Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Let's introduce each other to some NEW/INTERESTING FOODS

Steve in Japan

NSC Patron
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne
I lived in Tokyo for nine months and mostly love Japanese food. I will defend sushi and sashimi to death and probably only cook my fish back home medium rare. There is NOTHING like a hot bowl of ramen and a cold beer on a cool winter's day. And the aforementioned nashi pears are LUSH. However, natto aside, I did have a few odd, a few revolting and a few tasteless dishes and without exception they involved tofu, daikon or both.

God, forgot daikon. Plain nasty although it does generate some impressive turbulence.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I have been growing Thai Basil for a couple of years now. It grows fairly well over here and has an amazing vibrant smell if you gently brush the plant. Use in Tom Yum soups and lots of other Thai recipes or use it in place of normal Basil. Once you smell it you are hooked ! Thai Basil.JPG

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Isn't that bergamot?

No, It's Thai Basil but it is showing it's purple flowers.These have to be cut off periodically otherwise it sets seed and dies back. Bergamot is entirely different and is the foul ingredient in Earl Grey Tea. :eek:

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
I have been growing Thai Basil for a couple of years now. It grows fairly well over here and has an amazing vibrant smell if you gently brush the plant. Use in Tom Yum soups and lots of other Thai recipes or use it in place of normal Basil. Once you smell it you are hooked !View attachment 48475
Tried to grow this twice now I think and failed - will try again next year. Love Tom Yum soup also.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
No, It's Thai Basil but it is showing it's purple flowers.These have to be cut off periodically otherwise it sets seed and dies back. Bergamot is entirely different and is the foul ingredient in Earl Grey Tea. :eek:

Ah, thanks. It resembled the bergamot I once grew. It's supposed to be carcinogenic as well :(

Thai basil looks very lush, I like it!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Absolutely. The best kimchi should make your scalp itch.

Kkakdugi - radish kimchi - is even better in my books.

Both dead easy to make at home too.

Durian fruit nice.

Durian ice cream - wonderful.

Pitch for gameshow: "Who's Stench Is It Anyway" in which two intrepid travelers (let's call them Guinness Boy and Trufflehound) go to Asia surviving only on really spicy kimchi, beer and durian. At the end of each day they get a room each while a durian or three is left to, er, brew in a third. In the morning blindfolded contestants are led in to each room to decide which of the three was responsible for the odour. Since no one has yet invented smell-o-vision I would suggest the relative stench is represented by a disgusted looking Dennis Healy having his eyebrows singed off.

*calls Channel 5*

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Soy has been linked with messing with male hormones, including effecting fertility and even growth of breast tissue in men.

Try Almond milk for a good milk alternative.

Whilst doing the big shop, this morning, I bought some almond milk.
I'm now somewhat intimidated by it :lol:

I also bought some dates, as I have a half arsed plan to make some energy bars.
They too are now scaring me!

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
Pitch for gameshow: "Who's Stench Is It Anyway" in which two intrepid travelers (let's call them Guinness Boy and Trufflehound) go to Asia surviving only on really spicy kimchi, beer and durian. At the end of each day they get a room each while a durian or three is left to, er, brew in a third. In the morning blindfolded contestants are led in to each room to decide which of the three was responsible for the odour. Since no one has yet invented smell-o-vision I would suggest the relative stench is represented by a disgusted looking Dennis Healy having his eyebrows singed off.

*calls Channel 5*

I realise this post is over 2 years old, but by coincidence I was just enjoyong some homemade kimchi a couple of hours ago with my lunch.

Had some beer too.

And yes, I probably do need to open some windows...

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I realise this post is over 2 years old, but by coincidence I was just enjoyong some homemade kimchi a couple of hours ago with my lunch.

Had some beer too.

And yes, I probably do need to open some windows...

I still think it's a good idea but Channel 4 never called me back. Too highbrow?

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
I don't remember writing that, I thought to myself.

Then I saw the date and of course I bloody don't, it was 12 and a bit years ago. Scary stuff!

12 years ago? Can you let me know if Brighton actually got promoted 10 years ago in 2015?

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Having some nice chunky all meat burgers but no buns, I found some garlic and coriander naan bread in the fridge. Grilled the burgers and heated the naans, they are lush, good with cheese , tomato sauce. Haven't tried onion yet but i'm sure just as good. No tasteless buns for me in future.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
In the last two years I'e been eating more Anchovies, Cavala Nero, whelks, Tesco salted caramel sauce, epoisses cheese than before & remained the same weight
I've diarised for mid Nov 2017 for next update

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
peny8a6e.jpg

Dragon Fruit - looks great but sadly tastes a bit dull. Like a cross between a kiwi fruit and a pear, but without the flavour.

Long ago I was disappointed by my first dragon fruit. Like you, I found it bland and never had the urge to eat one again. However, I had a vibrant red-fleshed one today and it was great. A flavour worthy of the look and name 🐉

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here