Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sports literature

patcham seagulls

Jul 9, 2003
patcham
For me there's nothing better than a good book.

Thankfully football literature has significantly improved from the bland shoot and match annuals, which seemed to be the only ones available before the pre- sky tv boom. (Don't get me started on the hooligan stories)

Of course these days, just about any ex-pro who kicked a ball in the direction of an opposition goal or demanded a transfer, uses 'his side of the story' to supplement his pension fund.

As a result many publications are tedious affairs, and certainly not worthy of the time and money spent on them.

NSC users, please place your recommendations here. And give a brief description of why you believe the book is worth the investment.

I'll start things rolling with ' every boys dream' by Chris Green.

It details the more often than not story of elite youth football in this country, and documents the frequent poor practice applied by many so called professional English football clubs.

Your turn please

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
The Nowhere Men by Mike Calvin, about scouts. Decent stuff about the Albion, but all good.

I am Zlatan Ibrahimovic by, er well it's obvious really. One of the best and most honest player autobiographies. Also Steve Claridge's Tales From The Boot Camps.

The Far Corner by Harry Pearson, about football in the North East at all levels. Very funny.

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
The Football Man by Arthur Hopcraft - classic 60's reportage.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Hand of God by Jimmy Burns. Read it years ago and remember thinking it was excellent.

Has anyone read Sid Lowe's history of El Clasico? Am tempted to get that as I really enjoy his stuff.

FA Confidential - great insight into the England dressing room & the FA post-Graham Taylor to Sven from David Davies.

Build a bonfire & We want Falmer - don't really need to explain why on those two.

Death or Glory: The Dark History of the World Cup by John Spurling. Some incredible stories from the World Cup that go beyond what happens on the pitch, from Zaire under Mobutu at the 74 WC, east germany meeting west in the same tournament, to the murder of Andres Escobar and much more.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
The Last Great Game: Duke vs. Kentucky and the 2.1 Seconds That Changed Basketball by Gene Wojciechowski

A terrific book about one of the most famous moments in college basketball. An utterly compelling read.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Just finished reading I am Zlatan Ibrahimovic. Very honest and interesting read. Best autobiography I have read in a long time.

My Father And Other Working Class Football Heroes by Gary Imlach is one of the best football books I have ever read.

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
The Beautiful Game?: Searching the Soul of Football - David Conn

Easily one of the best books I've ever read. It did cause my blood to boil more than once though.

The Football Business by David Conn is well worth reading as well.

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
I read a biography about a German goalkeeper but can't for the life of me remember what it was called. Not much help I know, but I shall look it up and report back...

...got it, it's the book by Ronald Reng, looking back at the life and career of Robert Enke: A Life Too Short. A very poignant book, well worth a read.

CPFC G

Dec 24, 2011
I read a biography about a German goalkeeper but can't for the life of me remember what it was called. Not much help I know, but I shall look it up and report back...

A life too short? about Robert Enke. Supposed to be a good read.

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
I finished the Bromley Boys recently, great book and very funny, something all football supporters can relate to

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here