Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Windows 8, why, how and Jesus Christ?

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
My son wanted a computer (his first) for his 12th birthday.

Along with our contribution and his savings we bought him his own computer. Now I have one running Windows 7 and one running XP. Can anyone explain why simple tasks incorporated in these suddenly require a f**king degree in computer science in 8?

It has taken me 2 hours to get his desktop to show a picture of the Amex (Bless him, first thing he wanted) whereas it takes me less than a minute to do the same on mine.

EDS

Banned
Nov 11, 2012
Windows 8 was an absolute nightmare for me, I remember I lost at least four hours one night just trying to figure the bloody thing out. What made the others easier to cope with in my opinion was the start button that was basically the door to doing most things and what most of us had become used to.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows-8/update-from-windows-8-tutorial

In the windows 8 update, available above. They have returned the start button which makes windows 8 so much easier to use, well it has for me. The thing I do not understand or use still is the apps screen, or whatever its called. I still go straight to desktop and only ever use that, my 12 year old though uses everything so it must be our ages.

Last edited:

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Windows 8 was an absolute nightmare for me, I remember I lost at least four hours one night just trying to figure the bloody thing out. What made the others easier to cope with in my opinion was the start button that was basically the door to doing most things and what most of us had become used to.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows-8/update-from-windows-8-tutorial

In the windows 8 update, available above. They have returned the start button which makes windows 8 so much easier to use, well it has for me. The thing I do not understand or use still is the apps screen, or whatever its called. I still go straight to desktop and only ever use that, my 12 year old though uses everything so it must be our ages.

I agree but having spent 19 years repairing aircraft albeit 10 years ago now, I do trust my ability to grasp new technology. However here I am unable to get the latest (well did eventually) photo of our Mecca, unable to show to great place adorning the computer to my impressed wife ( yeah right) and accepting that at 46 I'm too old.

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
My laptop didn't have the options of shutdown, restart or log off. So I've had to use a command prompt and shortcut it to my desktop. It has tried so hard to simplify computer usage, but made a terrible mess of it.

EDS

Banned
Nov 11, 2012
I agree but having spent 19 years repairing aircraft albeit 10 years ago now, I do trust my ability to grasp new technology. However here I am unable to get the latest (well did eventually) photo of our Mecca, unable to show to great place adorning the computer to my impressed wife ( yeah right) and accepting that at 46 I'm too old.

As I said update it to 8.1 and it brings back the start button which makes it more like the old operating systems. I am also good at grasping new technology but with windows 8 and a smartmouse, it is all about scrolling and swiping, one finger swipe for this, two finger swipe for that. If it was not for the fact I worked out how to turn it off I would have dropped it out of the window.
As for fixing aircraft, I dont even fix my own car.

EDS

Banned
Nov 11, 2012
My laptop didn't have the options of shutdown, restart or log off. So I've had to use a command prompt and shortcut it to my desktop. It has tried so hard to simplify computer usage, but made a terrible mess of it.

If does, you have to scroll/hover over the bottom right hand corner and five options will pop up, it is under settings.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

On my laptop you move the cursor to the right of the screen to bring up a side bar, click settings. There you can find the power icon (shut down, restart, sleep). It's also where you find the personalisation screen to change back drops etc, and the control panel.

I found it pretty simple to get used to.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Download Classic Shell. It makes things so much easier.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
dont use work arounds, it just encourages them. ditch it, say why and get a windows 7 machine. maybe in a years or two they'll ditch the thing like they did Vista. its not like the strategy of one OS every worked in the first place, its only the UI design thats common, nothing else is compatible.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
8 or 8.1? You'll be wanting the latter. It has a Start button and everything.

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
I've got a new laptop arriving soon which means I'll be on Windows 8. Fortunately Ninite has Classic Shell as one of its options so my time with Windows 8 being the bane of my existence should be minimal

Incidentally, if anyone gets a new computer and their first stop isn't Ninite.com it must just be that they don't know it exists

Last edited:

Gary Leeds

May 5, 2008
I had to install windows 8 on my computer to use certain software and hated the "metro" look and windows 8.1 only restores a start button that takes you back to the blocky screen rather than the full menu you get in every other version of windows so I installed start8 http://www.stardock.com/products/start8/ which gives you a proper windows 7 style start menu with all the shutdown, restart options. Well worth the $5 fee in my mind

crabface

Mar 24, 2012
8 or 8.1? You'll be wanting the latter. It has a Start button and everything.

8.1 is still very buggy though. Microsoft got it wrong, with Windows 8 and the tile screen however once you get used to it is rather straight forward.

jameswestport

Sep 7, 2011
I just use desktop the whole time, everything's in windows seven and as normal from there. life saver

on mine u just click the flag button to get into it or u may have a tile saying desktop, also you can switch your proffered browser to desktop version

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
I've got a new laptop arriving soon which means I'll be on Windows 8. Fortunately Ninite has Classic Shell as one of its options so my time with Windows 8 being the bane of my existence should be minimal

Incidentally, if anyone gets a new computer and their first stop isn't Ninite.com it must just be that they don't know it exists
It looks good. I have a five year old small laptop computer at home but it might as well be new for all that I have managed to get working on it...

I am at work at the moment but if I use ninite.com tonight will it really just load all that stuff on? Do you have to pay to have "Office" (Word, Powerpoint, Excel, etc) and security anti-virus...?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here