Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The End Of Shipbuilding In Portsmouth

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Shipbuilding and naval dockyards have been living on the edge for years. Simple maths is that in 1948 we had about 30 times the number of vessels we have now. Sad but inevitable decline.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Shipbuilding and naval dockyards have been living on the edge for years. Simple maths is that in 1948 we had about 30 times the number of vessels we have now. Sad but inevitable decline.

If Scotland opt out we can get our boats from Germany. Now they know how to build a good warship.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
If Scotland opt out we can get our boats from Germany. Now they know how to build a good warship.

They cheated and used U Boats, if they fought fair by being on the surface we would have stuffed them a lot quicker.

hybrid_x

Banned
Jun 28, 2011
Is this about the 1600 who lost their jobs for BAE systems? A company that makes drone planes.

I have no sympathy for anyone who has worked for that company that continually progress murder technology. I hope the people now with no job have a good think about where they put their life energy and focus.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
Get them building wind turbines at Portsmouth, instead of going abroad.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
They cheated and used U Boats, if they fought fair by being on the surface we would have stuffed them a lot quicker.

I'd put my Bismarck up against your Hood any day.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Is this about the 1600 who lost their jobs for BAE systems? A company that makes drone planes.

I have no sympathy for anyone who has worked for that company that continually progress murder technology. I hope the people now with no job have a good think about where they put their life energy and focus.

Daydream believer, sure we'd be a whole lot safer with the same foreign policy and bows and arrows to defend ourselves. Not got a clue mate...

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter

I'm not sure if you're fishing, or just too narrow-minded to understand that drones are used to save the lives of thousands of civilians and military personnel alike every year. Any collateral damage resulting from such a drone strike is obviously tragic and regrettable, but on the balance of things, it is this sort of technology that keeps us all safe back home (and on the battlefield).

We are not talking prostitution, drug smuggling or illegal weapons smuggling here, this is a legitimate and necessary industry and the loss of these jobs is a bitter blow for the local communities.

hybrid_x

Banned
Jun 28, 2011
I'm not sure if you're fishing, or just too narrow-minded to understand that drones are used to save the lives of thousands of civilians and military personnel alike every year. Any collateral damage resulting from such a drone strike is obviously tragic and regrettable, but on the balance of things, it is this sort of technology that keeps us all safe back home (and on the battlefield).

We are not talking prostitution, drug smuggling or illegal weapons smuggling here, this is a legitimate and necessary industry and the loss of these jobs is a bitter blow for the local communities.

shame you have swallowed the Daily Mail or a Military General's line of thought.....instead of finding your own from the drone pilots themselves.

http://www.democracynow.org/2013/10/25/a_drone_warriors_torment_ex_air

http://www.dnaindia.com/world/repor...killing-1600-people-by-remote-control-1908457

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics...e-of-a-drone-pilot-who-killed-a-child/266453/

http://www.businessinsider.com/a-dr...st-time-on-what-his-job-is-really-like-2012-6

Yep, fighting for freedom......pfffff.

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs
don't follow your argument at all. "Any collateral damage resulting from such a drone strike is obviously tragic and regrettable" - which bit are you disagreeing with?

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Great idea Hybrid. We should have disarmed in 1939. Then you'd be talking German.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home

Do you have a library of web sites that you constantly put links to.

You are BLUE peter and I claim my £5

Or just some tedious prick

JJB

Mar 16, 2011
New Forest

About 50% of our companies business is into UK Defence. It is a massive market for Thousands of UK companies, providing jobs for hundreds of thousands of people!!! BAE are a massive part of that and their innovative thinking and designing has allowed for progression into new markets therefore new work for these thousands of companies... Yes this is a sad day, but it was always going to come and they will divest their money into other areas of the business to grow down a different path. People in this country should be glad that BAE are around to provide all the opportunities they do.... i'm guessing you'd like everyone to be a tree hugging loon farming ****ing beetroot or something?

Elvis

Mar 22, 2010
Viva Las Hove
Pompey workers sacrificed for votes to keep Scotland in the Union ? What do NSCers think about this ?

OR..... cut jobs in an industry that is practically impossible for the UK to compete in thus giving an independent Scottish Government the headache of the afore mentioned or cutting their own industry in a few years.

Don't get me wrong I hate to see working men having their industry taken from them but, it has been on its knees for years and no one can say they are surprised by this news.

Jan 30, 2008
yep Bismark got sunk in the Atlantic, Graf Spee Scuppered outside of Montevideo , Tirpitz bombed in a Norwegian Fjord ,JUST GET THAT SINKING FEELING DON'T YOU???
regards
DR

Dec 19, 2011
Hove
OR..... cut jobs in an industry that is practically impossible for the UK to compete in thus giving an independent Scottish Government the headache of the afore mentioned or cutting their own industry in a few years.

Don't get me wrong I hate to see working men having their industry taken from them but, it has been on its knees for years and no one can say they are surprised by this news.

Agreed. An industry reliant on government contracts that we can't afford.

I don't want shipbuilding to disappear of course, as we should be self sufficient when it comes to defense.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here