Votes: 61 62.2%
  • The Evening Star

Votes: 37 37.8%

• Total voters

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
In the second semi final (taking place at the same time as the other match for maximum impact) we've got the Basketmakers Arms and the Evening Star squaring up against one another to do battle for a place in the final on Sunday.

There can be only one winner. Which pub that will be is up to you.

Voting closes Saturday evening before the final takes place on Sunday.

Happy voting

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
I'm genuinely torn with this one. I do love the Basketmakers but I'm not a big fan of Fullers. Whereas the Evening Star has some absolutely tremendous beers but I don't think it has the ambience of the 'makers.

It's a DOOZY

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Pubs aren't just about the beer. The beer is an essential ingredient, but that great taste relies upon the human senses being hit by a dozen other sights, sounds and feelings at the same time.

It's in the colours that surround you; the sounds of the conversations; the choice (or lack of) music; the smell of the food; the sound of the laughter; the light the comes into the room; the way the pub hides its charms from the casual passer-by.

For me, the Makers has all this. The beer at The Evening Star is better, it's a great pub, but it's not the better pub.

Makers wins this for me.

Left Footer

Sep 26, 2007
Shoreham
Evening Star better for Beer but the food element will probably add to the Basketmakers experience so although ive voted for the Star I expect the Basketmakers to win

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Basketmakers for me, just a more pleasant place to spend a few hours. The Star deserves itself place in the semi finals as it is a fine pub, but the Baskets is more convivial and still does well on the beer front imo.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
The Star, just. The beer is superb, I'm not sure that I get the cliquey thing, though I do generally only go in there at busy times (Friday nights, before football in the main) in fact I find them a pretty friendly bunch all in all.

My sole gripe with the Basketmakers is I always think there's a funny chip fat smell in there, like there used to be in the Gloucester.

We really are at the creme de la creme now though, you'd be happy having a beer in any of the remaining 4 establishments.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
We really are at the creme de la creme now though, you'd be happy having a beer in any of the remaining 4 establishments.

A big fat this!

A worthy winner will emerge from this final quartet. Nice to have a competition that reminds us of how many good pubs there are in this town...ahem...City.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I assume that every NSC'er available will visit the winning pub on Sunday?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
It's a choice of a pub with good beer,ambience and good food or a pub with good beer. It's The Basketmakers for me.

essbee

Jan 5, 2005
Hamilton,

Can I just say that your description of a good pub is bordering
on the poetic. Love it.

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
Pubs aren't just about the beer. The beer is an essential ingredient, but that great taste relies upon the human senses being hit by a dozen other sights, sounds and feelings at the same time.

It's in the colours that surround you; the sounds of the conversations; the choice (or lack of) music; the smell of the food; the sound of the laughter; the light the comes into the room; the way the pub hides its charms from the casual passer-by.

For me, the Makers has all this. The beer at The Evening Star is better, it's a great pub, but it's not the better pub.

Makers wins this for me.

Thank you sir. You've made the decision for me

mrb14

Nov 9, 2013
I like the Basket but I love the Star. For me a pub foremost has to have well kept and interesting beers and lovely staff.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
With male friends The Evening Star. Female then The Basketmakers.

blue2

Apr 21, 2010
Oh no what should be the two finalists have been drawn in the semis now I really like both pubs evening star has my fav beer the APA on tap but the basket makers has good food and nice beer the evening star in closer to the Tain but the basket makers has more memories for me, what am I to do"............... It's no good I will just have to sleep on it

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here