Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Unusal and interesting music venues.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Pretty simple this. Which bands/artists have you seen play live in odd locations? Going to start with a couple:

British Sea Power at Saltdean Cafe. (Many other places I could mention)

Captain Sensible at The Pink Coconut. (He played on a tiny stage and encouraged a stage invasion during his number one hit Happy Talk. Security were at a complete loss as what to do. This venue later became Creation and Tru. I never went there again)

T soprano

Oct 27, 2011
Posh end of Shoreham
RAZERLIGHT - free gig on Brighton beach about 5 years ago, I was cycling home from work around 4pm and stopped to watch the whole gig was later shown on Channel 4

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
RAZERLIGHT - free gig on Brighton beach about 5 years ago, I was cycling home from work around 4pm and stopped to watch the whole gig was later shown on Channel 4

I was at that too. It was bloody awful as well. I quite liked Razorlight before it but I remember they broke into that ridiculous "America" song & the gf and I were p*ssing ourselves with laughter.

T soprano

Oct 27, 2011
Posh end of Shoreham
I was at that too. It was bloody awful as well. I quite liked Razorlight before it but I remember they broke into that ridiculous "America" song & the gf and I were p*ssing ourselves with laughter.

Yeah wasn't a fan either but was a glorious summer afternoon getting :drink: on Brighton beach watching RAZERLIGHT for free just after doing 8 hours on a crappy building site:D

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
going to see Hawkwind tuesday at the old market in hove, ive never been there but reckon that will be unusual and interesting.

One of the best venues in the city- sadly underused. Be prepared for understaffed bar though. I recommend The Conqueror pub around the corner for refreshments.

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
going to see Hawkwind tuesday at the old market in hove, ive never been there but reckon that will be unusual and interesting.

I'm going as well. Saw Wilko Johnson there a few years ago and it's a pretty decent venue.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
British Sea Power at Saltdean Cafe. (Many other places I could mention)

I was at this as well. I remember watching most of the gig through the window from outside as the stage was actually lower than the audience. I went back in for the closer (SOSL I think it was) and Noble's weight put my back out for a week as I gave him a piggy back whilst he played guitar. Them's were the days.

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
Was in a bar in Brussels a few years back. Moby was having a drink and was persuaded to do some impromptu stuff. Very good he was too.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Saw Howard Jones at the Edinburgh Festival, must have been around 1990, he played in a tent on the hill near that acropolis type thing. He played a sort of acoustic show, very good it was too.

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
I saw Don Patridge at the Neville....it was comfortably the worst gig I have ever seen...sad really because I liked some of busker-style songs.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
I was at this as well. I remember watching most of the gig through the window from outside as the stage was actually lower than the audience. I went back in for the closer (SOSL I think it was) and Noble's weight put my back out for a week as I gave him a piggy back whilst he played guitar. Them's were the days.

I remember that evening for the low stage too. Could hardly see the band from where we were but still enjoyed it. Trying to recall if this was part of a tour or a one off. I seem to think it was after the release of Do You Like Rock Music.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Dr Robert from the Blow Monkeys supported by Mick Talbot (ex Style Council) at the Greys. Maybe not unusual venue but certainly for those two musicians.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
One of the best venues in the city- sadly underused. Be prepared for understaffed bar though. I recommend The Conqueror pub around the corner for refreshments.

Great venue. I saw Martha Reeves at the Concorde 2 a few years back and the gig was awful. The place is a rock venue. A month or two later I saw Candi Staton (funnily enough Talbot was on keybaords at that gig too) at the Old Market and it was the perfect place for an act like hers.

If you pop into the Coopers Cask when Pevenseagull is managing the place ask him about the Fall gig at the Old Market about 6 years ago when, very tipsy, he got on stage and hugged Mark E Smith. We found out later that Pevenseagull had a seabass in his coat pocket at the time.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here