Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Romain Vincelot is a very naughty boy....

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Romain Vincelot: Leyton Orient man banned for deliberate yellow

Leyton Orient midfielder Romain Vincelot has been given a one-match ban for deliberately picking up a yellow card in order to trigger a suspension.

The Football Association found him guilty of purposefully being cautioned against Southport in the FA Cup last week to register his fifth booking this term, and he was also fined £1,500.
The booking meant the 28-year-old missed Tuesday's Johnstone's Paint Trophy fixture against Stevenage.

Orient will not contest the decision.

The former Dagenham & Redbridge, Brighton and Gillingham player's suspension begins with immediate effect, meaning he will miss Saturday's League One fixture against Preston North End.
Players collecting five cautions between the start of the season and the end of December are automatically suspended for one first-team game, but Vincelot's booking against Southport meant he did not miss a league match.

The FA brought the charge "on the basis that his conduct was an attempt to undermine the purpose of the disciplinary process".
Russell Slade's Leyton Orient are currently top of League One, two points clear of second-placed Wolves.

Didn't Steve Foster try something similar to avoid missing the Cup Final?

KJP

Mar 2, 2011
Goring-by-Sea
Loads of player have done this. What did he do to get the booking? Surely the easiest thing would be to kick the ball away

gazingdown

Feb 26, 2011
It does seem to highlight a flaw with the rule (5 yellows = ban).

I would have thought a good system was a ban for the 5th yellow but if you have X (say 3 or 5) games without a yellow then the total gets set back to 0.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
or make it competition specific - so 5 yellows in the league means you miss a league match.
Sent off in the cup means you miss the next 3 CUP matches
[unify all cups for this purpose]

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
David Beckham did something similar for England once where he missed a qualifier against Azerbaijan rather than the following qualifier that was against a more illustrious opponent. Not saying it's right, but it goes on all the time especially at the lower end of the football pyramid and it is human nature.

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
Didn't Steve Foster try something similar to avoid missing the Cup Final?

He did indeed. Taken from the 'Marmite Men' section in the Arsenal FA Cup programme:

"On Saturday 30th April Albion, second from bottom of the table travelled to Notts County for a vital league fixture. In the first half Steve picked up what many regarded as an unfortunate booking which took him over 31 disciplinary points, triggering an automatic two-match suspension. Everyone connected with the club knew immediately what this meant - our inspirational captain would miss the FA Cup final. But there was still a way out. If Fozzie got sent off, the suspension would only be one game meaning he would be available for Wembley. Steve now faced what appeared to be an impossible dilemma. Should he get on with the job in hand, namely trying to preserve Albion's league skin? Or should he go all out to receive a second booking enabling him to play at Wembley on 21st May? To the dismay of many Albion supporters who had made the trip to the East Midlands, Fozzie chose the second option. Throughout the remainder of the game Steve did his level best to get man in the middle Norman Wilson to send him off. "I think I committed 22 fouls in the second half and the referee just refused to send me off" he would later recall. "At one stage their keeper kicked the ball and I jumped up, caught it, showed it to the referee and he said 'I'm not booking you'. He just wouldn't bend". Albion ended up losing the match 1-0 to edge closer to the relegation trapdoor. Steve had put the FA Cup first and now our league standing was in jeopardy."

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Naughty boy yes, but as others have said, he wasn't the first to do this, and he won't be that last. Naughty boy aside though, he has done wonders for Orient this season, and his no nonsense displays in the heart of their midfield is a big contributing factor to their success.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here