Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Jermain Defoe

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Anyone see sports life stories featuring him last night? Always thought he was a good player but was a bit of a rude boy with an attitude , changed my mind after that , doesn't seem a bad kid to be fair.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Anyone see sports life stories featuring him last night? Always thought he was a good player but was a bit of a rude boy with an attitude , changed my mind after that , doesn't seem a bad kid to be fair.

Care to enlighten us? I am very cynical about programs/features like this which often feature bell-end footballers and invariably mention a charity. I am willing to be proven wrong.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
I've not seen it but he's always come across as a decent bloke.

It does help that any time he's had to pull out of an England squad has been down to genuine injury, unlike others.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Good programme, he did come across as a decent bloke, nice to see the video of him playing as a kid, could see how good he was then.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
What channel, would like to view this catch up.

Have know Defoe is a good bloke for a while as know someone who has lots of dealings with him from a charity point of view.

Been through a fair bit as well.

Good record for England. Should get more game time IMO

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Always rated Defoe as a player - scored goals wherever he's been, not sure how Spurs don't want to keep him (if that's the case). The type of player i'd love to see at the Amex, even though that's incredibly unlikely.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
What channel, would like to view this catch up.

Have know Defoe is a good bloke for a while as know someone who has lots of dealings with him from a charity point of view.Been through a fair bit as well.

Good record for England. Should get more game time IMO

This is the bit which bugs me. I know little about Defoe so cannot comment on his specific case but there are a number footballers with, IMHO, quite dislikeable characters and whenever their character is questioned the charity work is always rolled out as thought it somehow negates their bell-endery. And they never shy away from mentioning their charitable deeds through either naming their charity after themselves like Craig Bellamy or splattering their personal websites with their althruistic deeds like Stephen Ireland.

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
This is the bit which bugs me. I know little about Defoe so cannot comment on his specific case but there are a number footballers with, IMHO, quite dislikeable characters and whenever their character is questioned the charity work is always rolled out as thought it somehow negates their bell-endery. And they never shy away from mentioning their charitable deeds through either naming their charity after themselves like Craig Bellamy or splattering their personal websites with their althruistic deeds like Stephen Ireland.

You've been on Stephen Ireland's personal web page? You have too much time on your hands.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
Regardless of what good this guy does. This image makes me feel a bit sick.

helpstephen.jpg

Edit: Spelling

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
And they never shy away from mentioning their charitable deeds through either naming their charity after themselves like Craig Bellamy or splattering their personal websites with their althruistic deeds like Stephen Ireland.

To be fair to Craig Bellamy I think he was doing it for a long time before it was widely publicised, I'm pretty sure he's not a candidate for a smashy & nicey "do a lot of good work for charidee, don't like to talk about it" as I think he rarely talks about it.

In the paradox that is life it's entirely possible to behave like a bellend most of the time but then do something really great - or to be rather nice and personable, then do something horrific.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
To be fair to Craig Bellamy I think he was doing it for a long time before it was widely publicised, I'm pretty sure he's not a candidate for a smashy & nicey "do a lot of good work for charidee, don't like to talk about it" as I think he rarely talks about it.

In the paradox that is life it's entirely possible to behave like a bellend most of the time but then do something really great - or to be rather nice and personable, then do something horrific.

http://www.craigbellamyfoundation.org/

I disagree; the name is hardly low-key flying-under-the-radar is it? Come on.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Cynicism aside Tony Adams seems to have genuinly turned his life around and his charity does not directly carry his name either.

Oct 25, 2003
generally if you're running/promoting a charity it's a good idea that people know about it. Tends to defeat the purpose if no-one knows anything about it

why do people get so bothered about WHY people are doing charity work? surely it's more important that they're doing it

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I've always thought if I had been a footballer and millionaire before 20 then I would have bought the flashy car, house, bought the most expensive champagne to show off etc.

But I also would have liked to set up or help a charity/foundation.

So I suppose I would have fallen into the stereotypical category that some people hate for some reason.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
http://www.craigbellamyfoundation.org/

I disagree; the name is hardly low-key flying-under-the-radar is it? Come on.

But it's in Sierra Leone, the name of a premier league footballer is going to help the cause out there. Read up about it and decide for yourself what his motivations are, personally from what I've read I can't see any kind of ulterior motive going on. Just browsing the website and it's not like he's plastered his mug all over it with publicity shots of him and brown kids, stephen ireland's website on the other hand :facepalm:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here