Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Australia Select ODI Players For ASHES

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Clutching at straws already. Mitch and Bailey. What a gamble or is it desperation?

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
After we prepared all these slow wickets at home; the Aussies have decided to prepare their kind of pitches in return - expect to see lots of fast, bouncy Perth-type wickets, remember we got hammered in Perth in the last tour, and Mitch was man of the match there. Bailey - he's a solid Aussie type cricketer. I expect we'll still win but it'll be a battle

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Hopefully Finn hits a run of form and the f****** will rue the day

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Have you seen the Aussies record in Brisbane?? It's quite staggering, I fear we're going to be in for a long hard winter if we play like we did for much of the summer.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Have you seen the Aussies record in Brisbane?? It's quite staggering, I fear we're going to be in for a long hard winter if we play like we did for much of the summer.

Is this the Brisbane where last time out it was a draw by we mentally screwed the Aussies with our second innings, to the cause them to be thrashed by an innings in Adelaide?

Just checking like.

Your assessment fails to take into account that the Aussies batting is still iffy. We did not play well in the summer, but we beat the with ease. Yes the pitches will be faster, but that can play into the hands of Broad plus which ever of Finn, Boyd or Tremlett they pick.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Is this the Brisbane where last time out it was a draw by we mentally screwed the Aussies with our second innings, to the cause them to be thrashed by an innings in Adelaide?

Just checking like.

Your assessment fails to take into account that the Aussies batting is still iffy. We did not play well in the summer, but we beat the with ease. Yes the pitches will be faster, but that can play into the hands of Broad plus which ever of Finn, Boyd or Tremlett they pick.

If Anderson can get in to a rhythm at one end with Broad softening them up at the other end we will have a fighting chance.

Paddy B

Jul 5, 2003
Horsham
I wont be writing the Aussies off just yet, we all know their bowling attack is as good if not better than ours but I think their batting line up was starting show signs of coming together towards the back end of the Summer as well.

Their likely top 7 at Brisbane will be Rogers, Warner, Watson, Clarke, Smith, Bailey, Haddin. When you add in the batting ability of their tail and the form of our batsmen (Bell aside) I would say they are favourites

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
I wont be writing the Aussies off just yet, we all know their bowling attack is as good if not better than ours but I think their batting line up was starting show signs of coming together towards the back end of the Summer as well.

Their likely top 7 at Brisbane will be Rogers, Warner, Watson, Clarke, Smith, Bailey, Haddin. When you add in the batting ability of their tail and the form of our batsmen (Bell aside) I would say they are favourites

Not sure their bowling attack is better. Swann or Monty are better spinners than Lyon.

Siddle is willing, but does he have the talent of Broad or Anderson? Johnson is Johnson, on fast pitches such as Perth or Johannesburg he is unplayable, but less favourable conditions he has been dismantled.

Their batting had a couple of good innings, but Smith is a place too high, Warner can score quickly, but get out quickly. Watson does not historically convert a good start. Rogers is a short term pick (as is Carberry for us). Clarke is their one world class bat.

You have to remember England's batting never got going in the summer, other than Bell and we still won with ease. It is a worry that the Aussies seem to have worked out how to get Trott out, but the others were form rather than technique.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
it will be close ....no-ones mentioned ryan harris yet......as good as johnson if not better....i'll go 2-1 series win England or drawn series.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
it will be close ....no-ones mentioned ryan harris yet......as good as johnson if not better....i'll go 2-1 series win England or drawn series.

A fit Ryan Harris could make the difference. I can't see him staying fit for the whole series though.

Paddy B

Jul 5, 2003
Horsham
Not sure their bowling attack is better. Swann or Monty are better spinners than Lyon.

Siddle is willing, but does he have the talent of Broad or Anderson? Johnson is Johnson, on fast pitches such as Perth or Johannesburg he is unplayable, but less favourable conditions he has been dismantled.

