Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Have arsenal finally learned how to defend

pottert

Aug 12, 2009
Peacehaven
Has the penny finally dropped at wengersville.

If you don't conceed stupid goals you don't have to score loads of goals to win matches.

I thought arsenal defended brilliantly tonight against one of the best teams in Europe.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
They'll never be contenders until Alan Shearer says so :facepalm:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I like the Gooners a lot at present, they are rocking

pottert

Aug 12, 2009
Peacehaven
Spending 40 million on OZIL seems peanuts considering that he has brought 3 players with him.

Mertesacker,koscielny & ramsey are like new signings this season & giroud is leading the line brilliantly.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Spending 40 million on OZIL seems peanuts considering that he has brought 3 players with him.

Mertesacker,koscielny & ramsey are like new signings this season & giroud is leading the line brilliantly.

What makes this interesting is I think they will go large again in January on another player

Paris

Jul 17, 2010
13th district
I was at the Emirates last Saturday and saw them put Liverpool to the sword. They look so solid. Ramsey is the man of the moment.

Long may Wenger reign.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Against all the negativity in the close season from the so called pundits, media and Arsenal fans, Arsene Wenger seems to have done it again only this time they are superb the performance against Liverpool was, at times, breathtaking.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Arsenal are back to being a good team for the neutral, very nice to watch and like seeing Wenger get proved right.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
None of the pundits on MOTD at the weekend fancied Arsenal to win the Premier League one little bit. Just saying, like.

In fantastic form right now no doubt but can they sustain that for a whole season? What will happen when their form dips? Will other teams (chelsea, city etc) have bigger, deeper squads able to better handle this?

I think if they spend big on a player as is being suggested in Jan then they could be real contenders, right now they are contenders but not ahead of other sides around them.

CP 0 3 BHA

Nov 28, 2003
Northants
In fantastic form right now no doubt but can they sustain that for a whole season? What will happen when their form dips? Will other teams (chelsea, city etc) have bigger, deeper squads able to better handle this?

I think if they spend big on a player as is being suggested in Jan then they could be real contenders, right now they are contenders but not ahead of other sides around them.

I think you'll find they're 5 points ahead of other sides around them at present!

pottert

Aug 12, 2009
Peacehaven
Arsenal are back to being a good team for the neutral, very nice to watch and like seeing Wenger get proved right.

I don't think they have the depth to win the league & the further they go in the champions league will only hinder their chances.

Man utd away on Sunday is another test of their credentials (or is it because I think they are in the boat)

bennibenj

Mar 6, 2011
Sompting
I don't think its any coincidence either with the promotion of Steve Bould higher up the coaching/backroom ranks, looks to have been a shrewd reshuffle.

ElectricNaz

Jan 23, 2013
Hampshire
I don't think they have the depth to win the league & the further they go in the champions league will only hinder their chances.

Man utd away on Sunday is another test of their credentials (or is it because I think they are in the boat)

Depth?

Wilshere, Flamini, Diaby, Oxlade Chamberlain, Walcott, Podolski, Gnabry all unfit to be involved against Liverpool or Dortmund. Not even on the bench.

Maybe one striker short, and that's where the cash is going in January. Possibly a 4th center back as well.

For what it's worth, we've been playing like this since about March, when our tactics changed to be a little more defensive both at home and away, especially when in the lead.

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
Seriously improved but they got every bounce of the ball tonight, were 2nd best until they scored from nothing.

That might well be the case. Nonetheless, a team with less resilience and spirit would have cracked in that match when Dortmund were at their most dominant. By the end, Dortmund were having to resort to long ball in order to attempt to penetrate the Arsenal defence because everything else had failed.

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
I think it is easy to under-estimate just how much of a galvanising effect the signing of Mesut Ozil has had on Arsenal, similar to the effect Robin Van Persie had at Manchester United last season. Ozil isn't quite being the match-winner yet that Van Persie was last season for United but his presence and his calmness on the pitch is rubbing off on his team-mates and has given them both a lift and a kick up the derriere at the same time. The likes of Ramsey, Gibbs, Szcesczny, Giroud and Rosicky are all greatly improved this season, with Ramsey especially being a revelation. Flamini's return to Arsenal has played its part too.

MJsGhost

Remembers
NSC Patreon
Jun 26, 2009
East
Giroud has been huge so far this season.

I was very impressed with him at the Amex last season and got stick off a gooner mate at the time for saying so. He has changed his tune somewhat now

Dec 29, 2011
Giroud has been huge so far this season.

I was very impressed with him at the Amex last season and got stick off a gooner mate at the time for saying so. He has changed his tune somewhat now

To be fair, although he was good against us, you can hardly rate him on one performance vs. a second division side. I think they still need another striker, if he get crocked they're ****ed. If he loses form they're ****ed. Higuain really would have been good in the summer. Suarez would have been unbelievable and would have secured them the title.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here