Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Who reads, or read, what?

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
Started with Smash Hits, became a long-term NME reader, but gave up about 10 years ago as it seemed to have turned into Smash Hits.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I prefer listening to music rather than read about what I should be listening to.

Fungus

NSC Patreon
May 21, 2004
Truro
"Other", because I read music books, not mags. I'm at that time of my where I'm more into nostalgia, rather than current trends!

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Pitchfork and Drowned In Sound, both websites. Both can be pretty snobby but still has helped me find out about a lot of good music.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
Started with Smash Hits, became a long-term NME reader, but gave up about 10 years ago as it seemed to have turned into Smash Hits.
Pretty much the same except with Melody Maker - stopped reading it when they gave away free temporary tattoos of bands of the time (Oasis etc.).

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
I occasionally pick up CMP, and will probably keep an eye on the newly-launched Classic Rock spin-off publication for Country music.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I prefer listening to music rather than read about what I should be listening to.

But good interviews and reviews are as valuable as music IMHO.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Currently NME and Q but I started off with Disco 45 and Flexi-pop and progressed to Sounds, Kerrang plus numerous others. Sounds was probably my fav.

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
Read NME and Melody Maker back in the day. Used to enjoy The Word, but these days read up on new bands etc via pitchfork, eMusic and the Sunday Times. Also get Record Collector semi-regularly

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
During the golden age of punk it was Sounds on Wednesdays, NME on Thursdays. A rare Wednesday night treat was to pick up an NME late at night at the ramshackle shack outside Victoria station.

Best writers of the time:

NME - Tony Parsons (Julie Burchill always seemed a bit fake to me) and a year or 2 later Paul Morley
Sounds - The glorious car crash that was Jane Suck

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Same as a lot of people on here - started with Smash Hits and trying to remember as many lyrics as possible then moving onto NME and The Word. Nowadays I get Mojo Magazine although I'm sick to the back teeth of the tedious Beatles/Zeppelin/Dylan stories they run every month. I also get the Wire magazine. I get most of my music info nowadays from Twitter/Facebook and the following websites:

jajajamusic.com (exclusively about Scandinavian music)
thisisfakediy.co.uk
TheEargazm.com
thefourohfive.com
thelineofbestfit.com
xlr8r.com
pitchfork.com
pastemagazine.com
blackcabsessions.com
bbc.co.uk/6music/news/
stereogum.com
nme.com
ourvinyl.tv
k7.com
forfolkssake.com

Especially 405, Line of Best Fit, For Folks Sake, Ja Ja Ja Music. They're always extremely good.

Otherwise I do subscribe to lots of music channels on Youtube as well as use Soundcloud/Mixcloud and Bandcamp all the time. And I do always look at the new music threads on here as it's a great source of inspiration.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here