Their batting had a couple of good innings, but Smith is a place too high, Warner can score quickly, but get out quickly. Watson does not historically convert a good start. Rogers is a short term pick (as is Carberry for us). Clarke is their one world class bat.

You have to remember England's batting never got going in the summer, other than Bell and we still won with ease. It is a worry that the Aussies seem to have worked out how to get Trott out, but the others were form rather than technique.

I was thinking fast bowling attack but you are right we have the far better spin options.

I think getting 170 odd batting at 3 and being unstoppable in the ODI's dispels the Watson doesn't convert a start idea.

Maybe favourites is too strong but for me Lehman had turned the side played off the park at Trent Bridge into a very competitive one by the Oval.

Lets not forget that they probably would have won at OT and they actually could have won at the Oval as well, after having a 100+ lead on first innings.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Prepare yourselves for Australian wickets away from the WACA. Who was leading wicket taker and top of the averages in the 2006/7 Ashes whitewash? The swansong series for McGrath and Warne and Brett Lee still steaming in (no ball!).

Mitch will only put pressure on Harris, Siddle and Faulkner by going at 4.5 runs an over. If I am wrong, it's going to be a good series.

paddy B The Trent Bridge Test swung from team to team almost hourly this summer. It was comparable to the 2005 Series.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Whatever way you dice it up England are by far the best team on paper. The biggest threat remains England's often negative mindset; we have to go there aiming to win 5-0, rather than thinking a couple of wins will see us retain the Ashes.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I was pessimistically thinking 4-0. Come on, who was leading wicket taker in 2006/7 Ashes???

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
Mitchell Johnson a one day player? Lately he might have only played for Australia in that form of the game, but he has also got over 200 test wickets to his name. His previous record against England goes against him, but Ryan Harris and Peter Siddle aside, no-one else really nailed down the third seamer's role in the Ashes series in England. Given he's now 32, Australia's selectors might think he will be determined to prove he can bowl consistently and take wickets against England.

All said and done though, the only way I can see England not winning the series is if they get too complacent. Less because of Australia's bowlers but more because Clarke aside, I don't see anyone in that team who is going to make big hundreds when the pressure is on.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Mitchell Johnson a one day player? Lately he might have only played for Australia in that form of the game, but he has also got over 200 test wickets to his name. His previous record against England goes against him, but Ryan Harris and Peter Siddle aside, no-one else really nailed down the third seamer's role in the Ashes series in England. Given he's now 32, Australia's selectors might think he will be determined to prove he can bowl consistently and take wickets against England.

All said and done though, the only way I can see England not winning the series is if they get too complacent. Less because of Australia's bowlers but more because Clarke aside, I don't see anyone in that team who is going to make big hundreds when the pressure is on.

I think they'd rather have Pattinson, Starc, Cummins or Bird as third seamer but they're all injured. That aside Johnson can be a decent bowler on his day. However they are now really building up Mitch in Australia by touting him as the possible man of the series. Way to go, because if there's one thing we know about Mitch is that he really performs under pressure :lolol:

rcf0712

Out Here In The Perimeter
Feb 26, 2009
Perth, Western Australia
I think it will a lot closer than many think, in my opinion Australia were a bit unlucky in England earlier this year after the Lords humiliation and i see them on the improve myself. They have a very shrewd coach in Lehman, Clarke is as good a captain and batsman as any, Warner and Johnson are both definite X factors if they fire and Harris and a fired up Siddle at home are pretty good. I'm optimistic of retaining the urn but just don't see it as a fait acomplit by any means.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
2 0 England. I still don't think they have the bowlers to get 20 wickets.

Poppycock.

Harris & Siddle are more than capable and Johnson whilst erratic is a wicket taker. It's their ability to consistently post 400+ will be there downfall in my opinion.

The Aussie's bowling really isn't an issue in my mind they will take enough wickets its their batting which will let them down again.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here