Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Question for rugby premiership fans

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I've been to lots of club rugby games but always in the lower leagues, when it's a question of just turning up for a game and paying on the gate. Never been to a Premiership match though.

I'm thinking of taking my kids to see Quins v Gloucester later this month. Do I need to buy tickets in advance or can I just turn up? Is there any advantage in getting them in advance? Any Stoop regulars here?

Baron Pepperpot

Jul 26, 2012
Brighton
I'm a Quins STH, but cannot attend that match. Had your kids not been going I would gladly have lent you my pass.

You can get tickets here https://www.quinsru.talent-sport.co.uk/PagesPublic/ProductBrowse/productHome.aspx

There are still some available. Try not to go in the first four rows if you are along the side of the pitch, to spare the annoyance of watching all those walking in front of you getting beers etc.

An excellent game to take your kids to is the Big Game 6 at the main Twickenham ground in late December, it's not too expensive and has a great family atmosphere. Capacity crowd too.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I'm a Quins STH, but cannot attend that match. Had your kids not been going I would gladly have lent you my pass.

You can get tickets here https://www.quinsru.talent-sport.co.uk/PagesPublic/ProductBrowse/productHome.aspx

There are still some available. Try not to go in the first four rows if you are along the side of the pitch, to spare the annoyance of watching all those walking in front of you getting beers etc.

An excellent game to take your kids to is the Big Game 6 at the main Twickenham ground in late December, it's not too expensive and has a great family atmosphere. Capacity crowd too.

Thanks for the response. It has to be the 23rd as we're in London that day - I was looking for a game to take them to.

What's the best stand for the kids - they're 10 and 8 and I want them to have a decent view

Baron Pepperpot

Jul 26, 2012
Brighton
The South Stand is traditionally seen as the Family Stand, I don't know if they have deals or not. Maybe call the club.

My favorite stand is the LV, but each Quin has their own view. Excepting the North Stand, all views are pretty much not restricted. I just advise not going in the first four rows of the pitch side stands for the above reasons.

The ground is very child friendly and the kids love the mascots, Harley and Charley. The atmosphere at rugby is very different to football, as you may already know, but I love it.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
I went to my first premiership match last month on a VIP freebie.
Exeter Chiefs v Wasps. I really enjoyed it especially the intensity of the tackling, mauls and scrums.
I would love to go to a top international match.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
The ground is very child friendly and the kids love the mascots, Harley and Charley. The atmosphere at rugby is very different to football, as you may already know, but I love it.

I was a season ticket holder at London Welsh for many years so have seen plenty of club rugby. The ticket prices are a bit eye-watering though - are there really no child discounts? I've been to rugby at Richmond and Rosslyn Park where kids go for free

Baron Pepperpot

Jul 26, 2012
Brighton
I was a season ticket holder at London Welsh for many years so have seen plenty of club rugby. The ticket prices are a bit eye-watering though - are there really no child discounts? I've been to rugby at Richmond and Rosslyn Park where kids go for free

It's pricey, I know. Richmond and Rosslyn Park are tier 3 I think so it would be different. The club number is 0208 401 6010

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Just to blow my own trumpet, but I played for both of those.

Did you play for them recently? A friend, in a loose sense of the word, played for Richmond - Tim Cook.

I haven't been to a lot of Premiership rugby. I did enjoy the Sarries party idea with beer tents, music and what-have-you. No idea if they still do that.

I do miss watching London Scottish, now I've relocated back to Sussex, so will be renewing my support for Brighton RFC.

wehatepalace

Limbs
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
Did you play for them recently? A friend, in a loose sense of the word, played for Richmond - Tim Cook.

No, my playing days ended at a lower level about 4 years ago. My brain still wants to play but my body says otherwise !
The height of my career was getting promoted to the National league with Esher.

Baron Pepperpot

Jul 26, 2012
Brighton
No, my playing days ended at a lower level about 4 years ago. My brain still wants to play but my body says otherwise !

Hats off, great standard. What do you think of Worthing's prospects ?

wehatepalace

Limbs
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
Hats off, great standard. What do you think of Worthing's prospects ?

Worthing have got fantastic potential, I know a few of the coaches and 1 or 2 of the players, they're are doing all the right things and if they can consolidate this season, I think next year they'll be in the mix again.
One thing is for sure they are doing Sussex rugby proud.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail

Respect. I'd love to have played rugby at a decent level. I get itchy feet every autumn and every February. I was due to have Sussex trials at 12, but caught a virus and then suffered from post-viral depression for longer than I care to remember and never got back in to the game properly after that. I big regret of mine. Then I lost much of my hearing at 19 and hearing aids vs rugby don't really mix. Not that there was any sort of guarantee that I would reach your standard of play (I had my own doubts).

I saw Esher a couple of times against LSRFC and was very impressed with their setup. A shame that the vast majority of money ends up in football and not the 'marginal' sports.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Worthing have got fantastic potential, I know a few of the coaches and 1 or 2 of the players, they're are doing all the right things and if they can consolidate this season, I think next year they'll be in the mix again.

It's quite a shame that Sussex doesn't house a fully professional rugby side. I'm sure there would be enough interest to support a club all the way to the Championship at least. Merge Brighton and Hove..?

Baron Pepperpot

Jul 26, 2012
Brighton
It's quite a shame that Sussex doesn't house a fully professional rugby side. I'm sure there would be enough interest to support a club all the way to the Championship at least. Merge Brighton and Hove..?

Sounds a good idea in theory, but I think there is too much history. I'm a Hove member myself.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

Since checking out the outrageous price of going to watch the Quins, I've been looking at more affordable options. I've noticed that Richmond are actually playing Worthing on that date, so it could be that. My daughter played against Worthing in an U-11 match festival recently and there's a match against them next month - in the circumstances, going to Richmond might pique their interest a bit.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Since checking out the outrageous price of going to watch the Quins, I've been looking at more affordable options. I've noticed that Richmond are actually playing Worthing on that date, so it could be that. My daughter played against Worthing in an U-11 match festival recently and there's a match against them next month - in the circumstances, going to Richmond might pique their interest a bit.

I don't know if you have ever been to the RAC, but it is a great ground. Short walk from Richmond station.

Lovely old stand, plenty of space to stand if you wish. Lots of free areas for kids and a decent bar to be had. You may also see some rugby legends as they tend to pop over for a game.

There is also, at least, one other game going on if the main game bores you.

saintquin

Apr 13, 2010

When you get to checkout you'll find the concessions on the drop downs, if not phone the ticket office I'm sure they do cheeper prices for children.
Should be a great game to watch. Normally a high scoring and free flowing game.

Make sure you stay around after the game as the players still use the same bar (called ''Players Lounge'') as the fans do and are easily approachable. If the weather is ok the children can play around with a ball on the pitch from about 30 mins after the end of the game.

You can also bring food in with you witch can save a small fortune!

Hope you all enjoy yourselfs!

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Anyone wishing to watch Rugby in the true sense of the word,should sample The Rugby League World Cup.

You might as well watching cage fighting or builders having a scrap.

Sounds a good idea in theory, but I think there is too much history. I'm a Hove member myself.

Obviously politics would never allow it to happen, but I can't help feeling that the division means both clubs will never climb any higher. If everyone is OK with that, then who am I to argue?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here