Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

With Tony Blooms love of all things Brighton

Canonman

Apr 14, 2011
With Tony Blooms love of all things Brighton would he or could he with the help of the council bring back our beloved Brighton Tigers ice hockey team? if anyone could, he could. I'm sure there would be huge interest,

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
What makes you so sure there would be huge interest?

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Does Tony love all things Brighton or does Tony love Brighton & Hove Albion FC?

Canonman

Apr 14, 2011
What makes you so sure there would be huge interest?

The Tigers in their day were the Man Utd of ice hockey and yes there was big interest. I'm sure if there was a revival the same interest would be there. Do you remember the nights down at the old stadium in West Street? they were electric.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I seem to remember one of the early plans for The Amex included an ice rink, although I may have dreamt that. I think it was a concept drawing rather than actual plans.

A revamped Marina with an ice rink would be amazing.

Canonman

Apr 14, 2011
Lack of an ice rink may not help matters.

Well that would have to be sorted first and foremost, and maybe with Tony at the helm with his business nous and contacts something could be sorted with the council. Could also be renamed I suppose Brighton Seagulls, would prefer The Tigers though but if it came to getting a team going with renaming I'd go with it.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I seem to remember one of the early plans for The Amex included an ice rink, although I may have dreamt that. I think it was a concept drawing rather than actual plans.

A revamped Marina with an ice rink would be amazing.

There were plans for a 5,000-capacity ice rink at Black Rock, but they hit the same problems that the NIMBYs who wanted the Albion at Sheepcote Valley had - lack of appropriate and workable transport plans.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
There were plans for a 5,000-capacity ice rink at Black Rock, but they hit the same problems that the NIMBYs who wanted the Albion at Sheepcote Valley had - lack of appropriate and workable transport plans.

I remember talking to someone involved in that. Would have been fantastic. A really unique venue being so close to the sea etc.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
With the transport infrustructure and parking already there, and only being used no more than 30 days a year, Bloom is missing a trick by not including an ice rink in his plans.

The Guilford ice rink draws about 350,00 visitors a year to the facility and it is something that everyone, of all abilities can use, instead of just watching football, drinking beer and eating pies. The Amex at the moment is only targeting one type of user and with a hotel being built there a state of the art ice facility would be a massive draw to the area.

Last edited:

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009

I think it was more the developer not having the funds, it was a massively expensive project that the banks suddenly decided that they had no interest funding. I imagine the Amex would have gone the same way if it wasn't for Tony.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually

No it wasn't the NIMBY's, they got permission, but the developer couldn't raise the money because the location, not being near a station, wasn't desirable enough.

It was a failure on the councils part for even suggesting it being there. The King Alfred location would be a good place for a Guilford Spectrum type development (50m pool and full sized ice rink), but we will be lucky if we end up with a 25m pool and 450 residential units at the site when looking at the new planning policy of the King Alfred.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
No it wasn't the NIMBY's

I meant the NIMBYs who offered Sheepcote as an alternative stadium site to Falmer. They too never got around the transport issue.

No it wasn't the NIMBY's, they got permission, but the developer couldn't raise the money because the location, not being near a station, wasn't desirable enough.

It was a failure on the councils part for even suggesting it being there. The King Alfred location would be a good place for a Guilford Spectrum type development (50m pool and full sized ice rink), but we will be lucky if we end up with a 25m pool and 450 residential units at the site when looking at the new planning policy of the King Alfred.

We're both right - to a point.

http://www.brighton-hove.gov.uk/content/planning/major-developments/black-rock-proposal

It seems it has never been given permission, more that the council gave 'landlord consent' - which I guess is along similar lines to the council approving the use of the pieces of land at Falmer for hotel / students digs, subject to final planning permission.

The proposals themselves appeared to be back and forth between council and developers for seven years. Finally, a cross-party decision last year within the council decided to release the land for alternative proposals.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
We're both right - to a point.

http://www.brighton-hove.gov.uk/content/planning/major-developments/black-rock-proposal

It seems it has never been given permission, more that the council gave 'landlord consent' - which I guess is along similar lines to the council approving the use of the pieces of land at Falmer for hotel / students digs, subject to final planning permission.

The proposals themselves appeared to be back and forth between council and developers for seven years. Finally, a cross-party decision last year within the council decided to release the land for alternative proposals.

Yep I stand corrected there is a difference between consent and final planning permission.

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
Hasn't that shopping mall opposite Hove Park flopped ? Knock that down and build an ice rink there.

Oct 25, 2003
Brighton & Hove is seriously lacking in the indoor arena world. The Brighton Centre is awful and not fit for purpose. It's in such a prime position (smack back in the midst of the busiest seafront in the UK), looks abysmal and could be used for so much else.

Start with knocking that pile of shit down and really going for it with an proper, purpose built arena elsewhere. Then crack on with basketball and ice hockey teams and have it as a proper gig venue as well. It doesn't need good transport links if it's in central Brighton.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here