Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Where do I stand with this?

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
A couple of week ago I ordered a laptop from Dell. I ordered quite late in the evening, so my bank paused the payment momentarily while they checked with me that it was legit. Confirmed it and the order went through.

My bank account then reflected the money for said laptop being taken in the 'available amount' rather than my actual balance... then a few days later it went back up again.

The laptop has been built and has now been posted, and still no money has left my account for it.

Do I legally have to go to them to tell them if the laptop arrives and I've still not paid, or is it a case that if they don't chase it up it's their problem? I'll just put the money to one side anyway as it's more than likely they'll notice, but I did all of my parts of the transaction correctly so it feels like it's their own fault if they give me a free laptop!

Goring-by-Seagull

Jan 5, 2012
A similar thing happened to me, except with a few-hundred quid bracelet. The money didn't leave my account, plus, the good folk at the jewellers had sent me TWO! So I even had the added bonus of taking one back and getting a refund.

So I'd say sod 'em, im with you in that it's their fault, although it would probably be a good idea to keep the money aside for a month or two just incase.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Strictly legally? You owe them the money and should tell Dell that they haven't collected it, since it's theft otherwise.

If you decide to wait and see what happens - keep the money aside, just in case. It's likely that they will notice sooner or later.

Last edited:

shaolinpunk

Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
It's the money starting to go and then returning that really confused me

willyfantastic

Mar 1, 2009
A similar thing happened to me, except with a few-hundred quid bracelet. The money didn't leave my account, plus, the good folk at the jewellers had sent me TWO! So I even had the added bonus of taking one back and getting a refund.

So I'd say sod 'em, im with you in that it's their fault, although it would probably be a good idea to keep the money aside for a month or two just incase.

that's pretty low - you essentially ripped off a store twice - how does that differ from theft?

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
Who do you bank with ?
What time did you make the transaction ?
What is the model of laptop ?

Might try and replicate if we bank with the same people !

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton

Sorry, but that's a bit shitty.

shaolinpunk

Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
Yep, that is certainly weird. I guess it's possible that they won't notice, but I wouldn't bank on it.....

I've no problem with them taking the money - they're more than welcome and probably will... although if it does slip through the net unnoticed I won't mind

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea

So how comfortable are you admitting fraud/theft (one or the other or both) to the whole world on the internet, I don't know what's worse the fact that you did it or the bragging about it on here. Do you drive down the motorway filming you speedo to post on you tube when you get home.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
Sending kids down mines to find gold/jewels is a bit shitty. Getting a few hundred quid off a multimillion pound company who'd screw you over in a second if they had the opportunity isn't.

Sorry, I missed the part where a multimillion pound company was mentioned... And also the part where they screw people over.

But I guess you're right. At least it's not child labour.

Goring-by-Seagull

Jan 5, 2012
Yeah sorry, it is a massive jewellery chain, (not some little shop down town) you know, the type that if you did have any sort of problem with something they would try their utmost to do you over. It was a good few years ago now but none the less, a few hundred quid to a multimillion pound company shouldn't lose them any sleep.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Sending kids down mines to find gold/jewels is a bit shitty. Getting a few hundred quid off a multimillion pound company who'd screw you over in a second if they had the opportunity isn't.

where does it say its a multimillion pound company could be a one man band trying to keep his head above the water

Edit: ok he's now said it was, so its ok to steal from a big business then, I'm off to knick some poppy tins at lunchtime then, that's part of a mulitmillion pound business.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
If you knowingly obtain goods without payment, whether or not the seller has made a mistake which offered the opportunity, then it is theft. plain and simple.

Exactly the same as going into a shop and they hand you too much change or miss scanning an item - if you realise a mistake has been made then you are both morally and legally obliged to bring the mistake to the seller's notice.

Yes it's no doubt easy to get away with and difficult for anyone to prove intent for small value items but the larger the amount the easier this becomes - in any case who wants not only to be a thief but be known by others to be a thief? ???

love these threads. I notice when something like this crops up (I vaigly remember the outrage at a woman feeding her kids a stolen chicken in the co-op) around 50% of the replies are along the lines of "theft is theft" and it is "totally wrong on ALL counts" etc etc

regretfully these (very approximate) figures don't equate to the real world. In my 45 years I've witnessed a lot of people from a lot of different backgrounds that would get out of paying for anything if they could even if that meant lying and/or someone else being out of pocket

I admire those that are increadibly honest, and I despise low life theves but I'd like to know what percentage of the country would NEVER steal from their corner shop but would keep quiet if Tesco or Asda billed them £1.29 for their weekly shop instead of £129?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here