Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Champions League going to BT Sport

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
No great loss to terrestrial tv as far as I'm concerned. Have so little interest in CL.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Does this mean sky are losing their rights to it as well?

They cover the CL so well. I watched Juve vs Real the other night and it was brilliant coverage.

Itv losing it doesn't bother me although it's a shame if terrestrial tv no longer has and CL matches.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Oh ffs. Champions League is about the only football I get to see on tv. I want to swap to BT but it can't be installed in my flat so I have to stick with Virgin with my pants channels and stut-stut-stuttering Internet connection :(

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Christ on a bike, why cant people read the full story ? :facepalm:

Games will still be free-to-air like ITV - and seeing as everyone has digital TV now, they will be able to access it. Its the same Sky/ITV deal - just on 1 channel.

I for one am delighted - ITV have always been the worst for football coverage - now they just need to lose the England rights and they have nothing left !! (BBC got the FA Cup rights).

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
According to the original article, UEFA stipulate that some of the matches must still be free to air.

I think it'd be interesting to see how popular the CL is in this country without the effectively free advertising/hype it gets from ITV, I wonder if most people wouldn't be bothered until the quarter finals.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Does this mean sky are losing their rights to it as well?

They cover the CL so well. I watched Juve vs Real the other night and it was brilliant coverage.

Itv losing it doesn't bother me although it's a shame if terrestrial tv no longer has and CL matches.

As I understand it, it's just moving from ITV to BT, no change for Sky, but I could be wrong.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
According to the original article, UEFA stipulate that some of the matches must still be free to air.

I think it'd be interesting to see how popular the CL is in this country without the effectively free advertising/hype it gets from ITV, I wonder if most people wouldn't be bothered until the quarter finals.

ITV wont miss out, they will just advertise on ITV - paying handsomely of course.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
As I understand it, it's just moving from ITV to BT, no change for Sky, but I could be wrong.

You are wrong.

BT will have all the live matches on subscription and FTA channels. None on Sky.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Monumental cock up for Sky. They were obsessed with the Champions League and will be huge dent in the armoury. There is no chance of BTSport getting the ratings ITV does when they show a free game so its a big middle finger from UEFA to the British public as well.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Monumental cock up for Sky. They were obsessed with the Champions League and will be huge dent in the armoury. There is no chance of BTSport getting the ratings ITV does when they show a free game so its a big middle finger from UEFA to the British public as well.

Of course they wont get the same viewing figures, but its all down to money. Surprising the Sky didnt bid enough to get the rights too.

Not really UEFA showing a middle finger to the public - BT are to show the big(ish) games free (Arsenal vs Dortmund etc). Thought it is shite that there is no choice of viewing anymore as I always went for Skys coverage. But to further remove football from ITV - that is a good thing.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
This is starting to pisss me off.....Prem footy, prem rugby, now cl games, what next, I feel a call to sky coming on....may need a reduction in my monthly bill....

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
I have all channels so it doesn't bother me BUT what does amaze me is why, a couple of months ago, with moneybags BT on the warpath did the Football League rush into an extended deal way out to 2018!! without any sign of auction/discussions with BT and/or others

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Of course they wont get the same viewing figures, but its all down to money. Surprising the Sky didnt bid enough to get the rights too.

Not really UEFA showing a middle finger to the public - BT are to show the big(ish) games free (Arsenal vs Dortmund etc). Thought it is shite that there is no choice of viewing anymore as I always went for Skys coverage. But to further remove football from ITV - that is a good thing.

Not to casual football fans its not. ITV coverage as bad as it was/is still got huge ratings anything on a digital only platform will never get the same ratings and/or the exposure. UEFA have clearly gone for money (which will result in players being paid even more) rather than making top football available to the most amount of people. Having said that I'm not particularly fussed because I hardly watch Champions League anyway

crasher

Jul 8, 2003
Sussex
I'd say it's good news in part because it's a proper challenger to Sky at last. But it's bad news in the sense that whoever wins the rights just pours more money into the pockets of the elite clubs, constantly making football less competitive.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here