Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

A minor kerfuffle in last weekends NHL.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Apparently the ref and orange jerseyed goalie are getting some backlash for this, because the white jeseryed goalie really didn't want to know.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
This is what Hockey is all about. I love how the commentators talk as if it's just a normal event.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
That goes way beyond a heat of the moment punch up into the realms of pure thuggery, IMO.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
They are trying to phase it out (honestly) what with all the talk of concussions.

They are happy for 'goon on goon' action, but not this level of violence.
Apparently there's currently no law in the game to go back a penalise fighting players!!

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
People always go on about it being a fundamental part of the sport and people not understanding it.

But to me, it's just some idiot meatheads fighting.

ElectricNaz

Jan 23, 2013
Hampshire
People always go on about it being a fundamental part of the sport and people not understanding it.

But to me, it's just some idiot meatheads fighting.

No, it is a part of the sport. Teams will have designated 'fighters' (For example Colton Orr at the Maple Leafs) who will react to opposition hits on the star players, and start fights. This in turn gets the fans more 'involved' and usually after winning a fight the whole team will have that little more fire in their belly, the fans too.

The use of tactical fighting is quite interesting and does work well.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
No, it is a part of the sport. Teams will have designated 'fighters' (For example Colton Orr at the Maple Leafs) who will react to opposition hits on the star players, and start fights. This in turn gets the fans more 'involved' and usually after winning a fight the whole team will have that little more fire in their belly, the fans too.

Exactly. And it helps keep the other team honest.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

Any sport which relies on contrived (sorry, "tactical") fighting to get fans involved and motivate the teams must be a bit lame then.

Sure the odd fight on the pitch in football can be entertaining and can "get the crowd going" - but if it was a routine occurrence every bloody game, then I think the novelty would wear off very rapidly. I'm there (ideally) to watch a flowing, entertaining game, not to have it held up every five minutes while the players pretend to get all angry and start hitting each other. If I wanted to watch that kind of crap all the time, I'd paint myself a giant flourescent cardboard sign saying "WOOO YEAH!" and go and watch WWF or something.

willyfantastic

Mar 1, 2009
This - about as much real violence as in a wrestling match - all those punches and not a single drop of claret.

Look at the slow motion bit at the end of the clip - none of those punches seemed to land.

you try fighting while staying upright on ICE

these guys punch seriously hard, people have had to have facial reconstructive surgery after fights (todd fedoruk) and a lot of people have got brain damage/personality swings as a result of fighting in hockey, with some leading to suicide.....

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Many years ago I was on a training course [5 day residential] and got to know some of the other guys, one of which was also an ice hockey coach. He told me they have a saying in the squad: "If we can't beat them in the alley, we'll never beat them on the ice".

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Did any of them land a single decent blow?

Sums up American sport for me, so dull they have to jazz it up with a gimmick. I expect it's all staged as well.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
My definition of handbags is a scrap even I would be involved in.

I would never find myself going skate to skate with those boys.

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
My definition of handbags is a scrap even I would be involved in.

I would never find myself going skate to skate with those boys.

What about if you were kitted out in armour plates, helmets and given skates to prance about on? Even I would fancy my chances then, and I'm a really big sissy.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here