Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

IF we had got promoted, how do you think we'd be doing in the Premier League?

Shatners bassoon

Feb 15, 2012
I apologise if this has been done before and I haven't posted anything on here for ages, but I'm genuinely interested to know where we think we'd be if we'd have beaten Palace and Watford. My 10 year old season ticket holder daughter laughs out loud whenever she hears the latest Palace result, but I have to confess not being that confident we'd be that much better off.

I suppose there's a lot of conjecture involved;would Gus have stayed? Would our buys have been more successful than Hollaway's (hard to see how they could have been any worse?), but I'm genuinely interested to know whether there's an element of there but for the grace of God about it. Yes, I'd love the 60 million GBP, but I doubt our senior management would be splashing out given their apparent (I'd say sensible) financial restraint. Linked to this, would you prefer to be stuffed every week in the Premier League (with all those parachute payments) or always feel you were in with a chance in Championship?

forumwayseagull

Oct 22, 2005
Rochester kent
I have to say I would think we would be near the bottom....need time to get established in PL as it is brutal....can't imagine where you get next point from when your next batch of games are v Arsenal, Chelsea, spurs and Man utd etc..

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
We wouldn't have wasted x million pounds on a bunch of misfits purchased because, individually, they are good on football manager 13 as we have a decent scouting network.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
I am fairly confident that we would be a little bit worried about where our next point was coming from. Contrast that with where we actually are and I'm thinking that our next point is coming on Saturday. I know what I prefer.

Deano's Invisible Pants

Mar 1, 2008
Who knows? By the end of last season, we were definitely a better side than Palace (barring that fateful evening), and probably better than Hull too. On playing criteria alone and leaving aside the simmering discontent behind the scenes, I think we would have been as well prepared as any of the other promoted teams.

Would we have been relegated by the end of the season? Probably, but I suspect we would be accumulating a few more points than Palace are.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
With the chairman being a fan as well as owner TB would not allow us to be struggling he would have provided sufficient funds for us to be above the relegation zone.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Who knows where we would be. How many players and what quality would we have signed, all the injuries would have seen us struggling as well.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
We might have played well at home and got a few points but would be hammered away but I would have taken it to get expierence and parachute paymant and hope we to go back up again soon with a mixture of home grown players and bought p
Players and survive a few season untill we can produce a team to end up mid table. Then in about ten years we may be able to finish I the top half. That's the dream. Keep the faith.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I personally think our squad was short of Premier League standard, bid we knew where we needed to strengthen, very much different to Palace.

We had/have the scouting network in place to getting in the right players too compete in the top dedivision, and were Premier League Ready.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
It would have been too soon for us. But our infrastructure is better than Palace's, so we would have been better off than them, but how easy it is to say that when we haven't had to try.

Ideally, we'll finish this season strongly and go into next season with a manager whose feet are under the table, who understands this division, who knows the players he wants and we are able to go out and get them. We'll have moved into our new training complex and we'll be Premier League Ready off the pitch. The onfield stuff will fall into place when the club as a whole is ready. I think it is the sustainable model, but hey, take what comes. If we sneak a cheeky promotion this season, we'll go up ready to gice it a smack.

Westdene Wonder

Aug 3, 2010
Brighton
We would be with Palace and Sunderland,very relieved we did not get promoted last season and same goes for this season,chairman has cut back on spending so we are better off where we are

Dec 29, 2011
As things stand, I think we'd be in 16th place. We'd have kept Bridge, signed a decent LB and a few more quality players who want to play in the PL in a 32,500 all-seater stadium which will be full most of the time and want to train in the new £30M training facility which was about to open. We wouldn't be struggling to find a centre forward, that's for sure.

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
With the chairman being a fan as well as owner TB would not allow us to be struggling he would have provided sufficient funds for us to be above the relegation zone.

Slightly poor argument, as the Palace chairman is a lifelong and he gave them plenty of money. They just happened to spend it all on shit, which is their choice.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Our first win of the League season would have come against Sunderland.

Our next would have been against Newcastle at home as that's usually an easy one.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here