Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Albion doc blocked Bruno return [The Argus]

Newshound

Brighton 8049
Jun 5, 2011
[h=3]Albion doc blocked Bruno return[/h] 5:00pm Tuesday 5th November 2013 in Albion By Andy Naylor
2711205.jpg
Spurs controversially allowed Hugo Lloris to continue playing after he was knocked out at Everton.
*Albion's club doctor has revealed there was never any chance of Bruno being allowed to continue after he was knocked unconscious at Doncaster on Saturday.

* Helge Riepenhof has told The Argus he would have been similarly cautious if he had been involved in the incident at Goodison Park the following day which has led to widespread condemnation of Tottenham.

* Their French goalkeeper Hugo Lloris was allowed to carry on after he was knocked out in a collision with the knee of Everton striker Romelu Lukaku.

* Andre Villas-Boas, the Spurs manager, admitted following the 0-0 draw that he went against medical guidelines to keep Lloris on the pitch.

* Albion head coach Oscar Garcia, guided by Riepenhof, took a different course of action at the Keepmoat Stadium 24 hours earlier when Bruno was poleaxed heading clear a shot from David Cotterill.

* The Spanish right-back was substituted after lengthy treatment early in the second half of the Seagulls' 3-1 victory.

* Riepenhof revealed: "When I ran on the pitch he lost consciousness. He was not reacting, not answering.

* "In the Premier League they had something similar. There the doctor decided differently or I think the manager made the decison but for me I follow quite straight guidelines in these situations and there was no discussion about Bruno continuing to play.

* "Obviously, he wanted to continue playing but he didn't really know where he was and he couldn't remember anything.

* "There were clear signs that he had concussion. He didn't react properly, so I had to ask the manager to change him."

* Riepenhof discovered when he was a medical student in America about the risks involved to sportsmen suffering head injuries.

* The German said: "I am quite lucky because as a student I studied at Harvard Medical School in Boston. There was a guy who did some research about the changes in athletes' brains.

* "He looked at American football players, boxers and soccer players and they saw some dramatic changes because of repetitive trauma.

* "What they also saw, in acute situations like this, is that if someone continues playing and gets another trauma to the head there are major changes that can cause a kind of dysfunction of the brain related to a non-bacteria infection which can be very dangerous."

p-89EKCgBk8MZdE.gif

Original article

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here