Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Best Cricketer of the Past Twenty Five Years

Greatest Cricketer of the past twenty five years

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
With the retirement of Sachin Tendulkar, I wanted to get opinions on the best cricketer of the past twenty five years. For my money there are six contenders:-

Shane Warne
Sachin Tendulakar
Murali
Jacques Kallis
Adam Gilchrist
Brian Lara

Pollock & McGrath close but missing out on the shortlist.

Mutts Nuts

Oct 30, 2011
With the retirement of Sachin Tendulkar, I wanted to get opinions on the best cricketer of the past twenty five years. For my money there are six contenders:-

Shane Warne
Sachin Tendulakar
Murali
Jacques Kallis
Adam Gilchrist
Brian Lara

Pollock & McGrath close but missing out on the shortlist.

What the fvuk has Warney done to his face since he retired

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
Shane Warne is the best bowler of that time and Sachin Tendulkar the best batsman. Adam Gilchrist is arguably the biggest game changer in that time, really meaning thereafter that wicket keepers were expected to score runs down the order on a regular basis as much as being reliable glovemen. Australia could add 200 runs or more with their last 5 wickets because of his contribution which would take the match away from the opposition and it could happen quickly too because of the quick and destructive nature of his batting.

If I'm picking one player though, I'm going for Shane Warne. Leg spin was all but redundant in test cricket until he came along and was mainly deployed for defensive means. Warne came along and mixed the aggression/intimidation of a fast bowler with his technical finesse. He was also an absolute competitor. Even if Australia were in trouble batting, you knew you had to get him out early otherwise there was always the chance of a recovery. Don't think there has ever been a test batsman who has scored more runs in test cricket without scoring a century.

El Sid

May 10, 2012
West Sussex
Got to be Warne. I doubt anyone with a legal action will ever surpass his 708 wickets in tests. Truly remarkable.

He's still a tosser.

Last edited:

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Batsman - toss up between tendulkar and Lara

Bowler - warne

All rounder - for me kallis is probably the best all rounder ever, once he retires I'm sure he'll be viewed as such

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Kallis for me, can do it with bat and ball. His batting average at 55 is higher than that of Sachin, and he's taken nearly 300 wickets on top of that.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Kallis for me, can do it with bat and ball. His batting average at 55 is higher than that of Sachin, and he's taken nearly 300 wickets on top of that.

Also one of the very best slip catchers in World cricket, I think his on or around 200 catches in test match cricket.

Lewes' best seagull

Jan 31, 2008
Voted for Warne but got me wondering why I chose him over Murali.

He got more wickets (800/708) in fewer innings (230/278) at a better average (22/25) so why does Warne get so much more praise?

It's probably because of the furore Murali's action, and also because Warne tore England apart time and time again whereas we didn't see as much of Murali against England. Perhaps Murali was also aided by the pitches on the subcontinent.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Voted for Warne but got me wondering why I chose him over Murali.

He got more wickets (800/708) in fewer innings (230/278) at a better average (22/25) so why does Warne get so much more praise?

It's probably because of the furore Murali's action, and also because Warne tore England apart time and time again whereas we didn't see as much of Murali against England. Perhaps Murali was also aided by the pitches on the subcontinent.

Don't forget that for a lot of his career Warne had McGrath at the other end taking wickets as well. I think that, for this reason, he edges it over Murali despite having slightly inferior figures.

Overall though I'd say Gilchrist because of his ability to score at such a rate.

I do wish, however you'd made it the last 35 years and included Botham, still for me the best test player we've had ; could bat as well as Gilchrist and rip the opposition apart with the ball as a bonus.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I do wish, however you'd made it the last 35 years and included Botham, still for me the best test player we've had ; could bat as well as Gilchrist and rip the opposition apart with the ball as a bonus.

Not over a career though, it was moderate interspersed with genius.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
All rounder - for me kallis is probably the best all rounder ever, once he retires I'm sure he'll be viewed as such

A superb all rounder but all time? Sobers and Hadlee for me.

Additionally, there have only been 20odd occasions when a player got a ton and a five-for in the same test, Botham did it 5 times.

That said Kallis has been there or there abouts with bat, ball and in the field for pretty much all of his career.

To make up the 5 all rounders of all time I'd put Dev in there to make up numbers.

Another reason to have Sobers as the best all rounder ever is there is some debate over whether he was naturally fast medium or spin

Last edited:

Trevor

In my Fifties, still know nothing
NSC Patron
Dec 16, 2012
Milton Keynes
Shane Warne is the greatest of those cricketers. The reason that Murali got so many wickets as the other members of the Sri Lankan bowling attack did not get many. Warne therefore had fewer opportunities after say, Mcgrath had removed the top 3 before he could get started. (Tendulkar is the best Indian batsman ever) - Gilchrist is probably the best wicket-keeper I have seen - hard to choose between him and Alan Knott

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
Kallis has nearly as many runs as sachin at a better average. He also has almost 300 wickets. In odi he averages more and has about 250 wickets.

Remember kallis plays lots on bad pitches in sa. He averages ten more than his saffer team mates in sa. He has also not scored a truck load of runs vs Bangladesh like sachin.

Re sachin- Dravid averages about the same but scored more match winning centuries than sachin.

Trevor

In my Fifties, still know nothing
NSC Patron
Dec 16, 2012
Milton Keynes
Kallis frequently played down the order though - say at 6. Generally easier runs there. Excellent player though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here