Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

I'm no accountant.......

Bring back Bryan wade!!

I wanna caravan for me ma
Jun 28, 2010
Hassocks
But I am struggling to comprehend how the club are expecting to report a 2nd successive annual loss of 8m.

How is this possible when we have the highest average attendance in the Championship, run a thriving catering business on match days and have significant ongoing income from merchandise sales?

By my reckoning, the income received from season ticket sales alone would amount to in excess of 5 million per annum.

Educated and informed responses would be welcomed, many thanks.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
How many players do you think we have earning over half a million a year? And how many earning a quarter of a million? I'd imagine it soon adds up.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
But I am struggling to comprehend how the club are expecting to report a 2nd successive annual loss of 8m.

How is this possible when we have the highest average attendance in the Championship, run a thriving catering business on match days and have significant ongoing income from merchandise sales?

By my reckoning, the income received from season ticket sales alone would amount to in excess of 5 million per annum.

A profit (or loss) is the net result of revenue and expenses.

Yes, we have revenues that are higher than a lot of clubs in the division (excluding, of course, those with parachute payments), but our expenses are also correspondingly higher too. I'm sure, when the accounts for 2012-13 get published, we will see that our wages and salaries for that season were quite a bit higher than in 2011-12 (there was a significant investment on the playing side). Barber has been tasked with increasing revenues and cutting expenses, hence the job redundancies at the Amex earlier this year.

Incidentally, the loss in 2011-12 was 9.1 million, not 8 million.

Bring back Bryan wade!!

I wanna caravan for me ma
Jun 28, 2010
Hassocks
How many players do you think we have earning over half a million a year? And how many earning a quarter of a million? I'd imagine it soon adds up.

CMS, Ulloa, Bridcutt, Buckley, Upson, Koosh and Greer. Can't think many others are on in excess of 500k

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
I still think it's very worrying that we are making big losses despite very healthy attendances and other match day revenues. What happens if we have two or three uninspiring mid-table seasons in the Championship and our average attendance dips below 20,000 which is certainly a possibility.

The one thing this tells me is that players wages are far too high not just for us but throughout football, a club with our income really shouldn't be losing 8 million pounds per year it's absolutely ridiculous.

Then again it might be the club being clever as by reporting significant losses it makes it easier for us to meet FFP rules in future seasons.

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
CMS, Ulloa, Bridcutt, Buckley, Upson, Koosh and Greer. Can't think many others are on in excess of 500k

And don't forget the board of directors, as well as all other expenditure from catering and stadium tenancy costs.

That said, I'd be interested to know how much of these costs the club recoups from sponsorship.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne

you are about two weeks behind
I asked this question then in another thread
and as yet not had a convincing answer
something wrong somewhere?

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy

How difficult can it be? The club has expenses that massively exceed revenues..... Whatever the rights and wrongs, the stadium is very expensive to run and the transport costs are are always going to be an issue....

TottonSeagull

Mar 5, 2011
Totton (Nr Southampton)
How difficult can it be? The club has expenses that massively exceed revenues..... Whatever the rights and wrongs, the stadium is very expensive to run and the transport costs are are always going to be an issue....

I wouldn't worry about answering the cat bloke. He is an armchair fan that puts no money into the Albion and constantly moans about the club. Waste of air!

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ

But NOTHING would convince you, would it, because you want to believe that there is some conspiracy afoot, or that everyone running the club is a crook, don't you? Hence your oft-repeated mantra that you don't trust any one of "them".

I'll happily send you the accounts for the last 5 seasons, but you have no interest in knowing the facts, do you? Ignorance really is bliss in your case.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Look at pretty much every professional club's books for the last 20 years and 99% of them will be making a loss. We aren't any different, we aren't the first club to ever get a 25,000 average gate, why do people expect us to be the only club that makes money :shrug:

You don't make money at football, simple as.

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
To give some more accurate figures, here's last year's financial results:

http://www.northstandchat.com/showt...uot-Albion-2012-financial-results-quot-thread

View attachment 40797

2012 revenue £22.2m up from £7.5m in 2011. reflecting promotion to Championship from League One.

2012 revenue £22.2m (2011 £7.5m): ticketing £7.9m (2011 £2.3m), TV £5.7m (2011 £1.6m), commercial £8.6m (2011 £3.6m).

2012 accounts: average attendance increased from 7,352 at Withdean to 20,028. Season tickets for 2012/13 21,835 (11/12 17,636).

2012 commercial £8.6m (‘11 £3.6m): sponsorship £3.9m (£2.0m), retail £2.0m (£0.5m), catering £1.3m (£0.0m), 1901 club £1.1m (£0.0m).

2012 staff costs doubled to £14.7m (2011 £7.2m), but wages to turnover ratio down from 95% to 67%.

67% wages to turnover ratio lower than many in Championship: Bristol City 157%, Leicester 130%, #Boro 119%, Forest 119%, Cardiff 103%

2012 other costs more than doubled from £7.5m to £16.9m, due to “costs of running a state of the art stadium”.

2012 gross debt of £120.5m (2011 £95.0m) – owed to Tony Bloom (unsecured & interest-free). Less £10.2m cash gives net debt £110.3m.

Including £18m capital injected in 2009, Tony Bloom has put nearly £140m into the club. Since year-end £40m converted into capital.

Amex stadium cost £103m & expansion will cost £15m. New training ground will cost £22m (per 2011 a/c), so total commitment of £140m.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here