Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Two minutes silence on 11/11th every year

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
Should we stop all traffic to show our respects once a year for two minutes to show our respect for all those that gave some much so we can have freedom. Did you stop and reflect for two minutes.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
I did stop in silence for two minutes.

However, I strongly believe that we should not force others to be silent (i.e. by stopping traffic - literal and figurative). Others fought so that we have the freedom to make our own choices, including the choice to remember the dead. Additionally, I believe, the moment a silence becomes mandatory, it loses its meaning - I have a silence because I want to remember the dead, not because I have to.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P

However, I strongly believe that we should not force others to be silent (i.e. by stopping traffic - literal and figurative). Others fought so that we have the freedom to make our own choices, including the choice to remember the dead. Additionally, I believe, the moment a silence becomes mandatory, it loses its meaning - I have a silence because I want to remember the dead, not because I have to.

well said strings. it worries me slightly that some people want to turn remembrance into some sort of display. keep it dignified and traditional. why people feel the need to tweak it and discuss ways of making it better or more dramatic baffles me. we remember our friends, family, and strangers who gave their lives for us. thats solemn enough for me. if you think that turning off an advertising hoarding will make a difference to peoples memories or sentiments and gratitude, then that worries me.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

I have to agree with this.

I was moved at the Amex on Saturday, and also went to a service yesterday as my kids were in a cub/beaver parade to Easthill Park. I think things like radio broadcasts stopping to observe the silence (and this site closing for 2mins) are a good idea, but there should never be anything 'mandatory' about forcing people to observe this.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
Stopping all traffic would be not practical but they could stop traffic driving past a war memorial while the public show there respects if you can put in a diversion in. I think they stopped the traffic in some parts of London.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
Stopping all traffic would be not practical but they could stop traffic driving past a war memorial while the public show there respects if you can put in a diversion in. I think they stopped the traffic in some parts of London.

what about planes

They do, around Parliament Square during the silence at Westminster Abbey at the garden of Remembrance service.

But I'm firmly in the "you cannot impose this on anyone" camp.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Pretty much all responses are spot on. Remember them because you want to, not because someone else is telling you to.

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
I was on a bus and the driver held it at the bus stop. Told everyone in advance he was going to do that.

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
I did stop for 2 minutes, the least one can do (if it is possible of course!) in remembrance of all those brave people who lost their lives. Personally I think its important we don't lose certain values, and the 2 minutes silence is something I have always remembered and respected.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
what about planes

Cut the engines, 2 minutes isn't long enough for them to hit the floor if they're high enough, they'll be able to climb back up again.

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
On the subject in general agree with other posts. I have noticed this year that there are more poppies on display by individuals than normal and I think there has been a concerted effort. Not least because 68 years on from the last world war we are close to there being very few or no survivors who fought, still alive today. It was lovely yesterday while I was in a pub to see a young man, about 25-30 I'd have thought pay for two men's drinks. He didn't know them but they were wearing their medals and said it's something he and his family do every year.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
I strongly believe that we should not force others to be silent (i.e. by stopping traffic - literal and figurative). Others fought so that we have the freedom to make our own choices, including the choice to remember the dead. Additionally, I believe, the moment a silence becomes mandatory, it loses its meaning - I have a silence because I want to remember the dead, not because I have to.

This is correct.

However I do believe that one "two minute silence" each year is sufficient. Currently we appear to have one on the nearest Sunday to the 11th and one on the 11th itself. And of course a minute's silence at the game on Saturday.

The news item about the rememberance service at Camp Bastion yesterday really highlighted the futility of war, particularly our recent "adventures". 400+ British military killed in Afghanistan. For what? What a waste of young lives.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
I did stop for 2 minutes, the least one can do (if it is possible of course!) in remembrance of all those brave people who lost their lives. Personally I think its important we don't lose certain values, and the 2 minutes silence is something I have always remembered and respected.
Well said that's what I was hoping NSC members would say!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
well said strings. it worries me slightly that some people want to turn remembrance into some sort of display. keep it dignified and traditional. why people feel the need to tweak it and discuss ways of making it better or more dramatic baffles me. we remember our friends, family, and strangers who gave their lives for us. thats solemn enough for me. if you think that turning off an advertising hoarding will make a difference to peoples memories or sentiments and gratitude, then that worries me.

I agree with this.

Renns

Renns Junior
Nov 8, 2006
Huddersfield/Birmingham

100% agree with this.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Should we stop all traffic to show our respects once a year for two minutes to show our respect for all those that gave some much so we can have freedom. Did you stop and reflect for two minutes.

I was in the doctors waiting room this morning at the time. They announced a 2 minute silence, and it all went quiet except for two women who just keep talking - despite my withering glare.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here