Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

1000 English Fans Travel To Every Dortmund Home Game...

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
" no fan of borrussia Dortmund has a feeling he is a client. German fans don't want to feel like a spectator going to the theatre or opera they want to feel part of the whole...."

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
I wish clubs like Dortmund were the norm rather than the exception

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Good read that article and a great philosophy of how to run a club. Don't think that it could ever work here unfortunately.

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
Don't think that it could ever work here unfortunately.

I actually believe FFP is helping us head in that direction.

What is not helping is this "football supporters are evil and must be segregated and sat down, otherwise they will crush one another" attitude, and the fact that no politician seems to want to touch Safe Standing with a bargepole.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
And? How many Johnny Foreigners do you get at United, Arsenal or Chelsea?

At Dortmund it's cool because they wave a scarf and it's only €20 to get in. The ones that watch football over here are plastics and are killing the game.

Really can't see the difference myself.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
I actually believe FFP is helping us head in that direction.

What is not helping is this "football supporters are evil and must be segregated and sat down, otherwise they will crush one another" attitude, and the fact that no politician seems to want to touch Safe Standing with a bargepole.

Plus the 'lets bleed our supporters dry' attitude that Barber is such a fan of.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010

Do you still worry about the bogey man under your bed?

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts

At Dortmund it's cool because they wave a scarf and it's only €20 to get in. The ones that watch football over here are plastics and are killing the game.

Spot on. When we played Liverpool a couple of years ago I had to stay over for a business meeting the following day. We stayed in a hotel in the centre of town, and there were dozens of foreigners staying there, who had travelled from abroad for the game. The hotel receptionist told us this happens for every home (Liverpool) game. Many were Scandanavian, and there was a group of 10 or so from South Korea. I'd guess that far, far more than 1000 foreigners travel to the UK for Premier league games every week. Couple that with the dozens of coachloads of fans that travel to Anfield/Old Trafford from hundreds of miles away (London, Cornwall, Devon) every week with STH in them. Some years ago a very active poster on this site was a STH at Anfield and travelled to Liverpool from Sussex for pretty much every match, he's seen sense now and has a ST at the Amex. I wonder how many Celtic fans travel from Ireland for their home games.

I don't think Dortmund are doing anything groundbreaking by having so many visiting "home" supporters, but I guess it makes for interesting reading for some.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
Spot on. When we played Liverpool a couple of years ago I had to stay over for a business meeting the following day. We stayed in a hotel in the centre of town, and there were dozens of foreigners staying there, who had travelled from abroad for the game. The hotel receptionist told us this happens for every home (Liverpool) game. Many were Scandanavian, and there was a group of 10 or so from South Korea. I'd guess that far, far more than 1000 foreigners travel to the UK for Premier league games every week. Couple that with the dozens of coachloads of fans that travel to Anfield/Old Trafford from hundreds of miles away (London, Cornwall, Devon) every week with STH in them. Some years ago a very active poster on this site was a STH at Anfield and travelled to Liverpool from Sussex for pretty much every match, he's seen sense now and has a ST at the Amex. I wonder how many Celtic fans travel from Ireland for their home games.

I don't think Dortmund are doing anything groundbreaking by having so many visiting "home" supporters, but I guess it makes for interesting reading for some.

For the last few years I've commuted from Ibiza to Brighton on alternate Saturdays for the first couple of months of the season. Gatwick Airport 22.00hrs is a mass of replica shirts. All the Irish flights are footie fans. West Ham seem to have a lot of people who fly in for games for some reason. Chelsea hugely over represented.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

I think you're possibly missing the point. I do not think any one is suggesting what is happening at Dortmund is unique or indeed new. And it is widely known and expected that fans travel hundreds and thousands of miles to watch the Premier Leauge. But, the fact that English football fans which have the Prem on their door step are starting to travel abroad is interesting.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I'd love to see what you get for 90 euros in the Dortmund 1909 Klub.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I think you're possibly missing the point. I do not think any one is suggesting what is happening at Dortmund is unique or indeed new. And it is widely known and expected that fans travel hundreds and thousands of miles to watch the Premier Leauge. But, the fact that English football fans which have the Prem on their door step are starting to travel abroad is interesting.

This sort of. I remember over 20 years ago coming home from watching us play Stoke away and sitting on the train with a large number of well oiled Belgian and Dutch Man U fans. However I can't remember knowing anyone in England at that time who went to Germany for games whereas there are a few Brighton fans who make the odd trip now.

Jimmy Grimble

I think the difference is the Johnny Foreigners you get at English clubs are largely from Asian/Scandinavian countries who have virtually nothing that replicates the football culture we have in England. Aside from the Premier League fanfare they come here to experience English football culture (how strongly that culture exists now is another debate).

With English people going to Germany it's a bit of a different scenario. The football fan culture of both countries is pretty similar (or at least was), the difference is in Germany you get a more authentic experience than you do here. By authentic I mean the experience is closer to what a lot of people loved about the English game years ago - terracing, cheap tickets, kick-off times not being moved, being treated more like a fan and an endearing nitty-grittyness that has slowly evaporated from the English game. English fans don't get to Dortmund et al to experience a new culture, they go their to re-live a culture they used to love.

Last edited:

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

Be fair, he isn't a 'fan' of bleeding the supporters dry, as you put it. Part of his remit as CEO is to do something about the millions of pounds that the Club is losing down the toilet every year, and to do that, in some cases prices have to go up.

What is he supposed to do? He is a perfectly amiable bloke if you were to meet him, likes a chat about football and a good pint of beer. I feel sorry for the bloke, he is damned by some if he does, and damned by others if he doesn't.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here