Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What happened to basketball in Sussex ?

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I gave up in 1976. picked for Sussex u-18s, bus to Hayward's heath, stay at hotel, in morning told that only room for the 10 court players in match minibus. shame for someone I thought. Then given £3 to buy some sweets and told that the someone was me! Spent day alone in Hayward's heath, eating old Jamaica Chocolate bars, nearly crying and being wound up when given a medal. Life got better!
who was the South African sports shop man linked to basketball then? not that that made my life better I hasten to add.

Elvis

Mar 22, 2010
Viva Las Hove
Funny! I was thinking this the other day. They won the league a few years back, and if memory serves me right the coach/owner packed up the franchise over financial reasons. I remember he stated they would be back one day, but as to date....nothing!

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
In their later years, wasn't there some affiliation with BHAFC and The Bears ? I might be mistaken but were Skint involved ? Also they played in blue and white stripes ?

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Basketball is still surviving albeit at a lower level. Worthing Thunder are in EBL Division 1, following an unsuccessful attempt at the BBL.

Unfortunately when they went into the BBL, the economy was taking a downward turn and effectively, no TV deal (though one came along with Sky subsequently) and crippling travel costs. Worthing to Glasgow, twice in a season isn't cheap, meant that the numbers simply didn't add up.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
The original side in brighton. Was Brighton giants and they played in the old boys club in Edward Street next to Amex House better know as thewedding cake.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
The dirtiest side in the Sussex league was Brighton Red Sox and White Sox home court was the old Falmer school.!!! :thumbsup::bounce:

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Can't understand why basketball is so massive in the US. On the basis that most teams will score on possession it always seems to come down to a very small margin in the last few mins of the 4th quarter. Why bother with the other 3? Still I guess the yanks would never understand 5 days of cricket and still no winner!

viscentaye

Jun 26, 2012
Worthing Bears managed a coupe of league titles if i remember rightly

Yes, he made an appearance at The Triangle many years ago, turned up well after tip off but atmosphere was great.

Went and watched the Bears in Worthing many times in the 90s, fondly remember the championship winning seasons and last minute winners in the dying seconds of the playoffs.

ali jenkins

Thanks to Guinness Dave
Feb 9, 2006
Southwick
I remember watching the Bears a couple of times at the Brighton Centre and there was loads of people there.

I guess hiring the place for 10 times a year and then trying to compete with well established teams isn't going to be easy.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Yes, I remember going along to watch him play. Brought in a good crowd. Bears did wear blue and white stripes.

alot of clubs in Spain and other European countries are affiliated to football teams such as Barca and Real.

That was becoming the case over here back in the day. Manchester United had a basketball team for a spell.

I spent a lot of Saturday nights at the Worthing sports centre in the mid-late 80s watching the Bears, often travelling away to see 'us' at places like Brixton, Bracknell/Thames Valley and Kingston. The end of season playoffs at Wembley Arena were always good fun too.

Billy Hungrecker (who I believe passed away a couple of years ago), Alan Cunningham, Herman Harried, Mark Hubbard, Leo Rogers and Colin Irish are some of the names I remember with great fondness from back then.

Oct 25, 2003
i THINK (and it was a while ago so may be wrong) that the bears used to give away loads of free tickets to kids which bolstered their crowds....main problem was that not enough people were in to basketball enough to regularly pay for it...plus they had to hire the brighton centre/triangle and I doubt the tv money was much so the figures just didn't add up.

my general thought is that these days it will take a new indoor arena with high quality facilities for a basketball (and ICE HOCKEY) team to really take off here

and people are right, rodman did play a couple of games for Brighton...pretty sure it was after he was in Celebrity Big Brother

Charles 'Charley' Charles

NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2005
The Mile Of Oaks
That was becoming the case over here back in the day. Manchester United had a basketball team for a spell.

I spent a lot of Saturday nights at the Worthing sports centre in the mid-late 80s watching the Bears, often travelling away to see 'us' at places like Brixton, Bracknell/Thames Valley and Kingston. The end of season playoffs at Wembley Arena were always good fun too.

Billy Hungrecker (who I believe passed away a couple of years ago), Alan Cunningham, Herman Harried, Mark Hubbard, Leo Rogers and Colin Irish are some of the names I remember with great fondness from back then.

They were the days I remember, my brother is still the very proud owner of a signed Herman Harreid shirt. Coincidently I was at school with Alan Cunningham's son, Aaron for a year or 2 when they first came over.

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
i THINK (and it was a while ago so may be wrong) that the bears used to give away loads of free tickets to kids which bolstered their crowds....main problem was that not enough people were in to basketball enough to regularly pay for it...plus they had to hire the brighton centre/triangle and I doubt the tv money was much so the figures just didn't add up.

my general thought is that these days it will take a new indoor arena with high quality facilities for a basketball (and ICE HOCKEY) team to really take off here

and people are right, rodman did play a couple of games for Brighton...pretty sure it was after he was in Celebrity Big Brother

Yes to all the above really.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
The current Worthing Thunder line up, is largely made up of local youngsters, which recognises the strength of the sport locally. Last season they really struggled, until they managed to bring back a big American and went on a fantastic winning streak to grab the last place in the play offs. Don't be mislead into thinking this was a one man team, it just meant they were less predictable.
Crowds are around the 300-500 mark, I would guess. Home matches tend to be Saturday night 19:30 at Worthing Leisure Centre, along with the occasional Sunday afternoon game. A reasonably priced family night out, regardless of the winter weather.

http://www.worthingthunder.net/

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here