Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brief encounters: Leo Sayer

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
Does anyone else remember Leo Sayer before he was famous?
Met Adam Faith once in Churchill Square and had a very brief encounter with Sally Geeson (elsewhere on my blog) in Worthing, while doing a Saturday job.
Many years later - after his Olympic years - in about 1992 met Steve Ovett in a pub in Scotland and spent a good hour chatting with him about Brighton and Hove and school days!
Trying to gather a collection of brief encounters with famous sports people or celebs - preferably from Sussex!
http://seagullnic.wordpress.com/2013/10/01/brief-encounter-1
Cheers

Saltydog

Aug 29, 2011
Ocean Wave
Used to gig in a pub over the footbridge in Shoreham - can't recall the name just now.

One of his songs includes a reference to the church bells of St Mary's (Shoreham).

Nice chap.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Does anyone else remember Leo Sayer before he was famous?
Met Adam Faith once in Churchill Square and had a very brief encounter with Sally Geeson (elsewhere on my blog) in Worthing, while doing a Saturday job.
Many years later - after his Olympic years - in about 1992 met Steve Ovett in a pub in Scotland and spent a good hour chatting with him about Brighton and Hove and school days!
Trying to gather a collection of brief encounters with famous sports people or celebs - preferably from Sussex!
http://seagullnic.wordpress.com/2013/10/01/brief-encounter-1
Cheers

Leo Sayer lived up on Downside didn't he ? Considering he became famous, what mid-70s, you'd have to be of a certain age to have known him beforehand.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
He lived in Conway Court for a while at the top of Sackville Road...I only know this, as my best friend at the time, was David Van Day... not sure what happened to David tbh...but when he was 13 he was knocking off a Daily Sketch girl, their equivalent of the Page3 girl...so, he was useful to know haha.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
he went to school with my older brothers at robert southwell ,now chatsmore , he was the class punch bag apparently but on the up side pauline collins done them up for the school play two years running ....think my oldest brother shagged her but i'm not sure...i can ask him tomorrow if you like...!!

Hamilton

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
My mum worked with Leo Sayer in the late 60's. He was on work experience/apprenticeship or something. May have been at the Argus or at a factory in Shoreham - possibly the latter. She said he was a very nice young man.

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
He worked at Southlands Hospital sometime until about 1973... I guess he was aged about 24 or 25 then. He was quite small but had a mop of hair - tied back for his hospital duties. I always thought he could have made it in the Roger Daltrey style but he sort of sold out after his first two albums and became very middle of the road.
He seemed to be gigging a few places around Shoreham when I was in my mid/late teens and was always know as Gerry.
His first album Silverbird came out in late 1973 after he appeared on Old Grey Whistle Test.
Noticed he mentions Montegue Street in Worthing in his chart hit Moonlighting!

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
I once ran into Desmond Dekker in a hotel foyer just outside Kenilworth, Warwickshire at 2am.

Sorry, none of that is particularly Sussex-based. :(

2am .... he obviously had to get up early in the morning, slaving for bread!

Sorry, hat and coat....

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
He worked at Southlands Hospital sometime until about 1973... I guess he was aged about 24 or 25 then. He was quite small but had a mop of hair - tied back for his hospital duties. I always thought he could have made it in the Roger Daltrey style but he sort of sold out after his first two albums and became very middle of the road.
He seemed to be gigging a few places around Shoreham when I was in my mid/late teens and was always know as Gerry.
His first album Silverbird came out in late 1973 after he appeared on Old Grey Whistle Test.

Didn't he record Daltrey's One Man Band, or was it the other way around?

Barrow Boy

NSC Patreon
Nov 2, 2007
GOSBTS
Used to gig in a pub over the footbridge in Shoreham - can't recall the name just now.

One of his songs includes a reference to the church bells of St Mary's (Shoreham).

Nice chap.
The pub was The Lady Jane and is mentioned in the song The Bells of St Mary's from his 'Just a Boy' album
I grew up in Shoreham and I'm 5 years younger than Leo (Gerry), we lived near Southlands Hospital and I think his Father worked there as well. Used to see him about the town but didn't know him to talk to. Went to see him live at The Dome in 1974 & 75 and he was brilliant, he's over here on tour at the moment and is appearing at The Assembly Hall in Worthing on Nov 22nd.
Didn't he record Daltrey's One Man Band, or was it the other way around?

Daltrey recorded Sayer's 'One Man Band'.

Leo and his songwriting partner David Courtney wrote nearly all the tracks on Daltrey's first solo album 'Daltrey'.

gumbo43

gumbo
Jun 9, 2011
hove
Was in band in Shoreham called patches before was famous as my uncle was drummer, he lived on house boat Shoreham at some stage, then went solo.. He's a one man band, nobody knows or understands, but if there's anyone out there who can lend a hand, blah blah

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I had quite a long chat with the Troggs at what was Jenkinsons many moons ago when they were trying to make a comeback, there was virtually nobody in the place. Pleasant bunch of guys except for Reg Presley who was a surly git :smile:

Last edited:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here