Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

iPhone problem (water damaged) can I retrieve my data / pics / vids?

HalifaxSeagull

Aug 24, 2010
Hi all,

Question for techies... I recently (5 days) dropped my phone in the wash basin. Since then it has been has been in a warm place in rice for days now, if you phone it, it rings and I can answer it but the screen is still black so I can't see who's ringing or ring out. The screen is completely blank all the time. Is there any way I can plug it in to another ipad or laptop to download all the photos / vids / contacts / msgs from it? I've just tried and it asks me to unlock the phone to allow access any ideas?!

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Hi all,

Question for techies... I recently (5 days) dropped my phone in the wash basin. Since then it has been has been in a warm place in rice for days now, if you phone it, it rings and I can answer it but the screen is still black so I can't see who's ringing or ring out. The screen is completely blank all the time. Is there any way I can plug it in to another ipad or laptop to download all the photos / vids / contacts / msgs from it? I've just tried and it asks me to unlock the phone to allow access any ideas?!

Try a bit longer in the rice/airing cupboard? Various examples of this to be found if you google it.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Hi all,

http://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/85432/how-to-backup-an-iphone-with-a-black-blank-screen

wolfie

Jul 19, 2003
Warwickshire
I'm not a techie, but I heard that some people give their laptops a wash now and again (having switched them off obviously) Once dried out completely, they work better !

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Is it not all backed up onto iCloud?

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
My phone and IPad keeps telling they have been backed up to iCloud, how do access iCloud to see whats there?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
My phone and IPad keeps telling they have been backed up to iCloud, how do access iCloud to see whats there?

iCloud is a confusing concept from Apple if you ask me. SugarSync allows you to sync folders, to multiple devices where you can see these folders on each device and view them on a weblink from any browser.

If you go to https://www.icloud.com/ you can view your synced iCal, contacts, notes and Apple docs, but not your photos or apps. For that you need iPhoto and PhotoStream for the photos, and iTunes for your Apps. It's clunky if you ask me. Why can't I go to any web browser and view exactly what is in iCloud, not just the iCal info etc.? It was supposed to be an improvement from MobileMe, but it's more confusing than before.

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
Take it to this place in Shoreham. They're very helpful, and will be able to tell you
a) whether the phone is b******d
b) whether anything's retrievable.
Happened to me, and they sorted it. Best not to keep turning it on yourself though, even if you think it's tried out, because if there's any moisture left that could cause a short circuit with further damage.
http://www.ukipodrepairs.co.uk/about_ipod_repairs
if you're stuff's backed up on Icloud and you do need a new phone, however, you can get it all back just by restoring your phone to a new handset.

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
Take it to this place in Shoreham. They're very helpful, and will be able to tell you
a) whether the phone is b******d
b) whether anything's retrievable.
Happened to me, and they sorted it. Best not to keep turning it on yourself though, even if you think it's tried out, because if there's any moisture left that could cause a short circuit with further damage.
http://www.ukipodrepairs.co.uk/about_ipod_repairs
if you're stuff's backed up on Icloud and you do need a new phone, however, you can get it all back just by restoring your phone to a new handset.

Sorry -- just noticed your location. Shoreham no good!

HalifaxSeagull

Aug 24, 2010
Thanks all, it's back in the rice (risotto rice - all I've got left) and in airing cupboard. I'm hoping it's covered on my Barclays current account phone insurance...

Ps Shoreham is a bit of a trek from here, but thanks for the suggestion!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here