Votes: 63 61.8%
  • The Signalman

Votes: 39 38.2%

• Total voters

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
I rather suspect this is a foregone conclusion BUT nothing is decided yet. So get your votes in. The winner of this final quarter final tie goes through to the semis

evening-star-brighton-05.jpg

V

8124386072_a78747d4e6_z.jpg

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
The Evening Star naturally does some excellent ales, but I find it a bit cliquey in there.

The Signalman, however, does some good ale, reasonable scoff, has a good beer garden and is not far from my home. And it's an improvement from the seemingly last days of Charringtonesque obloquy.

However, it is a total Jonah pub. The Albion get stuffed and/or Palace win when I'm there watching some footy.

So it's the Star for me.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I'm going to be controversial and go for The Signalman, it's the pub I probably go to most often and always has a decent selection of beers (with the occasional festival) and good food.

I admit The Evening Star does have a better choice of beer but far too often I go there and end up stuck in a corner with very little personal space.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Difficult one this, The Evening Star always has excellent beers available but it is cramped and service can be awful if you get a little clique at the bar who seem to delight in making it awkward to get elbow room to be noticed. Additionally the karzi is bloomin awful.

The Signalman does quite often have good beers on too, throw in the reasonable scoff and my vote goes to .................The Signalman .... Besides, if you do cop an off night on their beer selection its only a quick walk over the railway line to The Open House.

Hamilton

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Too too tough to call. So hard. I'm in tears here. I'm not saying which way I voted. Two lovely boozers.

Colossal Squid, I love these threads.

SouthCoastOwl

May 23, 2013
Vaux Sur Seine
Evening Star everytime.

I agree the mob around the bar can be cliquey and do, on occasion, have to be elbowed out of the way, the seats are uncomfortable (if you can get one), the bogs honk a good un and an XR3i drove into my mate Martin when we were sitting on the benches outside. Even with all these faults it's a winner.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
The Evening Star naturally does some excellent ales, but I find it a bit cliquey in there.

The Signalman, however, does some good ale, reasonable scoff, has a good beer garden and is not far from my home. And it's an improvement from the seemingly last days of Charringtonesque obloquy.

However, it is a total Jonah pub. The Albion get stuffed and/or Palace win when I'm there watching some footy.

So it's the Star for me.

Me too for the same reasons, the Star just nicks it..

Absolutely loving these threads.

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patreon
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
The Evening Star is a great place for a few pints before midweek games but it was closed all day for the Sheffield Wednesday match. Decided to go to the Amex earlier and have a couple of pints there instead.

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
The Evening Star is a great place for a few pints before midweek games but it was closed all day for the Sheffield Wednesday match. Decided to go to the Amex earlier and have a couple of pints there instead.

Can do the same at the Signalman though (if you don't mind squeezing on the train at London Road), and they're not closed before the matches.
Signalman gets my vote anyway. Never found the atmosphere that good in the ES.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

Feb 9, 2011
Lancing

There was a genuine very sad reason for that

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here