Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bloody trains

Bez

Jul 14, 2003
No trains this Saturday between Haywards Heath and Brighton. What a pain that is

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Again ?

RioGrandeGull

Jan 9, 2013
Isle of Wight
No trains this Saturday between Haywards Heath and Brighton. What a pain that is

There does appear to be some sort of service......
Half hourly between Haywards Heath and Brighton, calling all stations, but going via Hove....!!!

What is also a pain is that Southern never show their extra trains they run, both between Brighton and Falmer, and between Brighton and Worthing, until the Saturday morning.
So, at the moment there are only shown the normal 4 trains an hour from Brighton to Falmer, before the match, with no extra trains back from Brighton towards Worthing, especially as this weekend there are no London trains on the west coast.

JTR938

Nov 24, 2012
Normally, I would agree.

But why so on this occasion? Maintenance schedules are worked out months in advance - certainly way before the fixtures come out.

Ok, but sorry to reffer back to a previous thread abouth Gatwick Express....
Again this morning my service was reduced to 5 carriages (normaly 10), this being the 5 time in 2 weeks so roughly 25% of my journys. When this happens it is very difficult to get a seat! so consequently spent my commute this morning standing next to the toilet with some fat bas***d who hasn’t yet grasped the concept of covering your nose/mouth when sneezing!
My point being, this is meant to be a "premium" service and they certainly know how to charge a "premium" to use the GE but are very quick to reduce the bloody train sizes thus causeing discomfort to poor sods like myself!

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Ok, but sorry to reffer back to a previous thread abouth Gatwick Express....
Again this morning my service was reduced to 5 carriages (normaly 10), this being the 5 time in 2 weeks so roughly 25% of my journys. When this happens it is very difficult to get a seat! so consequently spent my commute this morning standing next to the toilet with some fat bas***d who hasn’t yet grasped the concept of covering your nose/mouth when sneezing!
My point being, this is meant to be a "premium" service and they certainly know how to charge a "premium" to use the GE but are very quick to reduce the bloody train sizes thus causeing discomfort to poor sods like myself!

Thats because those trains are incredibly old - the base equipment is over 40 years old, some of which actually caught fire on a service at South Croydon yesterday - probably why your journey this morning was ran with a shorter train - the other alternative was to cancel, A shorter than normal train is better than no train !!

Normally, I would agree.

But why so on this occasion? Maintenance schedules are worked out months in advance - certainly way before the fixtures come out.

Not months, but over a YEAR in advance. If anyone is to blame, then its the FL.

JTR938

Nov 24, 2012
Thats because those trains are incredibly old - the base equipment is over 40 years old, some of which actually caught fire on a service at South Croydon yesterday - probably why your journey this morning was ran with a shorter train - the other alternative was to cancel, A shorter than normal train is better than no train !!

If it was just the odd occasion I really would'nt mind so much, but as stated in the last 2 weeks this has accounted for 25% of my travel!
Just get the things bloody replaced if they are 40 years old.... Must cost more to maintain then leasing a nice new shiney one..?

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton

If it was just the odd occasion I really would'nt mind so much, but as stated in the last 2 weeks this has accounted for 25% of my travel!
Just get the things bloody replaced if they are 40 years old.... Must cost more to maintain then leasing a nice new shiney one..?

I never have these problems with the Gatwick express. Commuter for 17 years.

Ok there's other stuff I can moan about, but usually my experience of the express trains is ok.

I like the old express trains. They're comfy.

Railway maintenance is planned by network rail. Not Southern. On this occasion, give Southern a break.

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
After seeing this thread I just booked Seagulls travel from Hurstpierpoint and it's cost £9.25!

Gutted and no pints at The Battle of Traf before kick off

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009

Ok there's other stuff I can moan about, but usually my experience of the express trains is ok.

Railway maintenance is planned by network rail. Not Southern. On this occasion, give Southern a break.

Then you are very lucky. The 7.14 is often subjected to delay, cancellation, short formation and the ever popular technical-fault. They really are junk trains and make peak time journeys a lottery. I much prefer the regular Southern trains which in my experience are more reliable.

JTR938

Nov 24, 2012

Why should I? The service they provide is not equal to that of what they charge...
I get the whole network rail thing, but my issue is with Southern. Wait until the new year when priced go uo 9% and then see if you are saying "give them a break..."

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Why should I? The service they provide is not equal to that of what they charge...
I get the whole network rail thing, but my issue is with Southern. Wait until the new year when priced go uo 9% and then see if you are saying "give them a break..."

He said 'On this occasion, give them a break'.

Regarding services provided for the money spent, none of the train companies do that.

Mind you, given certain circumstances, a one-day Travelcard (with TFL use) for £8.95 isn't too shabby.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Then you are very lucky. The 7.14 is often subjected to delay, cancellation, short formation and the ever popular technical-fault. They really are junk trains and make peak time journeys a lottery. I much prefer the regular Southern trains which in my experience are more reliable.

This. If I get that train it never seems to be on time. Regularly arrives in to Brighton after the stock to form the 7.29 which leaves later :mad: . Regularly short formed. Internal doors that used to squash you that have now mostly been replaced. External doors that could strand you anywhere on the mainline. And if you get past all that then it sits at a red signal at Three Bridges for ever turning it from on time at HH to late at Gatwick. Presumably someone timetabled another service to cross in front of it and forgot the 7.14.

And these are the new trains that Gatwick Express are so proud of! :lolol:

JTR938

Nov 24, 2012
He said 'On this occasion, give them a break'.

Regarding services provided for the money spent, none of the train companies do that.

Mind you, given certain circumstances, a one-day Travelcard (with TFL use) for £8.95 isn't too shabby.

If I could travel to London and back every day for £8.95 I would be over the moon!! Its the £5,800pa I object to for what is a poor and inconsistant service!!
At £8.95 a day I would'nt complain once, honest!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here