Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

India launches spacecraft to Mars ... UK gives India £200m foreign aid

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Good to know that our "foreign aid" is going to such good causes.

The government has said that this foreign aid will be phased out by 2015, but if India has the money to join the space race the aid should be cut off immediately.

Why the hell should my tax money go to a country that's off exploring Mars???

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Good to know that our "foreign aid" is going to such good causes.

The government has said that this foreign aid will be phased out by 2015, but if India has the money to join the space race the aid should be cut off immediately.

Why the hell should my tax money go to a country that's off exploring Mars???

Don't know whjy I'm bothering but...

Pre existing agreement - India won't be receiving a penny post 2016 (from memory).
Loads of people in India need aid.
The whole world benefits from the associated discoveries of space travel, especially us.
£200m is really not alot of money.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Can't wait for the Bollywood movie on this.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Seriously, why we would want to give ANYTHING to India? Let them fend for themselves, they do NOT need £200million from us. Whoever makes the decisions to give money to these countries should be held to account, why on EARTH are we giving such ridiculous sums to countries like India?

What a joke. Their stupid waste of money mission to Mars aside, it's a country which does not need our financial support. How about investing that £200million into the infrastructure of the UK? That money could be spent on ANYTHING else and it would be better spent than giving it to India.

:facepalm:

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013

Pre existing agreement - India won't be receiving a penny post 2016 (from memory).
The whole world benefits from the associated discoveries of space travel, especially us.

I agree with you, I don't know why you bothered either. If £200m is not a lot of money, why waste it on a country with a population of well over a billion, when their government sees fit to spend fortunes on nuclear weapons and space exploration?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

It would half the effect of the "bedroom tax" for starters - I'm sure those struggling on the breadline here due to the affect of the bedroom tax are very grateful for India's efforts to go to the final frontier.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Seriously, why we would want to give ANYTHING to India? Let them fend for themselves, they do NOT need £200million from us. Whoever makes the decisions to give money to these countries should be held to account, why on EARTH are we giving such ridiculous sums to countries like India?

What a joke. Their stupid waste of money mission to Mars aside, it's a country which does not need our financial support. How about investing that £200million into the infrastructure of the UK? That money could be spent on ANYTHING else and it would be better spent than giving it to India.

:facepalm:

I agree with you, I don't know why you bothered either. If £200m is not a lot of money, why waste it on a country with a population of well over a billion, when their government sees fit to spend fortunes on nuclear weapons and space exploration?

This isn't £200m our government commits out of the pure goodness of their hearts, this is part of ensuring an involvement in an emerging economy, and opening of doors and strategic invitations. Call me a cynic, but it's all a bit Smashie and Nicie; 'hey want to do some business mate, we do a lot of work for charity...'.

I wouldn't be surprised if much of their space programme is built from British supply contracts.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006

Wow, is this really your explanation said in some kind of 'must I will educate you' kinda tone ....... please re-read your post.

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
Foreign aid:Taking money that could be used for the poor people in a rich country and giving it to the rich people in a poor country.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patreon
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough

Lots of people in our own country need aid, surely the government should be helping the people that they are supposed to serve primarily?

Also, £200 million is a lot of money to just give away. Seems that we paid for this space mission four times over with a few million to spare with this lovely donation.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Lots of people in our own country need aid, surely the government should be helping the people that they are supposed to serve primarily?

Also, £200 million is a lot of money to just give away.

They did fund our Industrial Revolution for nearly a hundred years....

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
I suppose, in an attempt to have a more educated argument here, it would be useful to know what the value of the UK's overall trade is with India, which is, after all, the second largest country in the world in terms of population and an increasingly powerful presence in terms of international business.

It does seem strange to be giving aid to a country that has nuclear weapons and a space programme, but I wouldn't mind betting that the value of our trade with them is far in excess of £200 million. Perhaps it's one of those little things that Governments do to help smooth that relationship. A small (relatively speaking) sweetener in terms of what we get in return.

I have no idea, by the way, it was just a thought.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I suppose, in an attempt to have a more educated argument here, it would be useful to know what the value of the UK's overall trade is with India, which is, after all, the second largest country in the world in terms of population and an increasingly powerful presence in terms of international business.

It does seem strange to be giving aid to a country that has nuclear weapons and a space programme, but I wouldn't mind betting that the value of our trade with them is far in excess of £200 million. Perhaps it's one of those little things that Governments do to help smooth that relationship. A small (relatively speaking) sweetener in terms of what we get in return.

I said a similar thing above. A bit of 'goodwill' grease on the cogs for our former colony.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003

You and Bold Seagull are suggesting that i might need to know something about economics, politics and business to understand this ?

Sod that, i don't have time to learn about it - I'm too busy being outraged :rant::rant::rant:

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I said a similar thing above. A bit of 'goodwill' grease on the cogs for our former colony.

That may well be the case but surely it would be much more moral to agree to a trading agreement without barriers so both countries can trade with each other at an advantage ? Oh silly me, we're not currently allowed to do that !

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here