Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brands having a bit of fun on the old Twitters

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
Saw a story today about how the social media agency (yes they have those now) that Tesco Mobile have employed to handle their Twitter were having a bit of fun this week, with a bunch of other brands and their social output teams (in house or otherwise):

http://www.marketingmagazine.co.uk/...arketingDailyBulletin&bulletin=marketingdaily

But do you think this is all good fun and makes the companies involved feel more human and "fun" or do you consider it a colossal waste of time and money?

Here's a sample segment of this Twitter conversation:

mobilefive.gif

brighton_girl87

Jul 18, 2006
I saw this on Buzzfeed we've been talking a lot about it in the office today. I'd love it if some of the brands I worked for had a similar sort of approach!

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
I saw this on Buzzfeed we've been talking a lot about it in the office today. I'd love it if some of the brands I worked for had a similar sort of approach!

I'm inclined to agree. Although it's obviously a lot easier for big recognisable brands to pull it off than it would be for more local businesses with a rather more dry set of products or services. I'd love to know what a social media agency would come up with to "boost engagement" for a local accountant or a traffic cone manufacturer.

Ultimately however, how much actual involvement is there for the companies in question? Do they have a brief for their social agency which they leave them to get on with, or are they going to be more hands on, vetoing the tweets they can't reply to, for instance?

Boris Yeltsin

MR PRESIDENT to you, mate
Feb 13, 2008
Moscow
We're all talking about Tesco and discussing their tweets.

Mission accomplished by Tesco, no?

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Opened the thread thinking it was something to do with Russell Brand :lol:

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
We're all talking about Tesco and discussing their tweets.

Mission accomplished by Tesco, no?

Oh absolutely. There's no such thing as bad publicity and all that. I'm just genuinely interested to know whether the general consensus is that this is a welcome bit of fun or if it just annoys people that there is a whole industry attached to such offerings. I mean there are teams of people in fancy London office suites sat in beanbag filled creative spaces discussing how they best retort via Twitter to a rival company's own nonsense ramblings. Is that REALLY a proper job?

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
If a tree falls in a forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?

Yes, it does. Sound exists whether there is someone to hear it or not. Sound is defined as vibrations "capable of" being heard audibly. Elephants and dogs can hear sounds that we cannot. Because we cannot hear them does not mean they do not exist.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Oh absolutely. There's no such thing as bad publicity and all that. I'm just genuinely interested to know whether the general consensus is that this is a welcome bit of fun or if it just annoys people that there is a whole industry attached to such offerings. I mean there are teams of people in fancy London office suites sat in beanbag filled creative spaces discussing how they best retort via Twitter to a rival company's own nonsense ramblings. Is that REALLY a proper job?

Tesco are JCL's (112k)....EVERYONE is following the lead of ASOS (575k followers)...If you see how they are spreading the word & literally taking over the fashion World with some staggering growth numbers it's very clear how it IS working (nb @ just £57 their shares are CHEAP!)

Dub-67

Sep 12, 2012
Mustafa and Buzzer are right.

Until a sound is 'heard' by a consciously aware entity, it is just a pressure wave.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here