Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lewes Bonfire v The Football

gripper stebson

Jul 27, 2004
OK here are two scenarios. One is true.

Lewes Enjoys Annual Bonfire Parade.
14 arrests and 86 people treated for injuries on the night.

Carnage as Albion and Palace fans go on rampage in Brighton.

Just imagine the outcry if it were the second scenario that were true...

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
It's a good point which I have made several times before. There is still a lot of snobbery towards football fans.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Chances of a custodial sentence from 14 bonfire arrests: slim.

Chances of a custodial sentence from 14 footballing arrests: very high.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I think you forget that we football fans piss in gardens, rip heads of ducks and rape daughters. It's true you know - SWEAT and John Catt told me so !

Good point well made though.

Word has it the cliff mob are meeting up with the Brighton youth to on take the leeds motorway service two??? could be fireworks?:mad:

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
First can I say that I have never been to Lewes on bonfire night, so I have no particular axe to grind.

The comparison is interesting, but I doubt there is anything to be gained, by highlighting it. All that will inevitably happen is that the life will be squeezed out of the Lewes celebrations.

I remember an article in one of the broadsheets a few years ago. The writer described attending a football match where there was much abusive behaviour, public drunkenness and urninating in the streets. The police were there watching all this and did nothing. Fortunately the game was at Twickenham with an oval ball.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
And extra trains put on to cater for the crowds at a drop of a hat including services serving London Rd & Moulsecoomb only, something that has never been done for football

There are extra services put on for the Amex every game, and when were there last extra trains for Lewes bonfire?

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Don't the Lewes bonfire societies not want extra trains as they don't want extra people coming?

The club want thousand of people to come to the Amex so have to pay for the trains.
Lewes bonfire is for the people of Lewes and most of them would probably rather to have all transport links closed for the day than extra transport laid on

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
There are extra services put on for the Amex every game, and when were there last extra trains for Lewes bonfire?

They always have extra trains coming back they just don't advertise them.

It does make a mockery of the whole terracing issue.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Its a complete Joke, I went last night, the first time by train, many of my friends live out there, so usually a little better prepped. I often get on the train to the AMEX where we are squeezed on like sardines, pretty much everyone had a seat last night and I got in a right huff, until a train turned up less than 10 mins later. I couldnt believe how different the service was for a poxy Bonfire night compared to the football. Police and queueing systems in place at every station along the way too. I know this is once a year, but the amount of money the club put into the city a better service should be provided.

as for lewes last night, it seemed very sterile compared to previous years, maybe I'm getting older and it is no doubt the same year after year, or possibley just because it was a tuesday night, but it was pretty dull.

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
The policing last night was WAY over the top though. When did we last have 400 police at a match?

We had a ridiculous amount for the Wolves final game of the season and Play off Second leg.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Chances of a custodial sentence from 14 bonfire arrests: slim.

Chances of a custodial sentence from 14 footballing arrests: very high.

Would it not depend what offence the arrests were for?
If the bonfire events were, say attempted murder [trying to set light to someone] and the footie ones were breach of the peace / drunk and disorderly [mouthing off to a copper] - would make a big difference, no?

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
The policing last night was WAY over the top though. When did we last have 400 police at a match?

Not sure your average Brighton game has a lot of fire, people throwing fireworks and not even 30,000 attending.

But the point is very much valid.

Would it not depend what offence the arrests were for?
If the bonfire events were, say attempted murder [trying to set light to someone] and the footie ones were breach of the peace / drunk and disorderly [mouthing off to a copper] - would make a big difference, no?

2 for throwing fireworks and 12 for public order offences.

Dandyman

In London village.
Chances of persistent attempts by the Police and other authorities trying to kill off the spirit of Bonfire - very high.

Chances of the inhabitants of an overgrown fishing village whining on an annual basis about proper Sussex - very high.

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010

Exactly.

Jan 30, 2008

has someone filmed it on their camera or will CCTV be used in evidence :whistle:
regards
DR

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here