Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Guillem Balague On Oscar Garcia

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
There's currently an #AskGuillem thing going on Twitter, so I asked him what he thinks of Oscar and how he reckons he'll get on here.

His response was "Fantastic that Brighton have given him a chance, and yes I think he'll be a great success"

Coming from an expert on Spanish football, I reckon that's a pretty good endorsement of our man's abilities. :thumbsup:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
From the other side I thinks it's fantastic that he agreed to join us :thumbsup:

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Guillem Balague was very high on Oscar when it was announced he was going to be our new manager. Balague has always spoken highly of Oscar.

Sloe Joe

Oct 7, 2010
Oscar is an understated , understated character, dude and football manager - we are lucky to have him
End of. Let's appreciate.

theonesmith

Oct 27, 2008
Precisely my response.

English football and Spanish football differ in many ways. They like to keep the ball, we're not so fussed. They like technical players, we like Akinfenwa type brutuses, and finally, they like managers with hair. We like Rustle Salad types. Game, set and match.

But a football match is a football match, and there is plenty of current international evidence to suggest that the 'English way' of playing football is seriously lagging behind that of other cultures & methods - so I still don't understand the point...

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
But a football match is a football match, and there is plenty of current international evidence to suggest that the 'English way' of playing football is seriously lagging behind that of other cultures & methods - so I still don't understand the point...

I'm with you on this why is it relevant? I think it's small minded and stereotypical to say the 'English' way is to like akinfenwa types, I actually think in this country there is a real array of different methods in all different divisions, from Villas-Boas to Sam Allardyce I think English fans in general appreciate all types of footballing styles, I certainly prefer the Spanish way rather than getting neck ache and I'm almost certain most people agree on this. Guillem Ballegue always speaks a lot of sense anyway.

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
It might be better if Guillem was an expert on English football.

He actually is an expert on European football but has a special knowledge of the Spanish game. I like the guy, his love of Espanol shows him to be a true supporter of football and not a celebrity lover of the 'big club'.

If he thinks Oscar will do well, then I believe it re-enforces our own belief.

TNBA

TTF

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here

Quite a good example of the shortcomings of English football on the telly last night.

The Hon Sec

Feb 23, 2009
Deep up County
What is English football? I believe the Germans believe Borussia Dortmund play an English style of game.

As their manager says 'it is fighting football. That is what I like. What we call in German 'English football': rainy day, heavy pitch, everybody is dirty in the face and they go home and can't play football for the next four weeks. This is Borussia.'

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
The top Germans have taken the English game to a level of speed, skill and physicality that we can only dream of.

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
It might be better if Guillem was an expert on English football.

In an ideal world yes. But he's Spanish, as is Oscar for Gods sake. Why do a minority on here need to seek the negative on each and every thread.
If say Gary Lineker was asked if Alex Ferguson was a good manager by a Spanish club, who could downplay his opinion that he was because Gary wasn't Spanish.
Bottom line is the only way we will ever find out is in the future. But good luck to him.

Sergei's Celebration

Jan 3, 2010
I've come back home.
Precisely my response.

English football and Spanish football differ in many ways. They like to keep the ball, we're not so fussed. They like technical players, we like Akinfenwa type brutuses, and finally, they like managers with hair. We like Rustle Salad types. Game, set and match.

I wonder if this is ninja being a WUM? If not it could be the silliest comment on hear for a while. 'We' needs to change to 'I' because you don't talk for me for a start.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
F. Why do a minority on here need to seek the negative on each and every thread.m.

That's NSC for you, over expectant so called fans.

Sometimes I think we are turning into a lower league Newcastle.

theonesmith

Oct 27, 2008
The top Germans have taken the English game to a level of speed, skill and physicality that we can only dream of.

Not sure necessarily that they've upped the speed and physicality, but my word yes when you combine those two characteristics with the technical abilities of players like Reus, Gundogan & Gotze, the football is breathtaking.

In all honesty, the debate and knowledge of football fans around how the game should be played ( and the scale of different qualities and varieties of examples of different play) has never been greater, and I can't help but think that now is a great time to be building an academy with a particular footballing identity from the ground up, following the examples set (as we did with our stadium) by the developments of the best clubs in the world.

Edit: I meant greater in terms of quality, but it serves a purpose in quantity too.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I wonder if this is ninja being a WUM? If not it could be the silliest comment on hear for a while. 'We' needs to change to 'I' because you don't talk for me for a start.

How on earth could a seemingly right minded person, as you always seem to be, possibly NOT read my previous post and spot the thinly veiled sarcasm? ??? I understand why people like The Wizard missed it, but I'm suprised you did.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here