Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bloom Backs Barber - Brighton

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Albion chairman Tony Bloom has paid tribute to the club’s chief executive Paul Barber, after he won the UK Football CEO of the Year Award at last night’s Football Business Awards, held at Chelsea FC.

The event was hosted by former Albion player Mark Lawrenson and TV presenter Ray Stubbs, and Barber collected the award in front of industry leaders at Stamford Bridge.

Bloom, who was also present amongst a party from the club, led the plaudits, telling seagulls.co.uk, "On behalf of the board and all at the Albion I congratulate Paul on his deserved award of CEO of the Year.

"To win the divisional award was impressive, but to go on to also collect the overall award for the UK - ahead of every other Premier League and Football League CEO in England and also those at the Scottish Premier League - really is a prestigious honour for Paul personally, and for our club.

"It is well deserved as Paul is highly motivated, works incredibly hard and does an exceptional job - all in the name of Brighton & Hove Albion. He regularly has had to make tough decisions, sometimes ones which are not always popular, and it is great that we have him at the helm.”

"I was delighted when we recruited someone of his calibre and experience ahead of the start of last season, and he has continued to exceed mine and the board's expectations in the way he runs the club.

"Most significantly, the work he has overseen to make the club more efficient has had a direct impact on Oscar's budget this season and meant we were actually able to increase it - in spite of the new FFP budget restrictions, when we actually were expecting to have to slightly reduce the playing budget."

Read more at http://www.seagulls.co.uk/news/article/blooms-barber-tribute-1163058.aspx#BZvwyFUHJ5FqG530.99

======

Now who STILL thinks Tony isn't FULLY behind Paul Barber's way of doing things? If you moan about Barber, you are moaning about Bloom.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
isn't FULLY behind Paul Barber's way of doing things? If you moan about Barber, you are moaning about Bloom.

Of course he always was behind him, and it's always been the case that people are having a go at Barber personally, then they're also having a go at Bloom and the club - it's all one and the same.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
Big respect for Barber. The guy's clearly doing his job well, and to brief. People who find it unpalatable really need to aim their criticism at football as an industry - it's unrecognisable from the game we knew in the 1970s but not everything that's changed with the sport, and certainly not with Brighton, is negative.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
As long as each member of the staff is 100% behind the Albion as a cause, whether that be players, management or 'backroom' (the board, executives etc) then they'll have my support.
Doing PB's job is one that many people would think they can do better at, but when it comes to the crunch they wouldn't have the stones to push forward to make the club financially viable - i certainly couldn't and wouldn't do it.

To make the necessary changes he has made and to even give Oscar an increased budget (something many have demanded) shows that he IS doing his job and to be given this award above every other club in the COUNTRY is a massive coup for BHA. Well deserved.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Fair play to him, and at least he's been honest. He's said in the past that there will be decisions taken that the fans won't like/agree with, and given the bitching and moaning on here, he's right. But he's got a job to do, and he's obviously doing it well.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
There cannot be many CEO's who travel to away games on the train like many of us do, in fact do many CEO's from other clubs go to away games?

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
As I suggested on another thread I suspect that Barber's award is not unconnected with his/the club's handling of Poyet's departure which is much admired in football boardroom circles............

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
I agree with Tony. Paul is getting the necessary done at the moment. it's a very dirty job and someone's got to do it. Well done Paul.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I just find it amusing the amount of people who call Barber every name under the sun, but won't hear a bad word said about Bloom. They are being incredibly naive.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Barber is protecting Blooms investment and trying to make Blooms money work for Bloom and the Club, a thankless task and I can't say I agree with every decsion he has made at the club, but he is clearly doing something right, to win the pludits of his Peers, fair play to the man. If things were going a little better on the pitch I'm sure a lot of people wouldnt even give two shakes of a dogs willy what he was doing.

I'm just bloody glad I have a club with a fantastic future to support and that we have a great stadium and team to support, too many years supporting a club with no future and no hope. if Barber can continue providing the goods and as a club continue to have success we should be as much behind what he does as possible.

Jan 30, 2008
Barber is protecting Blooms investment and trying to make Blooms money work for Bloom and the Club, a thankless task and I can't say I agree with every decsion he has made at the club, but he is clearly doing something right, to win the pludits of his Peers, fair play to the man. If things were going a little better on the pitch I'm sure a lot of people wouldnt even give two shakes of a dogs willy what he was doing.

I'm just bloody glad I have a club with a fantastic future to support and that we have a great stadium and team to support, too many years supporting a club with no future and no hope. if Barber can continue providing the goods and as a club continue to have success we should be as much behind what he does as possible.
out of interest what are the "GOODS" you talk about, are you talking financial or is it something the general supporter is benefiting from.
regards
DR

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
out of interest what are the "GOODS" you talk about, are you talking financial or is it something the general supporter is benefiting from.
regards
DR

Have you not been getting your Gram before each game? its Barbers new incentive, ask for the special match day pie, you wont be disapointed.

Sloe Joe

Oct 7, 2010
PB is a top guy, he replies courteously and intelligently to emails within 24 hours, whatever their nature.
That says a lot about him as an individual and CEO.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
regards
DR

I would have thought that anyone with a modicum of sense, or who had followed the Albion for any length of time would realise that the financials and what happens on the pitch are inextricably linked.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
As I suggested on another thread I suspect that Barber's award is not unconnected with his/the club's handling of Poyet's departure which is much admired in football boardroom circles............

The club has set a precedent in not bending over and letting a manager screw them by doing everything right and proper.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here