Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Severe hypertension advise

0 Not allowed!
    Some advise please....

I took the daughter to the doctors Thursday and took one of those tests in the waiting room for heart rates etc. I took it twice and the readings are

Systolic 189
    Diastolic 66
    Pulse 80

Now I took it a while back and it similar, being a man and not wanting to bother the doctor or nagged off the wife. I thought nothing of it. I had five mins to kill earlier and looked on line pumping in my score it came up with severe hypertension ! And heart rate score poor !

I am 44 5'10 and 12 and a half stone. I do feel dizzy sometimes but have never passed out and get pins and heddles in my arms.

Should I be worried ? Tell the wife ? Go to the doctors on my own because they will just tell me I will be dead before the years out ? Or just get pissed and smoke a dirty big cigar.

Advise please
    PsYcHoBiLlY fReAkOuT "Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law"

• North Stand Chat

advertising

Members

0 Not allowed!
      Eat well, walk a mile a day and avoid stress - you're good.

0 Not allowed!
      Your symptoms could mean anything or nothing.

I'd say speak to the doctor, because your concerns, in verbalising them, they aren't now going to go away. In the end, the answer could well be what the poster above has suggested...

I had to be cajoled into going to the doctor's earlier this year. I'm glad I was.
      Last edited by The Large One; 08-11-2013 at 18:43.
      The Albion Roar on Twitter
      New radio show on Radio Reverb 97.2FM - 'Move On Up'. Mod, soul, ska, Northern, jazz. Every other Saturday at 7pm
      Banned

0 Not allowed!
      black tormaline, lavendar drops, and pranayama.

0 Not allowed!
      The readings can be misleading - because our blood pressure fluctuates throughout the day. You should buy a blood pressure monitor and take readings several times a day.

My readings were similar and I am only approaching late 20's - I suppose I was just born with high blood pressure. I saw my GP and he said at my age it was nothing to worry about - however since becoming aware of it, through improving fitness, diet and cutting down on alcohol I've brought it right down to almost ideal levels anyway.

Fitness more than anything seemed to improve mine the most, so if you're currently living a sedentary life style maybe try doing 15 minutes of exercise a day, see if that improves things.

0 Not allowed!
      It's the gap between the two mate and that's large. If I was you I'd be seeking cholesterol testing and a good blood screen to check your kidneys and liver function as well as an ECG.

It isn't the end of the world but I'd be keen to investigate more. Especially if you are worried. Try and take it easy on alcohol too as this can elevate your BP quite dramatically.
      El Rey esta muerto. Larga vida el Rey.

0 Not allowed!
      A single test shouldn't be taken as gospel. You need to have it taken several times over a fortnight to get an average reading.
      I've always been told the diastolic is the important reading and yours is low as the target reading is 80.

I'm mid forties and been taking a pill a day for the last seven years with no side effects and my blood pressure is completely under control so nothing to fear if doctor recommends you go down that road. Exercise and good diet beneficial and packing in the fags if you smoke. But like me it may just be hereditary in which case very little other than the pills work.

Either way you should talk to your doctor.

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Psychobilly freakout View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Some advise please....

I took the daughter to the doctors Thursday and took one of those tests in the waiting room for heart rates etc. I took it twice and the readings are

Systolic 189
      Diastolic 66
      Pulse 80

Now I took it a while back and it similar, being a man and not wanting to bother the doctor or nagged off the wife. I thought nothing of it. I had five mins to kill earlier and looked on line pumping in my score it came up with severe hypertension ! And heart rate score poor !

I am 44 5'10 and 12 and a half stone. I do feel dizzy sometimes but have never passed out and get pins and heddles in my arms.

Should I be worried ? Tell the wife ? Go to the doctors on my own because they will just tell me I will be dead before the years out ? Or just get pissed and smoke a dirty big cigar.

Advise please
      Firstly as somone who is your age and being treated for high blood pressure for the last 10 years, relax. The lower reading is fine and the above reading is high, however thise machines in the waiting rooms are notouriusly random, even the way you are sat can effect the reading. Get yourself a blood pressure machine pref. the upper arm cuff type not wrist and take a reading once a day at different times, average top and bottom and discuss results with your GP, im on 10mg of ramapril and am down to 136 over 86. Good luck
      The oldest known computer

0 Not allowed!
      The Diastolic reading is the most important and on that basis you're ok

0 Not allowed!
      Go and see your GP. They will probably monitor it. I don't like those auto cuffs, much prefer the manual ones. The gap between your systolic and diastolic is a little high. Better to be safe than sorry.
      "I wasted £100 on a hotel room, another £100 on drink, whole weekend a complete waste of money, all in all the worst away day iv'e ever had ever. i can handle wasting good money, but seeing palace players getting laughed at by that lot, being laughed at as we leave the ground, that f***ing hurts, feel numb today, feel totaly numb with shock, going to take a long time to get over this one."