Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mercury amalgam filling removal

cloud

Jun 12, 2011
Here, there and everywhere
Can anybody recommend a good place to get my mercury fillings removed. I'm looking for somewhere that's reasonable in price, but uses the proper techniques to avoid mercury contamination.

My dentist here in London doesn't seem that interested and I wouldn't trust her to use the recommended safe removal techniques.

hybrid_x

Banned
Jun 28, 2011
India has the best denists and super cheap for mercury removal........(but time and flight cost can impede).

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I've found chewing on a mint humbug or Cadbury's chocolate éclair effective in the past.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Is this for a medical reason or just to make yourself pretty?

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
India has the best denists and super cheap for mercury removal........(but time and flight cost can impede).

The best dentists in the world?

There is no reason why it shouldn't be the case of course, but I'd love to know on what scientific basis you've arrived at that conclusion.

cloud

Jun 12, 2011
Is this for a medical reason or just to make yourself pretty?

Yep for health reasons - several people I know have had chronic medical conditions clear up after having them removed, more energy etc.

Pretty? I don't normally let people look into the rear of my mouth...

I think I'll give India a miss, having seen first-hand the dental techniques in Hong Kong :eek: I want to stick to Blighty.

Sadly I can't leave my NHS dentist here as getting on their books is impossible in central London, but happy to go privately for this. But the nearest place here is charging £150-250 per filling.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Yep for health reasons - several people I know have had chronic medical conditions clear up after having them removed, more energy etc.

Pretty? I don't normally let people look into the rear of my mouth...

I think I'll give India a miss, having seen first-hand the dental techniques in Hong Kong :eek: I want to stick to Blighty.

Sadly I can't leave my NHS dentist here as getting on their books is impossible in central London, but happy to go privately for this. But the nearest place here is charging £150-250 per filling.

Sadly once these are removed you will find yet another wholly unjustified cause of an unspecific ailment to worry about.

Stick with this one for now, save you time and money.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Metal fillings have been used for 1,200 years. It's amazing how long it's taken to find a replacement.

cloud

Jun 12, 2011
Yes, I'm not against the metal, just the mercury. I'd happily go for gold or composite.
Only now is the EU in the process of banning mercury fillings, after how many decades.

US Seagull

Jul 17, 2003
Cleveland, OH
Yes, I'm not against the metal, just the mercury. I'd happily go for gold or composite.
Only now is the EU in the process of banning mercury fillings, after how many decades.

Mercury is a metal you moron.

Save you money and stop listening to quacks. Your fillings are harmless.

Chris45

Jul 29, 2010
Had all mine removed about 6 years ago, and it didn't make any difference that I noticed, I'm still permanently Knackered :yawn::yawn:

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Why do you think it is wholly unjustified?

Give me lists of your friends and family that have had any problems, then go onto your list of work colleagues and then anyone you know that have had any medical problems as a direct result of their fillings.

The vagueness of 'tiredness and a general feeling of meh' isn't an illness its a attitude of mind.

I promise you 'cloud' will lurch from one obscure unlikely cause to an unspecified illness to yet another one.

Its the 'worried well' with too much time and too much money to waste.

cloud

Jun 12, 2011
Mercury is a metal you moron.

Save you money and stop listening to quacks. Your fillings are harmless.

I'm well aware that Mercury is a heavy metal.

And this isn't really anything to do with 'quacks' - even the World Heath Organisation is dissuading the use of Mercury.

It's the same reason they are now moving away from using mercury compounds in medicines.

Aug 23, 2011
I'm well aware that Mercury is a heavy metal.

And this isn't really anything to do with 'quacks' - even the World Heath Organisation is dissuading the use of Mercury.

It's the same reason they are now moving away from using mercury compounds in medicines.

Not sure that article is saying they are dissuading the use. They state that the usage in dental is declining and the risk may be to the dentist rather than the patient.

One of the main reasons they are moving away from mercury in medicines is the disposal restrictions of any of the products that may contain small amounts of mercury and when you're manufacturing on a large scale you would breach environmental emissions of you poured it down the sink

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
The dentist may be concerned that digging out the mercury could cause problems than you may have now (a bit like artex containing asbestos!). If the dentist doesn't think it's a problem, then stop worrying!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here