Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Jon Lewis signs for Sussex (and Two Year Deal for Zaidi)

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
Sussex have signed veteran seam bowler Jon Lewis on a one-year contract following his departure from Surrey.

The 38-year-old former England player spent two seasons at the Oval after 17 years with Gloucestershire.

"I'm really excited to be joining Sussex, a club I have admired from a distance for a long time. I'm looking forward to a new challenge," he said.

"I am really confident that I can make valuable contributions to the team across all competitions."

Lewis, who made his first-class debut in 1995, only appeared in two County Championship games for Surrey in 2013, but featured regularly in both limited-overs formats.

He has taken 832 first-class wickets at an average of 26.15 during his 19-year career, and over 360 in the shorter forms of the game.

The medium-pacer's sole Test appearance came against Sri Lanka in 2006, but he also played in 13 one-day internationals and two Twenty20 matches for England between 2005 and 2007.

Sussex cricket manager Mark Robinson said securing Lewis' services for 2014 was "great news".

He added: "Jon brings a wealth of experience and knowhow. He is still remarkably fit and ambitious as to what he wants to achieve in the game.

"Jon bowled really well for Surrey last year in the Twenty20 competition, so he will not only give increased competition in the four-day team, but will give us greater options in one-day cricket."

Now all we need is a few BATSMEN...

Last edited by a moderator:

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Odd signing, can Sussex really afford to pay for a reasonably high profile player just for 1 day comps, or do they think he can still contribute 1st class?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I think the word " veteran " in the press release is very apt. At 38 I really don't see what he can offer us other than passing on experience to some of the youngsters. I'd much rather we had signed a 38 year old batsman rather than a bowler,as we all know, its a demanding job bowling as your aging joints start to creak.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I think the word " veteran " in the press release is very apt. At 38 I really don't see what he can offer us other than passing on experience to some of the youngsters. I'd much rather we had signed a 38 year old batsman rather than a bowler,as we all know, its a demanding job bowling as your aging joints start to creak.

Sachin Tendulkar might be kicking his heels for the foreseeable future.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Sachin Tendulkar might be kicking his heels for the foreseeable future.

A good batsman does not " wear " quite as much as a bowler but i'm willing to bet the Little Master has had enough of Willow and linseed oil now. The closest he will come to batting from now on will be wielding a bog brush.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Does he come with a 5 year guarantee ?

Very good :lolol:

In all seriousness, not convinced signing a 38 year old will add much. Sussex has some decent experience already. A 38 year old bowler is a difference prospect to a 38 year old batsman, let's hope it works out.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
I think it's a decent enough signing as a stop gap for a year. I think his limited overs game is the main reason why he has been signed, particularly 20/20 when we could with people being interested until the end of the competition.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Reliable enough signing, perhaps with a view to getting him involved on the coaching staff, I'm aussuming that at 38 we've not broke the bank to get him. Perhaps Robbo knows him and his character from their playing days?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Reliable enough signing, perhaps with a view to getting him involved on the coaching staff, I'm aussuming that at 38 we've not broke the bank to get him. Perhaps Robbo knows him and his character from their playing days?

Maybe he is the new coach " in waiting " ? Robbo could be hoist by his own petard

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
In the LVCC he bowled 60 overs and took 3/154.

He did not lose his wicket (in his one and only innings), so perhaps he has been signed as a batsman.

List A - 58 overs 13/323

Twenty20 - 35 overs 8/228

Perhaps he is signing on with a view to move on to our coaching team?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here