Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Members

Two minutes silence on 11/11th every year

0 Not allowed!
    Should we stop all traffic to show our respects once a year for two minutes to show our respect for all those that gave some much so we can have freedom. Did you stop and reflect for two minutes.
    THOSE IN GLASS PALACES SHOULD NOT THROW BRICKS

• North Stand Chat

advertising

Moving further North... strings's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
      I did stop in silence for two minutes.

However, I strongly believe that we should not force others to be silent (i.e. by stopping traffic - literal and figurative). Others fought so that we have the freedom to make our own choices, including the choice to remember the dead. Additionally, I believe, the moment a silence becomes mandatory, it loses its meaning - I have a silence because I want to remember the dead, not because I have to.
      Purple Goalie shorts appreciation society

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by strings View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

However, I strongly believe that we should not force others to be silent (i.e. by stopping traffic - literal and figurative). Others fought so that we have the freedom to make our own choices, including the choice to remember the dead. Additionally, I believe, the moment a silence becomes mandatory, it loses its meaning - I have a silence because I want to remember the dead, not because I have to.
      well said strings. it worries me slightly that some people want to turn remembrance into some sort of display. keep it dignified and traditional. why people feel the need to tweak it and discuss ways of making it better or more dramatic baffles me. we remember our friends, family, and strangers who gave their lives for us. thats solemn enough for me. if you think that turning off an advertising hoarding will make a difference to peoples memories or sentiments and gratitude, then that worries me.
      Pig City

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by strings View Post

I have to agree with this.

I was moved at the Amex on Saturday, and also went to a service yesterday as my kids were in a cub/beaver parade to Easthill Park. I think things like radio broadcasts stopping to observe the silence (and this site closing for 2mins) are a good idea, but there should never be anything 'mandatory' about forcing people to observe this.
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      Stopping all traffic would be not practical but they could stop traffic driving past a war memorial while the public show there respects if you can put in a diversion in. I think they stopped the traffic in some parts of London.
      THOSE IN GLASS PALACES SHOULD NOT THROW BRICKS

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by The Birdman View Post
      Stopping all traffic would be not practical but they could stop traffic driving past a war memorial while the public show there respects if you can put in a diversion in. I think they stopped the traffic in some parts of London.
      what about planes
      Pig City
      Struggling for breath at the top of the stairs

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by The Birdman View Post
      They do, around Parliament Square during the silence at Westminster Abbey at the garden of Remembrance service.

But I'm firmly in the "you cannot impose this on anyone" camp.
      I will not make any deals with you. I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own,

0 Not allowed!
      Pretty much all responses are spot on. Remember them because you want to, not because someone else is telling you to.
      ""Football. F***ing football. Imagine not being into it. Those poor, poor half-alive ********."

0 Not allowed!
      I was on a bus and the driver held it at the bus stop. Told everyone in advance he was going to do that.

0 Not allowed!
      I did stop for 2 minutes, the least one can do (if it is possible of course!) in remembrance of all those brave people who lost their lives. Personally I think its important we don't lose certain values, and the 2 minutes silence is something I have always remembered and respected.