Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Video: Watford v Arsenal - Goalkeeper throws ball into own goal in 1982/83

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE

Sadly, I'm highly certain it's fake! Pretty good attempt, though...

The clip is from Murphy's Mob. Remember that?

Last edited:

dennis

Aug 1, 2007
Cornwall
As in the title it was from a TV show called Murphys Mob. They used Watford for a while and the Chairman was a pop star called Rasputin Jones. The filming moved to the Baseball Ground at a later stage. it was more about some kids who formed a supporters club rather than the team. from what I remember it was pretty good.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I may be a bit young to remember that, but I do remember an old ad - no idea what it was for - with a montage of ridiculous open goal misses that I seem to remember included a clip of a keeper over-arming it into his own net.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
I think there was a game in Mexico in the 80s where this did actually happen - remember them showing it on the Big Match or Saint and Greavsie. The keeper was in a rush to throw the ball out and it kind of stuck to his glove and as he pirouetted round he thew it into the goal. Bound to be on YouTube.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
As in the title it was from a TV show called Murphys Mob. They used Watford for a while and the Chairman was a pop star called Rasputin Jones. The filming moved to the Baseball Ground at a later stage. it was more about some kids who formed a supporters club rather than the team. from what I remember it was pretty good.

Spot on.

Might get down to watching it properly this evening, rather than just fast-forwarding it to the football clips. They showed a selection of real football footage from Watford's First Division matches.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Considering that the first clip is at Highbury, and then it switches to the goalkeeper that is at a completely different location / stadium (the goals are what they looked liked at Watford back in the 80'S)

Thanks! :)

Paddy B

Jul 5, 2003
Horsham
Considering that the first clip is at Highbury, and then it switches to the goalkeeper that is at a completely different location / stadium (the goals are what they looked liked at Watford back in the 80'S)

I reckon the clip of the keeper is at Stamford Bridge

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
It is a little know fact that the continuity team responsible for "Murphy's Mob" went on to work with Ridley Scott on his best picture Oscar winning blockbuster "Gladiator"...

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
It is a little know fact that the continuity team responsible for "Murphy's Mob" went on to work with Ridley Scott on his best picture Oscar winning blockbuster "Gladiator"...

:lolol:

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Definitely looks like Stamford Bridge when the goalie drops it into his own net.

I love the reaction of the fans to it. Just ever so slightly miffed. More of a tut than anything.

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
The first of Sprake's two notorious errors came in 1967 when Leeds played Liverpool in a League game at Anfield. Sprake was holding the ball and was set to throw it to the Leeds left back Terry Cooper, only to curtail his throw when he spotted Liverpool winger Ian Callaghan running towards the area he planned to throw the ball. Unfortunately for Sprake, the ball slipped out of his hands behind him and ended up in the net.[3][4] At half-time, the Liverpool tannoy-announcer played Careless Hands, a record by Des O'Connor, apparently in reference to Sprake's mistake, and during the second half Liverpool supporters on the Kop sang the song repeatedly to Sprake.[5] During his time at Leeds, fans of rival clubs – most notably those of Liverpool – gave Sprake the nickname "Careless Hands" as a result.
I have seen the video of this a few years ago... trying to find it now. Sprake was infamous for his keeping gaffes.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Gary Sprake of Leeds did it in front of the Kop many years ago if I remember correctly.

I remember that. He changed his mind just as he was about to throw it and swung round and through it into the net. Loved it, I truly hated Leeds in those days. Actually I still do.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
It's a mystery why they didn't use an actual goal from match seeing as it ended Arsenal 2-4 Watford.

Instead, they had to buy some complete Arsenal and Watford kits, hire some footballers, and shoot the catch and throw at Stamford Bridge...

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here