Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Relationship between Talksport and Sky...

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Its no secret that Sky spends a great deal of money with Talksport, sponsoring their Drivetime show and numerous ads etc. But it appears to go beyond that at times, those at Sky are at times referred to as colleagues

So what is the relationship, I wasn't aware of any shared ownership between TS's owner and BskyB?

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
It is an interesting one. I've always assumed that that Sky, Talksport and The Sun were in bed together. And the now defunct News of the Screws. Think BTs win on the Champions League front is just another slow nail in their coffin.

Shuggie

Sep 19, 2003
East Sussex coast
Talksport is owned by Ulster Television. Obviously.

Jul 7, 2003
It is an interesting one. I've always assumed that that Sky, Talksport and The Sun were in bed together. And the now defunct News of the Screws. Think BTs win on the Champions League front is just another slow nail in their coffin.

Sky and The Sun are all part of the Murdoch empire (as are the Times, Fox and numerous other media outlets)

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

Interesting you mention BT. Their sucesss in winning on Champions League coverage was receiving a rather lukewarm response on the Monday night Sags & Collamore. They didn't seem happy at all Sky had lost out..

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
Sky and The Sun are all part of the Murdoch empire (as are the Times, Fox and numerous other media outlets)

Sorry, yes I knew that. Thought Talksport were wrapped up in that too. Mainly because that man Kelvin McKenzie went on to make them the tabloid radio shite it is today after leaving The Sun and Andy Gray and Richard Keys moved to Talksport after being sacked from Sky. That was my assumption. Am I wrong?

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
The only link I can add is Kelvin McKenzie was an executive of the group who sold talk sport to utv over 5 years back.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Sorry, yes I knew that. Thought Talksport were wrapped up in that too. Mainly because that man Kelvin McKenzie went on to make them the tabloid radio shite it is today after leaving The Sun and Andy Gray and Richard Keys moved to Talksport after being sacked from Sky. That was my assumption. Am I wrong?

McKenzie is long gone and like Gray / Key's they used to be on the Murdoc payroll, other than the UTV and BskyB are completely seperate right?

Shuggie

Sep 19, 2003
East Sussex coast

Talksport is still owned by Ulster Television. Obviously.

All their major shareholders (more than 3%) are investment funds as listed in their accounts. So talkSPORT is independent, hard though it is to believe.

Mind you, given that the radio stations generate only about a 10th of UTV's £120m turnover, its scale is irrelevant to Murdoch Inc.

I suspect UTV are happy for everyone to get the impression they've got Sky backing when clearly they haven't.

15. Substantial shareholdings
The Company has been notified of the following interests
representing 3% or more of the issued ordinary share capital
of the Company as at 31 December 2012.

TVC Holdings 17,240,262 17.98%
Organo Investments 10,257,696 10.69%
Fidelity International Limited 8,509,370 8.88%
BlackRock 5,299,216 5.52%
Milestone Trust 4,625,000 4.83%
Standard Life Investments 4,465,980 4.65%

Up to 18 March 2013 except for the holdings of ordinary
shares listed above, no party has notified an interest in the
ordinary shares of the Company which is required to be
recorded in the register under DTR5.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009

It's talkSPORT and snails not nails are slow

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Talksport is still owned by Ulster Television. Obviously.

All their major shareholders (more than 3%) are investment funds as listed in their accounts. So talkSPORT is independent, hard though it is to believe.

Mind you, given that the radio stations generate only about a 10th of UTV's £120m turnover, its scale is irrelevant to Murdoch Inc.

I suspect UTV are happy for everyone to get the impression they've got Sky backing when clearly they haven't.

15. Substantial shareholdings
The Company has been notified of the following interests
representing 3% or more of the issued ordinary share capital
of the Company as at 31 December 2012.

TVC Holdings 17,240,262 17.98%
Organo Investments 10,257,696 10.69%
Fidelity International Limited 8,509,370 8.88%
BlackRock 5,299,216 5.52%
Milestone Trust 4,625,000 4.83%
Standard Life Investments 4,465,980 4.65%

Up to 18 March 2013 except for the holdings of ordinary
shares listed above, no party has notified an interest in the
ordinary shares of the Company which is required to be
recorded in the register under DTR5.

So are there rules on editorial guidelines in the UK about favourable comment?

Shuggie

Sep 19, 2003
East Sussex coast
Sky seem untroubled by links with SkyBet Championship, Team Sky (bicycles) etc.

Product placement is now allowed in UK television.

I think it's only Auntie that tortures itself with the need to be unbiased. Everyone else does what they want subject to Ofcom rules and regs.

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
Does classic fm have any tie up with Sky or just use their news and give prizes from them etc like a years free subscription on a recent competition.

Not that I know of, but another of the leading commercial radio stations, Absolute Radio, I think has its Saturday afternoon football commentary programme sponsored by Sky. I would imagine their motivation is to align themselves with the commercial broadcasters because they are in competition with the BBC, as Sky itself is.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here