Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Eating horses might improve their welfare

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
We should eat all animals. You can't even buy pigeon or rabbit these days.

BlockDpete

Oct 8, 2005
We should eat all animals. You can't even buy pigeon or rabbit these days.

Really? I've bought both in tescos over recent years.

Though I'm surprised at friends who turn their noses up at rabbit, as its like eating a pet.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I think the specific horses that you eat would argue against the thread title.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
So let me get this right - the PRESIDENT of World Horse WELFARE has announced she supports an increase in the supply of horsemeat to supermarkets?

What next, the President of the World Wildlife Fund starting up "Panda Onesies Online"?

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
She makes a fair point, and it seems that animal charities seem to agree that the debate is worth having. If a horse is only worth a few quid, it is more likely to be maltreated. Whereas if the animal can be sold for meat, it will raise the value of the horse and therefore the owner is more likley to keep it in good condition.

smeariestbat

May 5, 2012
probably get slated for this, but here goes: battery farmed chickens aren't exactly the best kept animals but people still eat those. Whats stopping someone stuffing a barn with horses and doing the same, people will buy cheap meat.

awaits flaming...

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
probably get slated for this, but here goes: battery farmed chickens aren't exactly the best kept animals but people still eat those. Whats stopping someone stuffing a barn with horses and doing the same, people will buy cheap meat.

awaits flaming...

I think it is a point worth making. I would guess that the rearing of Horses for meat would be more similar to cattle however. Not that I know much about how well meat cattle are kept.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
She makes a fair point, and it seems that animal charities seem to agree that the debate is worth having. If a horse is only worth a few quid, it is more likely to be maltreated. Whereas if the animal can be sold for meat, it will raise the value of the horse and therefore the owner is more likley to keep it in good condition.

although we are Veggies ......this

awaits flaming...

I would hope like other farmed livestock other than birds they would be tagged and watched from birth to the Abattoir

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Had a surprise plateful put in front of me at multi course dinner once. As a Goodwood regular I was a tad shocked & to this day the only thing I have refused to eat on principle

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
Horse meat is nice. Not nearly as nice as ostrich though. Kangeroo is another very tasty meat, both far better than Cows

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here