Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Seems the 70's 80's was some sort of golden era for football?

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Its was more atmospheric for sure, the rampant tribalism generated a real fervour that you rarely see these days, there was real imagination in the songs sung, they were always designed to deliver a message to the opposition, but don't forget that was all offset by the danger and the crap facilities.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Its was more atmospheric for sure, the rampant tribalism generated a real fervour that you rarely see these days, there was real imagination in the songs sung, they were always designed to deliver a message to the opposition, but don't forget that was all offset by the danger and the crap facilities.
I'd take that all day long.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006

Yep thats about right.

Not surprisingly it seems that the Germans seem to have found a way to embrace some of those attributes within the modern arena.

I have to say that the Premier League has the power to replicate the German model and it eventually will but not until attendances decrease and perhaps a few rich foreign owners leave.

Canonman

Apr 14, 2011

Nothing to add to that, spot on.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Yup.
Need to remember the violence that justifiably made our fans pariahs worldwide.

From this distance the footy was mostly good though.

All in all - sanitised as it is - I would rather watch a game now than then.

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex

And the fact the gap between clubs was not so big, teams like QPR,Villa and of coarse Forest not only had a chance but could actully win the top title, it made it more fun. And with a squad of about 14 / 15 players....didnt Liverpool win the title and the European cup using only 13 players on boggy pitches and more games?? ...Hmmm isnit? jumpers for goal posts and 23 a side!!

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Are people looking back on this period with rose tinted binoculars,people seem to be harking back to cheap tickets,terracing and great atmosphere. At the time we were told that British football was the sick man of Europe and dying on its feet!
WHICH WAS IT????

Only you and a couple of others keep looking back with rose-tinted binoculars.

And British football was dying on it's feet. And it was not just football itself that was dying at matches either.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

Exactly this. Though fences were a nightmare, violence on the terraces was not good. Other than that, probably preferred it from a play perspective. Proper sliding tackles, less feigning injury, not so much diving, referee's less visible, off-side was off-side, players not waving imaginary cards to refs.

Also felt like players had more affinity with the fans, perhaps because their salaries were much less.

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
Some of the football was dire. I remember in the 80's having to watch teams like Barnsley & Shrewsbury playing the ball between defenders and goalkeeper and just not attacking. That's the reason why the backpass law was introduced.

Ironically, the atmosphere on the terraces was however immense and I remember there was nothing like standing on a box in the south east corner watching the likes of Ipswich (in their pomp), Liverpool and Man Utd in a packed ground.

Now that's changed, all because of how the modern game is run. The atmosphere at matches across the country can be a bit of a damp squib, however the football played is much much better.

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
Golden era for Albion, most definitely. Those of us who lived through those times and supported the Albion have great memories tucked away in the grey matter.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Now that's changed, all because of how the modern game is run. The atmosphere at matches across the country can be a bit of a damp squib,

Which is why the Bundesliga is gradually going to take over. Already overseas TV contracts are booming, their crowds are huge_ allowed to stand and generate atmosphere....in ten years the Prem income from TV etc will be significantly lower, wages will drop, top players will drift away and we will as always, be late to react and find it hard to catch up.

AnotherArch

Northern Exile
Apr 2, 2009
Stockport & M62
I can't how British football was dying on its feet, as English clubs had a firm hold on the European cup until Heysel, although at national level it was pretty dire.
Those two decades encompassed most of Albion's glory years - 4 promotions (and 3 relegations), and the character/legend players with some degree of skill.
Fences only really came in in the mid-80's (remeber the 'cage' at Northampton early season?).
You could be spontaneous and go to virtually any game by tipping up and paying on the gate.
Too sanitised nowadays.

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
The late 70's and early 80's was a golden era for the Albion. Not so sure about football in general though.

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
Ah ! The good old days. Pitches like the Baseball ground, facilities like the Goldstone's north west terrace toilets, programmes that informed about the match and weren't stuffed too much with adverts and players favourite holiday destinations, Norman Hunter, Billy Bremner, Chopper Harris, tea and bovril and which was which, walk up and pay actual money at the turnstile if you decided to come that day, fa cup first round third replays, most games Saturday at three, Match of the Day, green sawdust being used to disguise the bare pitches, walking to the Goldstone, foreign players were Scottish, Irish, Welsh or from Yorkshire, players drinking in the Brighton pubs on the eve of matches, tackling.

No Sky.

Jan 30, 2008
Are people looking back on this period with rose tinted binoculars,people seem to be harking back to cheap tickets,terracing and great atmosphere. At the time we were told that British football was the sick man of Europe and dying on its feet!
WHICH WAS IT????
IT'S DYING ON IT'S FEET NOW , just glad i had the enjoyment that was to be had in that time, meet a lot of people :thumbsup:
regards
DR

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Way better for ticket prices, feeling of community, chanting etc, but bloody HILARIOUSLY AWFUL football, which for me is by far the main thing. So for that reason, I'm out.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Way better for ticket prices, feeling of community, chanting etc, but bloody HILARIOUSLY AWFUL football, which for me is by far the main thing. So for that reason, I'm out.
Considering your first Albion game was 1994 ( in your profile), how the deuce do you have a view on whether the football or atmosphere was better or worse?.... watching a bit of archive footage or big match highlights doesn't in my view give you the picture you need to make a solid judgement.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here