Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Rare video: 1976/77 West Bromwich Albion 0-2 Brighton (LC)

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
Thanks for posting...the League Cup meant something in the past and I was certainly at this game though couldn't tell you how I travelled there or many details...just pleased that we won.....

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
A question...

On the first goal, who does Ward play a 1-2 with and who is the Albion coming in from the right?

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
Great to see those goals for the first time. That will always remain my favourite season.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
A question...

On the first goal, who does Ward play a 1-2 with and who is the Albion coming in from the right?
No.9 and No.7 ...? Just before my time really, as I was only 8 years old, but could be Ian "Spider" Mellor and Gerry Fell...? No other ideas for No.9. No.7 could possibly be Tony "Tiger" Towner but I think Fell is more likely.

Anyone a bit older confirm?

1234andcounting

Mar 31, 2008
Thanks for posting. Never knew that clip existed. Great night, went by special. Still my favourite away game for the performance, possibly the most complete I have ever seen from a Brighton side.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I had just moved to Birmingham from Brighton and this was an early opportunity to see a "home" game. I remember going with some workmates who were Baggies fans and living off the result for some time after

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
A question...

1-2 is with Ian Mellor (they had a great partnership, of course) and the number 7 on the right is Gerry Fell.

I don't think I've ever seen footage of that - it was a great win for us. WBA were a decent side in those days (they finished 7th in the league that season and third a couple of years later). A genuine 'giant killing' at the time.

What an amazing season that was. A great cup run, beating two very good top flight sides and narrowly losing to another in a replay, two seven-goal home wins (including the legendary Walsall game), a nerve-wracking win in our last home game of the season to win promotion in front of 30,000, and FIVE matches against Palace (including the infamous game at Stamford Bridge). Oh, and the little matter of having the top scorer in the entire league, who broke the club's goal-scoring record. It truly had everything.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Thanks for posting , what was the shirts they were wearing ? cant make them out and certainly not got one in my collection .

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
Thanks for showing the goals a great night I was so pissed on the way up I fell of the train at Croydon when the special stopped at Croydon .:facepalm:got of the train at WBA and realised I had the pub darts still in my pocket by mistake so I disposed of them on the railway track that could have been a close one!

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
great post GR!

In fact I can't think of a better one since I've been on NSC

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
We had a flat on the coach on the motorway on the way back and ended up at Victoria coach station waiting around while they fixed it and having a 25 aside game of footie. Mainly the old Clifton boys. Fantastic night.

el punal

Thanks for posting , what was the shirts they were wearing ? cant make them out and certainly not got one in my collection .

For that season, plain red shirts (Umbro?) we're our standard away kit if there was a colour clash. The matches away to Palace we played in that strip. The following season,1977/78, we played in a Bukta kit with the club badge. Our change strip was again red or royal blue which we wore when we were away to Saints and Spurs.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Here is that kit:

peterward_red.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here