Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Adam Virgo as pundit - poll

Apologies if this is already buried somewhere in another thread. Listened to some of the game on the radio whilst out and about on Saturday. I thought he did a good job - what do you think? In fact I think I will add a poll.

......Or I would if I could find the "post a poll with this thread" button. Where has it gone.

Anyhow questions like

1. Sign him up - the new Jimmy Hill?
  2. OK - give him time.
  3. Bring back Warren Aspinall!

Last edited:

Ludensian Gull

Apr 18, 2009
Thorpness Suffolk
Thought he came across very well when covering the game for sky on monday night .

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Was a pundit for the Watford game and IMO came across very well.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Good, unbiased comments

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
Something vampirically piercing in his pale, glassy eyes. I found him reasonably well spoken when I snapped out of the transfiction of his I-will-father-you stare.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Virgs can commentate, Warren as pundit, Jonnyburger can get the tea's in and make sure the right switches are switched at the right time.
Frankly though, it should be done in house without the BBC involved.

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
I didn't see him on TV but he was good for the Donny game on BBC Sussex. Aspinall is good value but on the whole I'd prefer Virgo or Byrne

John Byrnes Mullet

Global Circumnavigator
Oct 4, 2004
Brighton
I thought that Virgo was fine but also first time I have listened to the whole of the show for a while. It has gone downhill. I used to love listening to Hart and Hawes post match. It was real good local radio back then at Withdean but now the club has moved on it seems to me that BBC Sussex Saturday sport has taken a step back. John Cantor reminds me and sounds like when I was a 10 year old trying to mimic Motty when playing Subbuteo, and post match reminded me of an amateur hospital radio show. The show was crap IMHO.

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
Remarkably unbiased last Monday, came across rather better than I thought he would. Looked too much like David Walliams for me, though.

hahaha I thought this as well.

He's been on TalkSport a few times this season as well. He speaks really well with great knowledge.

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
I just wish he wouldn't preface nearly everything he says with the words "as I say" or "as you say." It gets really irritating after a while.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Virgs can commentate, Warren as pundit, Jonnyburger can get the tea's in and make sure the right switches are switched at the right time.
Frankly though, it should be done in house without the BBC involved.

Oh yes definitely this

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Virgs is better than Johnny Cantor imo. JC will be chatting about something, and you haven't got a clue where the ball is or even in which half, at times.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I thought he was very good on BBC Sussex and I actually understood what he was talking about. My only criticism was his continuous use of "as I said" at the start of a sentence he clearly hadn't said, but I can live with that.

EDIT: just read Zebedee's comment, glad it wasn't just me that got annoyed by that!

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I just wish he wouldn't preface nearly everything he says with the words "as I say" or "as you say." It gets really irritating after a while.

When you're talking about stuff that's live and unscripted, repeated or stock verbal conjunctions come in to play; it's natural. The trick is to recognise it and actively attempt to eradicate it to the point that they naturally no longer occur.

Give him a chance.

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
When you're talking about stuff that's live and unscripted, repeated or stock verbal conjunctions come in to play; it's natural. The trick is to recognise it and actively attempt to eradicate it to the point that they naturally no longer occur.

Give him a chance.

Very happy to do so. I think Virgs has much to offer as a pundit; and should grow into the role well if given an extended run out by the media world. He is clearly very knowledgeable about football.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Very happy to do so. I think Virgs has much to offer as a pundit; and should grow into the role well if given an extended run out by the media world.

Talksport have invited him several times so his reputation seems to be growing. I wish him well.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here