Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Student summer work??

irishprincess

Nov 14, 2013
Hello!
I'm currently in my second year of uni at home in Ireland, but was interested in possibly going to Brighton this coming summer, to work? This is just me thinking aloud at the moment, but Ireland is rather exceptionally miserable at the moment, and I fall in love with Brighton whenever I travel there. I thought it might be a good experience for a few friends and I to go over and just get some summer work, but I guess my question is, are short-term jobs difficult to come by? We'd be there for max. four months, and are employers stubborn in hiring non-locals (I know they are here)? So yeah, any help or thoughts are appreciated!
Anita

brighton_girl87

Jul 18, 2006
Whenever I used to come back home (to Brighton) during University Summer Holidays I always struggled to find a job.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2007
Toronto
You won't be alone in being a foreign student looking for a job during the summer, if you can get in early you might be lucky but I imagine the competition will be quite high.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Where are you thinking about living? Seriously expensive and I wouldnt imagine the hostels in Brighton are the nicest of places for Young 20 something girls to live in.

irishprincess

Nov 14, 2013
I'm studying English and Sociology, and have lots of experience with hotel work, but not sure if that's what i'd want to do there. Plus, a cheap flat might be hard to find for only a four month contract :/ Are there any places known for being good for student work? Certain companies/employers?

hello!
I'm currently in my second year of uni at home in ireland, but was interested in possibly going to brighton this coming summer, to work? This is just me thinking aloud at the moment, but ireland is rather exceptionally miserable at the moment, and i fall in love with brighton whenever i travel there. I thought it might be a good experience for a few friends and i to go over and just get some summer work, but i guess my question is, are short-term jobs difficult to come by? We'd be there for max. Four months, and are employers stubborn in hiring non-locals (i know they are here)? So yeah, any help or thoughts are appreciated!
Anita
66% greek

Ali_rrr

Feb 4, 2011
Utrecht, NL
The thing to do is apply now and hopefully some jobs will come along. But getting a flat in Brighton on minimum wage will be hard, so I suggest flat sharing with a friend or something. They're not stubborn as there's literally every ethnicity/sexuality/age doing some form of job in Brighton.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Wow, I rekon this is an NSC record - a post from a new female member and it's lasted 3 hours without someone writing something horrifically cringeworthy!

I've got no specific answer to the question, other than it's got to be do-able. I've met a few aussies and saffers doing bar and hotel work in brighton while travelling. Would staying in a hostel be an option? No idea what they're like but there's a few in town and it gives you a bit of flexibility to move around if you get bored.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
You'll more likely find short term employment in SE25.
If you have 4 months to spare, you'll probably have 2 months to yourself.

irishprincess

Nov 14, 2013
i work in a hotel at the moment, so could do something along those lines i guess... hmm hostels wouldn't be my first choice tbh, but are there any summer flats that you can rent? i know the city where i go to university (yeah, ireland has universities too! wow!) student halls and housing are rented out for the summer months (to both students or non student)

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here