Mar 18, 2010
Hove
2011-12
P15 W5 D5 L5 GD0 PTS 20

2012-13
P15 W6 D5 L4 GD8 PTS 23

2013-14
P15 W5 D6 L4 GD4 PTS 21

The progress of the team under the new management is pretty impressive. While we are behind where we were last season, given the summer turmoil and number of injuries we've had, we appear to be settling down into a competitive position in the league, and starting to look like being a top 8 side.

Once Bridcutt is fully fit, Ulloa, Orlandi, then people like CMS, Hoskins we look very strong in all areas. Reasons to start being cautiously optimistic I think*.

(*until the next defeat when threads can be started as to how long Oscar should be given with relegation staring us in the face!)

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
The progress of the team under the new management is pretty impressive. While we are behind where we were last season, given the summer turmoil and number of injuries we've had, we appear to be settling down into a competitive position in the league, and starting to look like being a top 8 side.

Once Bridcutt is fully fit, Ulloa, Orlandi, then people like CMS, Hoskins we look very strong in all areas. Reasons to start being cautiously optimistic I think*.

Yep.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
So the difference with last year is no 5-1 victory over Barnsley.

Let's set that right on December 3.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Good stats. I agree Oscar has done very well in the circumstances and I for one am right behind him.

The other interesting stat, however, is how we have fared in the same fixtures as last year. On this basis I make it we are 5 points worse off against the same teams. This is largely because 3 of our defeats (Leeds and Ipswich away plus Derby at home) were won last season.

PG

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Good stats. I agree Oscar has done very well in the circumstances and I for one am right behind him.

The other interesting stat, however, is how we have fared in the same fixtures as last year. On this basis I make it we are5 points worse off against the same teams. This is largely because 3 of our defeats (Leeds and Ipswich away plus Derby at home) have been lost, which were won last season.

PG

I think who we have played is largely irrelevant for a comparison isn't it? Various teams are stonger/weaker from season to season. Burnley being a prime example.

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
Messi's out for two months. Need some game time in January to regain fitness. GOT to be, hasn't it ?

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
It's highly impressive given the situation we've been in. The important thing is to fit the injured players back in. The other thing I think we'll see is that Spanish Dave will be much better than so far. He really gelled with Orlandi last year and when he is back I think we will see the brilliant Dave from the second half of last season.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
On paper, Blackburn were the stronger side on Saturday. I think it turns out that our young manager is better than their young manager.
It was just a day when things went our way. We've had plenty of games where we were the better side and come away with a point or worse, and we were generally poor on Saturday and won 3 nil. Tha's football.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
It was just a day when things went our way. We've had plenty of games where we were the better side and come away with a point or worse, and we were generally poor on Saturday and won 3 nil. Tha's football.

We were clinical for the first time this season.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
With the influx of Barca B players to come in January, things do look like they're slotting into place for a play off spot!!!

The Barca B that are 20th out of 22 teams in the second division, and lost 7 of the last 8 games? Getting spanked 3-0 on Saturday by the mighty Real Jaén. They also let Fran Sandaza score against them earlier in the season.

Although that is mainly down to the ineptness of the coach Eusebio rather than the players to be fair.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
I think Tony Bloom has chosen a manager with the right credentials and the right temperament - someone who has the potential to slot very neatly into the club's medium and longer-term plans in a way Gus was never likely to.

I don't expect or necessarily want promotion this season. But I'm pretty confident that as a club we're making steady progress and am glad we're not rushing things.

And ... of course talk is cheap and nobody is fooled by badge-kissing and "the fans are brilliant" statements, but it is nice that Oscar acknowledges the crowd and says thoughtful things in interviews despite his limited English. He seems like an excellent choice on every level.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Too sensible.

Why did Oscar not say that Saturday's win was the biggest of his career?? Why?? WHY!!!!?? :cry:

Because it probably wasn't...... and he is honest, just as Gus is being at Sunderland.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
I think Tony Bloom has chosen a manager with the right credentials and the right temperament - someone who has the potential to slot very neatly into the club's medium and longer-term plans in a way Gus was never likely to.

I don't expect or necessarily want promotion this season. But I'm pretty confident that as a club we're making steady progress and am glad we're not rushing things.

And ... of course talk is cheap and nobody is fooled by badge-kissing and "the fans are brilliant" statements, but it is nice that Oscar acknowledges the crowd and says thoughtful things in interviews despite his limited English. He seems like an excellent choice on every level.

Excellent level-headed and sensible post. I agree particularly with the assessment of Oscar as "thoughtful", and delight in that fact.

I do, though, think that we might surprise a few people before the end of the season, although will not be disappointed if we don't

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Would those medium and long term plans, on the playing side, be the ones laid down by Gus?

I'm very pro Oscar and have been since the Burnley game.
The changes he implemented after Derby, were not only so obvious I could see them, but they were attacking and put us on the front foot.

But with that said, dismissing and airbrushing Gus from history is churlish at best, and down right idiotic at worst.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither

Agreed. (apart from the not necessarily wanting promotion bit).

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
An interesting stat, but what about comparing our League position with the last two seasons? That way we can tell just how much more/less competitive and trickier this season is compared to previous years.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here