Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sort of a question about copyright

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
NSCers with a bit of knowledge, sort of about copyright, a question for you. I've been alerted to a website, and a seller on eBay (same company) who has used images that have been posted on my website to produce prints of football shirts, which he is now selling on both his website and on eBay. I was contacted by one of the posters on my site complaining about this as he didn't want his images used like this. They are definitely images taken from my site, some have only ever been posted on my site, and some are in fact my own photos.

In response to a message I sent the seller he has said that he makes these prints using images that people have emailed him, so he assumes that the images are legitimate for him to use.

So NSC, whilst I am not overly fussed about this, others might be (indeed one person is), is there a legal precedent here, should this person be seeking permission before he uses these, or any other images? Can he use the argument that he didn't know, and to quote part of his reply to me "I'm not sure how I am meant to vet them".

Last edited:

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
I might be wrong here, but doesn't it depend on whether you've copyrighted the images on your website? I always assumed that you have to state clearly that images can't be reproduced without permission.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Copyright automatically belongs to whoever took the photos. Giving a website permission to use/license an image doesn't affect or lessen the owner's basic rights - if that's what you're asking?

Hornblower

Jul 7, 2003
Copyright automatically belongs to whoever took the photos. Giving a website permission to use/license an image doesn't affect or lessen the owner's basic rights - if that's what you're asking?

This is correct. Unless the originator of the image has assigned the copyright to a third party, the copyright will be owned by the originator. The 1988 Copyright Designs and Patents Act says that as soon as a work is in physical form (which would include digital) then copyright exists and nothing else needs to be done to establish copyright. The chap who is trying to plead innocence through ignorance is not immune from a claim for breach of copyright. The Government is trying (not very successfully) to put in place legislation that will deal with orphan works (works that a user cannot find the owner of) and extended collective licensing and part of establishing that a work is in fact 'orphan' is that the user must have conducted due diligence search to find the owner. Clearly in the case of this chap, he has not performed the necessary due diligence search as if he had he would have been able to establish the copyright owner and seek their permission. In short, he's banged to rights.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
In response to a message I sent the seller he has said that he makes these prints using images that people have emailed him, so he assumes that the images are legitimate for him to use.

So NSC, whilst I am not overly fussed about this, others might be (indeed one person is), is there a legal precedent here, should this person be seeking permission before he uses these, or any other images? Can he use the argument that he didn't know, and to quote part of his reply to me "I'm not sure how I am meant to vet them".

He shouldn't "assume" he should take reasonable steps to ensure the pictures aren't somebody else's copyright. Ignorance is no defence.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Thanks for the information, I though that ignorance couldn't be used as a reason, from what you've said it sounds like he really should be getting permission. I shall use what you've said and respond to him accordingly.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here