Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

England vs. Australia A - Ashes warm up Hobart

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
After a damp squip of a draw in their opening match England make Australia A grovel on the first day. England 318-0 (Cook 154*, Carberry 153*)

Great for Cook to play himself back into nick. His record outside of England is far better than his record in England.

Did anyone watch it? Sky were showing it, I understand.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I listened on TMS. I wonder if Carberry has just played himself into the test team?

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
I listened on TMS. I wonder if Carberry has just played himself into the test team?

As we know, there's a spot up for grabs but I thought it would go to a middle order player, leaving Root to figure out his game at the top of the order. I have absolutely no objection to selecting Carberry though, he's an excellent fielder and it would take the pressure off Root.

Nick Compton would have the right to be absolutely furious if Carberry gets the nod though, as Carberry is older, has a less impressive first class record & is yet to make his test debut well into his 30's. It would be confirmation if any more were needed that his England career is over, I think.

EDIT: Carberry has played Test cricket hasn't he? 1 poor test against Bangladesh or something. I'm sure someone will tell me.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
As we know, there's a spot up for grabs but I thought it would go to a middle order player, leaving Root to figure out his game at the top of the order. I have absolutely no objection to selecting Carberry though, he's an excellent fielder and it would take the pressure off Root.

Nick Compton would have the right to be absolutely furious if Carberry gets the nod though, as Carberry is older, has a less impressive first class record & is yet to make his test debut well into his 30's. It would be confirmation if any more were needed that his England career is over, I think.

EDIT: Carberry has played Test cricket hasn't he? 1 poor test against Bangladesh or something. I'm sure someone will tell me.
From what I was hearing last night Carberry is in very good nick. Perhaps he'll be our version of Chris Rogers.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
So have we finally realised that Root is not an opener after stubbornly persisting with him throughout the summer and batting him out of position ?

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
So have we finally realised that Root is not an opener after stubbornly persisting with him throughout the summer and batting him out of position ?
Unlikely. That would involve some sort of flexible thinking and admittance that they got it wrong. Pencil Root in at No.2.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton

Welcome back, didn't take you long! I thought he opened in Championship cricket for Yorkshire before playing test cricket, I might be wrong though.

coagulantwolf

Jun 21, 2012

He has been an opener most his life, and opened for Yorkshire before playing for England..

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Unlikely. That would involve some sort of flexible thinking and admittance that they got it wrong. Pencil Root in at No.2.

You might as well BIRO in:

Root ct. Haddin b. Siddle 3

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Welcome back, didn't take you long! I thought he opened in Championship cricket for Yorkshire before playing test cricket, I might be wrong though.

You're right but he doesn't look like a test opener yet. He's a decent opener but a very good number 5/6.
I'd be happier with him there and Carberry or Compton opening

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath

I'm definitely not posting in any of the Ashes match threads!!!

They tried something and it didn't work, not everything has to be a massive drama. The selectors, coach and captain probably decided to give him a whole series as an opener. Mabye they'll drop him back to the middle order for now and try again when he has a bit more experience. He's spent his whole career as an opener, just not at that level.

Carberry does worry me a bit, apparently they kept bowling short at him last night but he didn't look as comfortable when they pitched it up, I can see their bowlers finding him out pretty quick in the tests. Agree that Compton should feel a bit agrieved by not being out there.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

Sorry, it seems he is primarily an opener but has played down to order for Yorkshire and U19 international matches. However, when someone as biased towards Yorkshire and England as Geoff Boycott says that Root is not a Test opener yet, I tend to agree. I'm pretty sure that Michael Vaughn has said the same. He is still very inexperienced so if he gets the opening spot with Cook and gets planked that could be the end of him as a player. Phil Simmons never fully regained his confidence at Test level after wearing a ball from Sid Lawrence

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I'm definitely not posting in any of the Ashes match threads!!!

They tried something and it didn't work, not everything has to be a massive drama. The selectors, coach and captain probably decided to give him a whole series as an opener. Mabye they'll drop him back to the middle order for now and try again when he has a bit more experience. He's spent his whole career as an opener, just not at that level.

Carberry does worry me a bit, apparently they kept bowling short at him last night but he didn't look as comfortable when they pitched it up, I can see their bowlers finding him out pretty quick in the tests. Agree that Compton should feel a bit agrieved by not being out there.

Billy, if you area bit nervous on here then be careful about mentioning Root or The South African Gentleman, both have achieved God like status on here and to point out any of their human frailties will result in pelters !

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I watched the first hour or so when the ball was doing a bit. Carberry was compact, watchful, he took a while to get going. My concern would be that better bowlers would tie him down and he'd eventually play a loose shot and get out. Although not in the class of Trott or Bell he might do a job.

The stats on Cook and Root opening together aren't great - one half-century partnership in 10 innings. Root likes a quick single but Cook's not that sort of player so there's run-out potential. The thing about Root down the order is that he's useful with the second new ball, but that said Matt Prior's not the best running partner either. Root needs to bat with Prior, Broad and Swann but given this Tasmanian wicket I'm not sure that actually going to happen.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I
The stats on Cook and Root opening together aren't great - one half-century partnership in 10 innings. .

That's the thing about Compton, his average wasn't great (it was a decent as a start a he had two centuries) but the Cook-Compton opening partnership average was 60-70 odd i'm sure. If there are issues with the number 6 position and the openers it's entirely of the selectors making, there was no need to make the changes

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Nice for Carberry that he's played himself into contention, but our bowlers are more of a worry than the batsmen, IMO. If Jimmy gets crocked, where are the wickets coming from?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
From the hour I saw last night I believe Cook-Carberry was more of a "partnership" than what I recall of Cook-Compton.

I always felt Compton chose to battle his demons alone, whereas Cook and Carberry were doing plenty of talking, lots of "clenched-fist knocking" between overs last night. Cook seemed to enjoy batting with a seasoned pro as opposed to a rookie like Root or a guy under loads of pressure like Compton. That said, the wicket and the bowling attack were both benign.

To be honest we just need a bloke to get through the series averaging 30-odd. If we can get this from Cook's partner you've got to fancy the other senior batsmen will make it very hard for Australia to claim 20 wickets in a match.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

ME!
Average 32 in tests. Strauss didn't go to Bangladesh. Carberry opened in his place in First Test. Nothing spectacular but not a failure. For the next test England played Tredwell as an extra bowler for Carberry. Strauss returned for the next Test series at home, which was again Bangladesh.

I absolutely agree with you and hope to see him open at The Gabba. Root then has time to work on his game and play at 6. What does that give us? Cook, Carberry, Trott, Pietersen, Bell, Root, Prior, Broad, Swann, Tremlett, Anderson. Or is that a later thread?

I felt sorry for Compton but when he spoke out for being dropped he shut the door on his career. His average is slightly better than Carberry 43.94 to 43.62. Who is the better fielder?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here