Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

U21 v ipswich

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Sorry if fixtures . Good result tonight 3-1 Barker and goodwin2

It is a fixture, so there is no need to be sorry.

A strong squad for Ipswich, according to their Twitter feed. I recognise a few names...

U21S: Loach, Hewitt, Wearen, Clarke, Timlin, Veseli, Berkane, Wordsworth, Hunt, Doherty, Lee #ITFC

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Barker in the last couple of years seems not to have made "the next step". Goodwin is showing signs that he just might......

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Barker hasn't been given the chance. Simple as that. Whilst we've chased the dream, we have abandoned our young players. Even this season we chose to sign Lita rather than play him. We chose to sign Conway to prevent playing March or Dickensen. Which is a lame policy in my opinion.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Need to get barker and march out on loan to league 2 clubs once players return in December.

Why wait? We have no intention to play him in a meaningful match.

Have to agree. I think its a massive shame March hasnt been given more minutes and our promising young strikers dont get 10 to 15 mins at the end of games to see what they can do.

He showed against Norwich in the friendly he was ready to kick on. But what is he doing? Behind held back. By a guy who is here for 3 months, and will be forgotten overnight. JFC and Ince are playing only through necessity. How do we expect our players to develop when we prefer to sign a loanee, which isn't cheap by the way.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Barker hasn't been given the chance. Simple as that. Whilst we've chased the dream, we have abandoned our young players. Even this season we chose to sign Lita rather than play him. We chose to sign Conway to prevent playing March or Dickensen. Which is a lame policy in my opinion.

Maybe Oscar doesn't think they're good enough? Barker was on the bench for the final league game last season but was about the extent of it. That's two managers who haven't thought he could make the step up. JFC played under Gus until he got injured and is playing now.
I doubt that there is a policy to hold back talented youngsters.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Maybe Oscar doesn't think they're good enough? Barker was on the bench for the final league game last season but was about the extent of it. That's two managers who haven't thought he could make the step up. JFC played under Gus until he got injured and is playing now.
I doubt that there is a policy to hold back talented youngsters.

Maybe. Oscar his own man, as was Gus. Personally, I find it easier to excuse Gus not taking the chance to blood our younger players as he was going all out for promotion.

This season the pressure is off. Nobody expects anything at all, and we've had players injured all over the show, and not to mention the constant references to FFP. Perfeft chance to give March, Barker and Dickensen a go, alongside JFC and Ince who have had their chance and snatched it. Good for them. But the story for the others will have to be written elsewhere because we have chosen not to play them.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
At this point I don't think Barker is going to make the step up, he's 22 and not even close to the first team whilst other young players start regularly. Hasn't ever looked up to it when I've seen him play.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
At this point I don't think Barker is going to make the step up, he's 22 and not even close to the first team whilst other young players start regularly. Hasn't ever looked up to it when I've seen him play.

What do you expect? To get up to standard he needs the chance to play and develop, you can only improve so much sitting around watching, and playing non-competitive kickabouts with players similarly plodding about not being played because it is the safe option not to.

Also, you mention "other young players start regularly". Two, JFC and Ince. Because we have an insistence on playing 3 central midfielders (ironically to the detriment of Barker and probably Barjes and Lita too), they have had to plug gaps as they have appeared. The signing of Keith Andrews after Kemy Agustien was meant to block them both, but sadly both experienced players were injured at the same time as Bridcutt and boom, no choice but to play both. Otherwise, Ince isn't in the squad. JFC has made himself untouchable on this form. Good things do come from being forced to play players you didn't mean to.

Simon Mignolet at Sunderland for example. Look it up, there is an interview where Steve Bruce specifically said he was third choice. But two injuries (Craig Gordon being one of them) meant he played. And kept the shirt until Liverpool bought him.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut

Ince and JFC have both been given a step up from the DS though

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
Maybe. Oscar his own man, as was Gus. Personally, I find it easier to excuse Gus not taking the chance to blood our younger players as he was going all out for promotion.

This season the pressure is off. Nobody expects anything at all, and we've had players injured all over the show, and not to mention the constant references to FFP. Perfeft chance to give March, Barker and Dickensen a go, longtime JFC and Ince who have had their chance and snatched it. Good for them. But the story for the others will have to be written elsewhere because we have chosen not to play them.

I don't agree that "nobody expects anything at all" as I'm sure many others will say....I think our expectations are still high but would accept that Garcia would be given time if things don't work out this season.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

exactly.....with the squad racked with injuries i'm not sure i'd have liked to see 4 relatively inexperienced players trying to compete in the championship..i don't think one could say the pressure is ever off in this league....few defeats your down the bottom...and vice versa

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Barker might be okay as part of a front two, but not strong enough to play up front by himself. Given that Oscar plays 4-5-1 I think he will struggle.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009

Given a atep up? That would suggest an element of choice in their selection. I don't believe there was any way they couldn't have been picked at the times they were. When we have a full squad, it will be interesting see how much game time JFC will get. Ince won't get any.

I don't agree that "nobody expects anything at all" as I'm sure many others will say....I think our expectations are still high but would accept that Garcia would be given time if things don't work out this season.

Anything other than midtable league learning is a bonus this season. Although things are coming together faster than I expected. We're very good against the dross in the division, which is handy.

Barker might be okay as part of a front two, but not strong enough to play up front by himself. Given that Oscar plays 4-5-1 I think he will struggle.

I don't disagree. But what's all this talk of Plan B that Oscar has but Gus didn't? Both seem very rigid on not changing, despite the options there are in the squad. How often have we seen Buckley struggle a more central role than he is capable of playing?

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
Anything other than midtable league learning is a bonus this season. Although things are coming together faster than I expected. We're very good against the dross in the division, which is handy.

So already your low expectations are proving to be wrong.

My expectations at the start of the season were to better last season. ...it's all about opinions. ..

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here