Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Wearing the Poppy.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
I may will be wrong,but commonsense says otherwise,therefore if you have or wear a Poppy with the green leaf should that leaf be not set at 11 as in THE 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month ? Otherwise to me it is diluted in memory and meaning.

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
What's with those designer poppies that some TV presenters have been wearing that are so small, you almost need a telescope to see them?

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
According to a spokeswoman from the Royal British Legion, "It is a matter of personal choice whether an individual chooses to wear a poppy and also how they choose to wear it.

There is no right or wrong lapel, no right or wrong leaf position, no right or wrong time of day, no right or wrong start date. The best way wear a poppy, is to wear it with pride."

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Surely we don't have to have PC rear it's ugly head on where the leaf should be, the size, the exact shade of red etc..........jeez.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ

Shuggie

Sep 19, 2003
East Sussex coast
Poppies never had leaves when I were a lad so they can't have become commonplace until maybe 60 or more years after WW1.
It is some sort of latter day urban myth that there is some tradition attached to the orientation of the green bit.

A bit like the idea that feet on equestrian statues tell you whether the represented figure died in battle or not.

It's all bollocks I tell you.

Or, as others have suggested, see what the British Legion have to say on the subject.

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
OMG...what a load of claptrap. Another wonderful invention of the "UK Politically Correct Party" I was a career Royal Marine though to be fair when I served there was no leaf appended. But I have since attended services where ones RSM would have kicked yer arse if you had got it wrong, but there is no wrong....... other than not remembering.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here