Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Trying to remember my first game - can you help?

Steve in Japan

NSC Patreon
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne
Am trying to recall my first visit to the Goldstone Ground. I know it was vs Leeds, late 70`s or early 80`s, I know it was a warm day, ground was packed and I think something kicked off in Hove Park afterwards. My other recollection is a bit of racist chanting going on at one of the visitors - thankfully the game has moved on a long way since then. Whats really strange is I don`t remember the score. So October 79, May 81 or maybe March 1982 seem possible but can anybody help an old man pin this down?

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Probably racist chanting at Terry Connor for diving. October '79, I reckon.

curly69

Jan 4, 2006
sydney
If it is the same one 0-0 and some of there fans got in the north stand some fat bloke arms going mad.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Cheers and that would make sense, except I thought Connor made his debut for Leeds a month later than that

You may be right. I might have got confused with the return match at Elland Road.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
May the 2nd 1981.Last game of the season?

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
If it was a warm day, it was the day I was sitting in Hove Park enjoying a nice cuppa when 300-400 Leeds suddenly appeared on the horizon. The refreshment kiosk area emptied like a stampede. The only people still in the park 20 seconds later, were those playing tennis. ( Just a bit of irrelevant nonsense...I can't remember the date!

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
There were Leeds in the north stand. Was going to get the train from Hove Station after the match, but it was obvious it was all going to kick off so thought better of it and opted to get a lift back with a couple of mates instead. Big mistake. They'd parked on the other side of Hove Park - and we got chased across it by a pack of about 20 Leeds hoolies.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
I keep glancing at this thread and thinking it says Trying to remember my first name.

I am sure there are some people on here who find that quite difficult.

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
IMG_0001.jpg

The last in the great escape games

backson

Registered Mis-user
Jul 26, 2004
May 81 was my second ever game, it was definitely sunny, and we won 2-0. I think Ritchie might have scored one of them. Don't remember any trouble or racism, but I was only 9 so it might have passed me by.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
If you look on YouTube, I've uploaded the video to the May 1981 match....

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here