Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Severe hypertension advise

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Some advise please....

I took the daughter to the doctors Thursday and took one of those tests in the waiting room for heart rates etc. I took it twice and the readings are

Systolic 189
Diastolic 66
Pulse 80

Now I took it a while back and it similar, being a man and not wanting to bother the doctor or nagged off the wife. I thought nothing of it. I had five mins to kill earlier and looked on line pumping in my score it came up with severe hypertension ! And heart rate score poor !

I am 44 5'10 and 12 and a half stone. I do feel dizzy sometimes but have never passed out and get pins and heddles in my arms.

Should I be worried ? Tell the wife ? Go to the doctors on my own because they will just tell me I will be dead before the years out ? Or just get pissed and smoke a dirty big cigar.

Advise please

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Your symptoms could mean anything or nothing.

I'd say speak to the doctor, because your concerns, in verbalising them, they aren't now going to go away. In the end, the answer could well be what the poster above has suggested...

I had to be cajoled into going to the doctor's earlier this year. I'm glad I was.

Last edited:

Leighgull

Dec 27, 2012
It's the gap between the two mate and that's large. If I was you I'd be seeking cholesterol testing and a good blood screen to check your kidneys and liver function as well as an ECG.

It isn't the end of the world but I'd be keen to investigate more. Especially if you are worried. Try and take it easy on alcohol too as this can elevate your BP quite dramatically.

penny's harmonica

Jan 30, 2012
A single test shouldn't be taken as gospel. You need to have it taken several times over a fortnight to get an average reading.
I've always been told the diastolic is the important reading and yours is low as the target reading is 80.

I'm mid forties and been taking a pill a day for the last seven years with no side effects and my blood pressure is completely under control so nothing to fear if doctor recommends you go down that road. Exercise and good diet beneficial and packing in the fags if you smoke. But like me it may just be hereditary in which case very little other than the pills work.

Either way you should talk to your doctor.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Some advise please....

I took the daughter to the doctors Thursday and took one of those tests in the waiting room for heart rates etc. I took it twice and the readings are

Systolic 189
Diastolic 66
Pulse 80

Now I took it a while back and it similar, being a man and not wanting to bother the doctor or nagged off the wife. I thought nothing of it. I had five mins to kill earlier and looked on line pumping in my score it came up with severe hypertension ! And heart rate score poor !

I am 44 5'10 and 12 and a half stone. I do feel dizzy sometimes but have never passed out and get pins and heddles in my arms.

Should I be worried ? Tell the wife ? Go to the doctors on my own because they will just tell me I will be dead before the years out ? Or just get pissed and smoke a dirty big cigar.

Advise please
Firstly as somone who is your age and being treated for high blood pressure for the last 10 years, relax. The lower reading is fine and the above reading is high, however thise machines in the waiting rooms are notouriusly random, even the way you are sat can effect the reading. Get yourself a blood pressure machine pref. the upper arm cuff type not wrist and take a reading once a day at different times, average top and bottom and discuss results with your GP, im on 10mg of ramapril and am down to 136 over 86. Good luck

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
Go and see your GP. They will probably monitor it. I don't like those auto cuffs, much prefer the manual ones. The gap between your systolic and diastolic is a little high. Better to be safe than sorry.

martyn20

Unwell but still smiling
Aug 4, 2012
Burgess Hill
Get an ECG and see what your heart has been and is doing and go from there. My GP got what was wrong with me totally wrong until I insisted on a referral to ED where the good old ECG told them his seconds what exactly was wrong, I got the help I needed.

Canonman

Apr 14, 2011
Go and see your GP,it's always better to be safe than sorry, it'll put your mind at rest anyway.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Speaking as a doctor*, you are clinically dead.

*this is a lie.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Some advise please....

Systolic 189
Diastolic 66
Pulse 80

Advise please

hey mate ... sounds like you could be a bit unfit , your diastloic reading is ok.......i would definitely see your doctor , he will no doubt want to put you on some tablets........i thought i was dying last year and had worked myself up into a right old pickle , waking up all ours of the morning , racing pulse , thumping head..........had all the blood-tests and my blood was actually fine , i'm reasonably fit 6 ft 4 118 kilo's have a job that keeps me active ,i don't smoke...........if i'm honest with myself i drink too much.....anyway since seeing the doctor and having a full blood screen done the viscious cycle of worry , tension ,stress has now been broken......if i was you i would see your doctor , he will , above all put your mind at rest..........all things in moderation and get some excersise.....you'll be fine....:thumbsup:

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Go see a doctor. it is what they are there for and they certainly should not think you are wasting their time. They will get brownie points for preventative stuff.

And if there is something wrong, they will deal with it. If not, you are reassured.

Can only echo the above really, go see a doctor.

The wife had a random blood pressure test at her well woman check up, 240 over 160, they thought the machine was faulty so used another, it was the same.
She now has damaged kidneys due to it and on 2 different tablets every day of her life.

ozseagull

Jun 27, 2013
Coffee raises blood pressure and pulse rate for a couple of hours after you drink it. If you had a coffee or two before hand go back in a couple of days caffeine free and see if it makes a difference. Normally it can decrease massively by cutting out the caffeine devil drinks

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
That is an odd reading but the lower one is the more important and that is very good. The higher one is well above normal so to have such a range is unusual. Stress is the number one factor and more damaging than smoking and drinking combined. GP will probably advise a 24 hour monitor.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here